Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm in the process of picking up a used P.1 frame. Not sure how I plan on using it yet, might just mess around town on it & keep it a SS. But since this is a just a frame I have a ton of options.

I've only really seen one P.1 w/ more of an 'Trail-bike' setup: http://mlav.com/new/mtbers/specialized/

I'm wondering how well the P series performs as an 'all-mountain' type of rig as opposed to just urban/park/DJ? Have you used your P series in such a way & was it worth it setting it up like that?

Thx,

Mark

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm almost finished building up my '04 P.2 as a trail bike. The top tube just happens to be the right length that the bike fits me fine for trail riding. I don't give a rat's A$$ if specailized didn't intend me to use it this way, I wanted a trail bike built on a beefy hardtail frame with plenty of standover clearancance and this works about perfectly. I don't weigh much and have been pretty easy on components, even though I do like a good 3 foot drop on a regular basis. The stock stuff was just too heavy to be enjoyable for what I want.

Here is my build:

'04 P.2 frame, size long
Fox TALAS fork
Easton carbon bar/ EA-70 stem
XTR cranks (big ring removed)
XT FD
X.9 RD
X.0 twisters
Thompson seatpost
WTB seat
XTR hubs Mavic rims, XTR centerlock disks
Candy pedals

The brakes and headset are the only things left from the original component list.

That is all I can think of now. I'll get pictures after christmas if anyone is interested.

·
I make light things heavy
123 Posts
26x26 P1 Cromo?

Is it possible to put a 26" wheel on the back end of an 06 P1 Cromo? Just trying to get an idea of the bikes versatility as compared to the Azonic Steelhead.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
hrsjqb1 said:
Is it possible to put a 26" wheel on the back end of an 06 P1 Cromo? Just trying to get an idea of the bikes versatility as compared to the Azonic Steelhead.
nope, the P.1 Cr-Mo is 24" specific. I have one and I have a P.2 bolth of them kill the steelhead IMO. I mean the steelhead is a really nice frame, but I love the feel of the P.1 crmo, it feels really amazing, especially from coming off a 15.5 inch 26X26 frame. But you can get the same feel with the aluminum P. frames if you put 130 travel on them..

on the P.1 I have hit some trails, but mostly dirtjumps and park. all I can tell you is that the bike is SOLID. the bike is also ectremly fast, most likely the fastest bike i've ever owned. no brake rub, the stock tire setup is really fast. the bike is prettymuch ..... perfict and pimp out of the box.

I got mine for $500.00 look around at your LBS (s) because mine is a 2006 and they discounted 200 bucks because they "scratched the frame" ....still cant find the scratch though
:) But if your planning on running gears, you cant. The P.1 Cr-Mo is SS specific

Attachments

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
hrsjqb1 said:
Does the 06 P1 caome in more than one size? The Specialized web site is a bit confusing.
No, it only comes in "long" but if you are anywhare in the 5'8"-6'3" range then you'll be fine. you arent going to want a big bike for agressive riding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.