Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a hard time deciding on new tires, options seem never-ending. I'm hoping for some feedback. My local trails are mostly loose over hard with some sand and gravel. They also have quite a few small to medium rocks and roots with a good bit of climbing involved. Trails are almost never wet and when they are, they are closed. My bike is a hardtail with 120mm of travel. Currently running Maxxis High Roller II front and rear, 29x2.3 setup tubeless. They have been ok, they roll pretty slow and seem a bit sketchy in cornering (probably from me not being aggressive enough).

I "think" I've decided on a 29x2.4 Maxxis Rekon DC for the rear but am undecided on the front still. Currently considering DHR2, Dissector, Aggressor, and Forekaster. I have also considered Teravail Honcho's but they seem to be out of stock everywhere and nowhere local sells them. All my local places sell mostly Maxxis.

Any opinions or advice?

Thanks!

· Registered
1,261 Posts
I've run Rekons exclusively (2.8F, 2.6R) for years. Changing to Aggressor rear (for more toughness) but sticking with the 2.8 Rekon front. They work pretty great in all conditions other than mud, which loads them up.

· Registered
380 Posts
Looks fairly similar. What are you running on the rear?
On the back I have run a Rock Razor 2.35, then a Hans Dampf 2.35 both in eco snakeskin. The Hans Dampf had better grip and negligible difference in rolling resistance.

I'm currently running a WTB Trail Boss 2.4 light/fast rolling w/slash guard. This is definitely my favourite rear tyre for these conditions.

· high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
I don't screw around on the front. Assegai MaxxGrip on my full suspension, DHF MaxxTerra on my hardtail. Both are incredible, with the DHF having less rolling resistance.

On the rear, Dissector (MaxxTerra) and Aggressor (DC) respectively. Of the two, the Dissector is hands down the better tire for anything black and above. It's on the steep techy downs that the Aggressor hits its limits. If you like surfing or skiing, the Aggressor is the tire for you. It'll skid all day long down anything steep. The Dissector has been the perfect replacement for me for my super draggy DHR2.

Assegai Dissector is my favorite combo for your dry loose rocky conditions. Add roots and those are my conditions. Desert like. I have not seen mud for months.

Yesterday:
Bicycle Tire Cloud Wheel Sky
Bicycle Wheel Tire Cloud Sky

· Registered
723 Posts
I've been very impressed with Teravail tires. Supple, lightish, good feel, great traction, don't feel like dogs. Running a Honcho/Ehline combo, but you could run Honcho on both ends. Jenson has them in stock.

· Registered
2,703 Posts
If you want something faster rolling, almost every recommendation in this thread will be a step backwards.

I would check out the forekaster 2.6 (if you have wide rims) with your Rekon rear choice you have made. Forekaster works great in blown out loose over hard, loose rock and any time those roots are still damp even though the dirt is hero.

If you are struggling to make a forekaster hook up, look at your body position, and get feedback from a rider or coach. You are likely turning “from behind the bars and not putting downward pressure on the outside grip. That drives the Kobe’s straight into the earth vs sliding them across trying to create friction.

The high rollers do have a transition gap if you don’t properly lean the tire into the side knobs. Especially if you have missed sized tires for your run. But they are not sketchy otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
If you want something faster rolling, almost every recommendation in this thread will be a step backwards…
There's not a lot of detail on what the OP is looking to improve, except "They have been ok, they roll pretty slow and seem a bit sketchy in cornering."

I go for traction in the front and something faster rolling in the rear. I find that it's my rear tire that drags a lot more than my front. Traction in the front is non-negotiable for me. I think a lot depends on terrain.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you want something faster rolling, almost every recommendation in this thread will be a step backwards.

I would check out the forekaster 2.6 (if you have wide rims) with your Rekon rear choice you have made. Forekaster works great in blown out loose over hard, loose rock and any time those roots are still damp even though the dirt is hero.

If you are struggling to make a forekaster hook up, look at your body position, and get feedback from a rider or coach. You are likely turning "from behind the bars and not putting downward pressure on the outside grip. That drives the Kobe's straight into the earth vs sliding them across trying to create friction.

The high rollers do have a transition gap if you don't properly lean the tire into the side knobs. Especially if you have missed sized tires for your run. But they are not sketchy otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for the detailed response. I ordered a dissector for the front. I couldn't decide between that and the forekaster, hopefully I like it.

Sketchy probably wasn't a good word choice. I'm sure it's my technique rather than the tires.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There's not a lot of detail on what the OP is looking to improve, except "They have been ok, they roll pretty slow and seem a bit sketchy in cornering."

I go for traction in the front and something faster rolling in the rear. I find that it's my rear tire that drags a lot more than my front. Traction in the front is non-negotiable for me. I think a lot depends on terrain.
That's fair. Mainly I'm hoping for something faster rolling, hoping it makes climbs a bit easier. I think my cornering experience is a result of my technique, not the tires. The high rollers are probably more tire than I need and unnecessarily slowing me down.

· Registered
Beers. Bikes. Battlestar Galactica.
331 Posts
The Dissector is pretty much made for those kinds of conditions. It's good everywhere except wet rocks, but for loose over hard it's top.

I run Assegai MaxxGrip/Dissector MaxxTerra in the dry and swap the rear out for a DHR in the wet. There's a noticeable difference in rolling speed/efficiency. I tried a lighter, less sticky Assegai on the front and didn't notice much difference except for less grip.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.