Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, want to post again for ride this sat
Let's go ride the Owhyees, temps are staying low, no precipitation
would think it will be good and not muddy?


I was thinking meet at Bogus Park N Ride off 15th around what 7:30am on Sat?
Maybe all meet then start from trailhead around 9, ride for 2-4 hours?

just an initial suggestion for a ride/place/time.......

Full winter gear for sure, doh!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Rode out at Wilson on Monday. It was great to be on dirt again. There is not alot of 1 track to be had as it is still snow covered. The snow tends to drift in around the sage. Most of the dirt roads are bare and as long as your riding below 32 you will be fine. Might see you out there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More Info

Geoff was thinking to go out a bit later, mid morning or noon'ish
warmer and still the day is going to be cold so mud is not an issue (probably).

I'm good either way, actually....

What do folks want to do?

So far we have

Geoff
Craig

All are invited

and let me mention
Nels
Smilycook
Flip
Cbro
Brett
Mark
Mike (Buddha)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not an invite to a hammerfest

Bombin4X said:
Do I have to be fit to ride this dealeo or what?
I don't think folks are in training mode for racing yet;
let's just trailride!

I think a proper pace for all can be set, or the faster riders can wait up when they get way ahead.

Geoff, do you want to set up the time/place?

I am good for either morning or later as you said
 

·
Back of the pack fat guy
Joined
·
4,008 Posts
mtnbkrdr98 said:
Geoff, do you want to set up the time/place?

I am good for either morning or later as you said
Per Piltdown's message above, as long as it's below 32 out there, the trails should be good. Weather forecast for Saturday right now shows a high of 27, so that means we don't absolutely have to be out there early in the AM to catch frozen trails - they ideally should stay frozen all day. Given that it was only 7 degrees this morning, and only 20 out there right now, I'm thinking that for comfort sake if we got going from Boise around noon, with the goal to get to the trailhead and start riding at around 1, we'd hit the warmest part of the day and have enough light to ride for a couple of hours. If it's going to be only around 27, I'm pretty sure I won't have the desire to ride for more than a couple of hours.

Any other thoughts to time and place?

Bombin - mind if I try a set of your toe warmers? I've never used them before and I haven't picked up any Lake boots yet (although I have asked my wife for a pair for xmas). The warmer my toes are, the more willing I'd be to do a longer ride!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm good with noon

Earthpig said:
Per Piltdown's message above, as long as it's below 32 out there, the trails should be good. Weather forecast for Saturday right now shows a high of 27, so that means we don't absolutely have to be out there early in the AM to catch frozen trails - they ideally should stay frozen all day. Given that it was only 7 degrees this morning, and only 20 out there right now, I'm thinking that for comfort sake if we got going from Boise around noon, with the goal to get to the trailhead and start riding at around 1, we'd hit the warmest part of the day and have enough light to ride for a couple of hours. If it's going to be only around 27, I'm pretty sure I won't have the desire to ride for more than a couple of hours.

Any other thoughts to time and place?

Bombin - mind if I try a set of your toe warmers? I've never used them before and I haven't picked up any Lake boots yet (although I have asked my wife for a pair for xmas). The warmer my toes are, the more willing I'd be to do a longer ride!
I'm good meeting at the Park N Ride in N. End off 15th say about 11:45?
Then head west.

Hey, do you think maybe we could consider just do a local ride then?
At this point, it's the exercise I'm after, since I'm stiff in this cold weather and conditions
aren't such that we can really rip anyway?

Maybe we should do a dork loop like up chickadee, Red Sands or Freeway, Sidewinder,
or something else like Corrals? Just a thought, might be more conveneint.....
good either way. btw I have size 8.5 booties if you need to borrow them
no Lakes yet, you're a stud too. Hope you get them for Christmas!
 

·
TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
Joined
·
2,982 Posts
If'n u see any horses out there go'n shoot the filthy muthafeckers n bring me back the meat. There's enough hungry people in this town an I got so many childrens I got to feed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tried last time remember but they're skittish

TwistedCrank said:
If'n u see any horses out there go'n shoot the filthy muthafeckers n bring me back the meat. There's enough hungry people in this town an I got so many childrens I got to feed.
They're up on the ridges and they're wild!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Hope the forecast for Saturday is wrong...

Looking at the Noaa website widespread fog is predicted for the valley on Saturday. Wilson Creek area usually has thicker fog than Boise.....just love that combo of subfreezing temps, thick fog, and icy trails.

I talked to Piltdown on Tuesday......snow on the singletrack had melted and frozen to form an ice layer beneath the snow. Made for some interesting traction........

