Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
That will work. The tanks are relatively small, so you may have to fill them more frequently, so try to find a local place that can do it. You'll likely have them filled a couple times while you're practicing your joints. And then after that, you may complete a frame with one filling.

Smokebikes, I'm guessing by the link that he's in the UK.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It says it includes 10 and 20 cubic foot tanks. I've been told that most of the shops in my area will not fill these small tanks. I haven't pursued it yet to verify this but something to keep in mind.

·
mbtr member
6,494 Posts
moto367 said:
It says it includes 10 and 20 cubic foot tanks. I've been told that most of the shops in my area will not fill these small tanks. I haven't pursued it yet to verify this but something to keep in mind.
Places in my area exchange those.

I just built up a fillet brazed frame and used exactly all the acetylene. I would opt for something a little larger so you have some margin to screw around.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking of this kit because, it doesnt have the tanks so i can always rent the larger ones. Does anyone have problems with the tanks leaking over time. My mig tank used to discharge slowly over time

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Yes, you will get the odd bottle here and there. I've only had one acetylene tank leak but have had several small propane bottles leak.

Amazingly there was a guy here a few months back who was keeping his bottles and stuff in his apartment.

I gave him @$#%$, not that it seemed he was listening.

Drew

·
Registered
270 Posts
dru said:
I gave him @$#%$, not that it seemed he was listening.
I don't know if that guy ever moved his tanks, but I moved mine out into the shed after reading that thread -- so all your effort wasn't lost.

·
Registered
278 Posts
i have had a leaky acetylene B tank, i knew as soon as i got it home. i could smell the acetylene it so i squirted the valve with soapy water, saw that the valve body, not the valve screw, had a leak!!!! it was a very very unusual leak, it seemed to be coming out of the weld that held the 2 halves of the valve body together.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I'm really glad we are talking about this. Dying in a fire or explosion would not be a pleasant way to go.

Being I've been seen recently brazing in flip flops and only a pair of shorts, it is only too easy to become complacent as one's confidence and familiarity grows.

Drew

·
mbtr member
6,494 Posts
dru said:
I'm really glad we are talking about this. Dying in a fire or explosion would not be a pleasant way to go.

Being I've been seen recently brazing in flip flops and only a pair of shorts, it is only too easy to become complacent as one's confidence and familiarity grows.

Drew
same. I have little patches of missing body hair thanks to that familiarity.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
This brings up an important topic. For those hobby builders working out of your garages...where are you storing your tanks?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Nobody fills tanks, they exchange them. You don't own your tanks, you own A tank.
So yeah, having a size tank that is easily exchanged is important. You can switch sizes, but may need a couple $$$ worth of fittings.
Look at torch and reg brand and quality. You don't want a shitty off brand that will fail. My reg broke and a new nice one cost as much as the kit. Shame on me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts