Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running re my kid, I don't know who else to ask until we can see a pediatric cardiologist next week, and I've got some 'mileage' with you guys (plus I've posted many photos of him racing here...). I don't expect a medical diagnosis or any medical advice, I'm just wondering if this might be somewhat consistent with over training: my kid is 17 1/2, good high school runner, he doesn't like to take any easy weeks. He's been solid and self motivated for a year, which is very impressive - but I lost my biking partner. He had his first cc race for this season on Sunday, just a 2 mile invitational and did a 10:32, then after he got home and ate, he went out and ran 10 miles, he does a lot of 5 mile runs, intervals, & hill repeats, he usually takes one day off per week. Yesterday he complained of some 'chest tightness/pain', right about at the sternum, a dull pain. Wife took him to dr, nothing wrong found from a normal checkup, and he did "8 800s" with the team afterwards. This morning he complained of some arm pain (both sides) in addition to the chest, - and some pain/sensation in two fingertips on each side. Back to dr today, for xray and blood work, pediatric cardiologist appt next week. Heart and lungs all good from the xrays, The only thing off is CK on the bloodwork, which I read is: "(CK) is an enzyme found in the heart, brain, skeletal muscle, and other tissues. Increased amounts of CK are released into the blood when there is muscle damage. This test measures the amount of creatine kinase in the blood. ". CK is 403, normal range is 30-223. He did have a mild covid case in mid may, I think he took 2 days off from running, 1 of those days was because his mom made him rest, it was mostly like a cold for him.
My first thought is overtraining, - "take an easy week!, you're way overdue!" (but who listens to dad??). Thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Training is hard to balance. We are told at all levels that you need to train hard and that is true. But to put it simply training too hard is bad, really bad. Training at 90% of your capacity beats by a lot training at 101% your capacity.

The two common culprits in training are too much intensity and too little rest. My rule of thumb is 2 maybe 3 intensity sessions a week and at least two light training days. Ideally one as a day off and one as an easy day.

If you do manage to get him to take some rest tell him not to worry fitness comes back really quickly. Last year during her pregnancy and postpartum my wife took significant time off and did no intensity at all for 10 months. Within 3 months of starting training again she was with 2% of her all time peak wattage values.

·
Registered
2020 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 GX/X01
49 Posts
Completely agree with LMN. I coach high school track so know how driven some of these kids can be. I would remind him that the body gets stronger/fitter during recovery, NOT training. Training causes the damage, rest builds back better. Without enough rest, potential benefits from training are lost. He will likely see that he is actually faster after some real rest. Finally, he needs to think long term. If he wants to run competitively through college, he needs to pace himself. Burnout happens often at this age. We see some talented seniors do worse in their senior year than junior because they are just worn down. Those state titles they think they are training hard for never go realized.

Best of luck.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered Dietitian
1,990 Posts
Absolutely no intention to be alarmist – but you should be aware that pericarditis is common post Covid, even with mild cases. Hard exercise with inflammation of the pericardium present could cause cardiac damage. It would definitely be smart to get it checked out.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Absolutely no intention to be alarmist - but you should be aware that pericarditis is common post Covid, even with mild cases. Hard exercise with inflammation of the pericardium present could cause cardiac damage. It would definitely be smart to get it checked out.
thanks! yes, we are getting as much info as we can, I think an echo cardiogram (?) is on the list soon.
thanks all.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Absolutely no intention to be alarmist - but you should be aware that pericarditis is common post Covid, even with mild cases. Hard exercise with inflammation of the pericardium present could cause cardiac damage. It would definitely be smart to get it checked out.
This alarms me too for him.

I'm possibly dealing with something similar. Has he had the vaccine recently? Seems often treatable with NSAIDs and time I hope for the Acute cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Joe Friel does a nice job explaining just how deep to go with intensity and workload while avoiding too much overreach, and certainly the perils of overtraining.

It's interesting that overtraining is not even a thing per some critics.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I had similar symptoms earlier this year, and it ended up just being intercostal muscle inflammation. That'd make sense with the CK values being high. I am not a human doctor! But I am a Veterinarian :)
How long did it take to resolve? This was my other consideration. Ive been walking a thin line of training perhaps a little aggressively as I claw back from Covid Pneumonia. Did you have random sharp pain at the rib/sternum?

I thought about making a thread on the recovery experience, but I don't want it to turn into a pity party.

·
Registered
13 Posts
How long did it take to resolve? This was my other consideration. Ive been walking a thin line of training perhaps a little aggressively as I claw back from Covid Pneumonia. Did you have random sharp pain at the rib/sternum?

I thought about making a thread on the recovery experience, but I don't want it to turn into a pity party.

Yep! Exactly that. Went to the doc thinking my heart was failing and she laughed at me. I had radiographs done and everything looked great. She said if it's heart it would get worse as your heart rate increases. Mine was with deep breaths, or just simply sitting at my desk. All of a sudden I'd notice it. Mine flared up the night after or day after excessive heavy breathing. I also couldn't stop probing it and poking it with my finger! That probably didn't help. Haha. She told me to take a couple of weeks off. I took 2 off. It was brutal! Finally had to do some house projects :cautious:

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This alarms me too for him.

I'm possibly dealing with something similar. Has he had the vaccine recently? Seems often treatable with NSAIDs and time I hope for the Acute cases.

He has not been recently vaxxed, he had covid in mid May, a 'high positive' result (115+ AU/mL) from an antibody test in late June as part of a research study we're participating in, I expect we will get more antibody blood tests again before too long.
Symptoms are better today with a day off, imagine that! (although he is being a grouch...), we will move forward to eliminate all serious possibilities.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
I'm no trainer but I'm attempting to arrange a real training program for myself over the last few weeks and watching several good videos on training there seems to be a focus on a lot of rest about every 3 weeks, and it sounds like your son is pushing really hard.

Supposed to spend 1 week per month at a low level of training for the body to recover.

GL

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
follow up: we saw a pediatric cardiologist yesterday, and he some sort of scan on Tues that my wife took him to (and echo cardiogram I think). The cardiologist and other gave him the 'all clear', nothing to worry about. Apparently it was muscular-skeletal (he felt a lot better after a visit to the chiropractor), and a few easy days helped too I think. Thank you all for the good input.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.