I may be out there anyway......beats shopping at the mall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,544 Posts
When I was out there on a frigid Turkey Day, I parked at that one parking area off to the right shortly after you pass over that split in the road. I took the road that followed the powerlines for a while and turned around as soon as the road when down a ways. It was getting pretty late so I decided to cross over Wilson Creek and ride around more familiar territory before going home to thaw out.

Anyways with regards to where I turned around...where does that road lead? Off in the distance you could see a number of houses, but didn't know exactly where that road went.
 

·
just a man
Joined
·
1,865 Posts
Abo Lutely

Earthpig said:
Bombin - mind if I try a set of your toe warmers? I've never used them before and I haven't picked up any Lake boots yet (although I have asked my wife for a pair for xmas). The warmer my toes are, the more willing I'd be to do a longer ride!
Totally. Let's warm them pig hoofs nice and toasty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
You were headed toward Givens Hotsprings....

BelaySlave said:
When I was out there on a frigid Turkey Day, I parked at that one parking area off to the right shortly after you pass over that split in the road. I took the road that followed the powerlines for a while and turned around as soon as the road when down a ways. It was getting pretty late so I decided to cross over Wilson Creek and ride around more familiar territory before going home to thaw out.

Anyways with regards to where I turned around...where does that road lead? Off in the distance you could see a number of houses, but didn't know exactly where that road went.
Which would be a good idea for a post ride stop if it wasn't too crowded.......
 

·
Back of the pack fat guy
Joined
·
4,008 Posts
mtnbkrdr98 said:
I'm good meeting at the Park N Ride in N. End off 15th say about 11:45?
Then head west.

Hey, do you think maybe we could consider just do a local ride then?
At this point, it's the exercise I'm after, since I'm stiff in this cold weather and conditions
aren't such that we can really rip anyway?

Maybe we should do a dork loop like up chickadee, Red Sands or Freeway, Sidewinder,
or something else like Corrals? Just a thought, might be more conveneint.....
good either way. btw I have size 8.5 booties if you need to borrow them
no Lakes yet, you're a stud too. Hope you get them for Christmas!
Local is good too. No sense to drive an hour there and an hour back to ride on ice when we can do that in the foothills. I've been wondering how the traction is on Hard Guy. You make the call as to where and when - I like the Owyhees, but I'm not married to going out there tomorrow.

I've got booties and warm socks, so I should be good. As for the boots, I'd need at least a size 44.5 or 45 in the Lakes. Not sure where I could try some on - what shop(s) in town carries them in stock? Shoes are definitely one thing I don't buy online.
 

·
TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
Joined
·
2,982 Posts
Earthpig said:
I've got booties and warm socks, so I should be good. As for the boots, I'd need at least a size 44.5 or 45 in the Lakes. Not sure where I could try some on - what shop(s) in town carries them in stock? Shoes are definitely one thing I don't buy online.
Got my Lakes at IMT for same price as on-line plus shipping so it all evens out in the end. You haven't been banned from there have you? Lakes don't come in half sizes tho. You can stuff em with wool and KY.

I'm available until noon if you guys are starting earlier then ping me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nels and I tried HG last Sunday

Earthpig said:
Local is good too. No sense to drive an hour there and an hour back to ride on ice when we can do that in the foothills. I've been wondering how the traction is on Hard Guy. You make the call as to where and when - I like the Owyhees, but I'm not married to going out there tomorrow.

I've got booties and warm socks, so I should be good. As for the boots, I'd need at least a size 44.5 or 45 in the Lakes. Not sure where I could try some on - what shop(s) in town carries them in stock? Shoes are definitely one thing I don't buy online.
It was okay for a little while but then when we got to the climb just one before the beetch climb, there would be no traction left. It might be better now though if it's not icy.....

hmmm, maybe an option
 

·
Back of the pack fat guy
Joined
·
4,008 Posts
TwistedCrank said:
Got my Lakes at IMT for same price as on-line plus shipping so it all evens out in the end. You haven't been banned from there have you? Lakes don't come in half sizes tho. You can stuff em with wool and KY.

I'm available until noon if you guys are starting earlier then ping me.
10 AM, Camelsback. Look for the idiot with KY stains, a low-quality Surly 1x1 and cold toes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Been doing short afternoon rides in foothills this week. Getting amazingly good traction on the broken snowfloor. Not here to tell anyone what to ride, but will say there is more dirt at Wilson/Reynolds than over here. Don`t even want to head towards the Snake if the fog roles in. This may be old news but there is a webcam at Dans Ferry service. It gives one a idea as to the conditions.

http://home.rmci.net/ponderosa/allcams.htm
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top