Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm trying to remove my P-Bone M Headshok to replace it with a Super Fatty. When I remove the mud cover, I am faced with a grey galvanized surface with a place in the center to adjust the preload with an allen wrench. There are two small holes that are on either side of the center hole and it looks to me like a special tool is used to unscrew the headset. I know with the new headshoks, a single allen bolt is removed and the shock collapses but with this there is no bolt to remove. I have accidently unscrewed it before whe my mud cap bolt was stuck but I can't recreate that situation. So what is the deal? How can I get this thing off?

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
You need a soft hammer.

matt719 said:
Hi, I'm trying to remove my P-Bone M Headshok to replace it with a Super Fatty. When I remove the mud cover, I am faced with a grey galvanized surface with a place in the center to adjust the preload with an allen wrench. There are two small holes that are on either side of the center hole and it looks to me like a special tool is used to unscrew the headset. I know with the new headshoks, a single allen bolt is removed and the shock collapses but with this there is no bolt to remove. I have accidently unscrewed it before whe my mud cap bolt was stuck but I can't recreate that situation. So what is the deal? How can I get this thing off?

Thank you!
All you do is strike the top of the fork. The fork is being held in the bearings by a slight taper on the fork. Get a rubber mallet, support the frame, and give it a whack, right on top of the steer tube.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
No, it does not.

matt719 said:
I don't understand.... i know for a fact the headset unscrerws from the shock. Won't I need to unscrew it somehow?
THe two holes at the top of the steer are there to open up the headshock, but are not used to remove the fork from the frame. Take it to the shop, and have them yank it while you are watching. All you need to do is remove the top cap and stem, and smack the top of the steer with a rubber mallet. Do not take my word for it, just be sure to watch the shop do it. It is way easy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh ok, i was mistaken. I thought to remove the fork the headshock needed to be taken apart. I'll try hacking it like that.... I'm not too conserned about breaking it because i'm getting a new fork. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
need help

I know this is an old thread but I'm a new user and can't post new threads. :)

I have a P-Bone M headshok fork that I'd like to upgrade. Can I just buy a DLR80 cartridge and retrofit it? Would I just need the adjustment knobs to complete the installation?

I've read all of the old documentation and service manuals but they don't exactly tell me what will fit my forks. It's an old bike but I like it a lot. The urethane elastomer inside is dead and rather than finding a new one i'd rather upgrade to an air/oil shock.

thanks in advance for the help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts