Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Still learning
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been pretty clear for a few weeks now that I've fallen into a pit of being badly overtrained. A few weeks ago I went a saw a doc, took some blood, short version is anaemia and he's asked (told) me to get more iron. However a few weeks on of doing that I'm not feeling any better.

I'm curious to hear if anyone else has gone and completely flattened themselves, and if so how long it took them to bounce back?

For anyone curious how I managed to drive myself so deep into the ground, the timeline of this looked something like this:

Week ending 14th September, start of a six-week period of very high intensity work. No tapering, no rest weeks.
Week ending 19th October, starting to feel like I had no power in my legs.
25th Oct, 6 hour race all the training had gone into. Came 4th (from 65 starters), but felt way further flat of where I felt I should have been.
2nd Nov, Nationals round 1. 2nd in the crit on Thursday, but then on Saturday and Sunday for the nationals race I was just flat and had nothing.
9th Nov, only 4 hours riding that week to recover.
16th Nov, pulled out of 6 hour on first lap, just had no power in legs.
23rd Nov, 1.5 hrs ITS, a crit - where my times went from being front of B to middle of C grade.
30 Nov, Nationals #2, Had nothing on the friday, HR before the race was 130 but felt slightly better, blew up within 4 minutes in the crit on Sunday.
7 Dec, 2.5hrs - crit only, got dropped from A grade on the fist lap, times were back-middle B grade.
14 Dec (this week): 4.3 hrs so far, of which 1.5 was today doing a practice lap at the nationals course - RHR thismorning was 75bpm, SHR was 120, hit VO2 early in the lap and was thoroughly stuffed.

So basically for the last 6 weeks I've backed it off a lot, though not entirely.

Any advise or words of wisdom would be good - I've already dropped the entire state series from my race calendar, and have penciled in at least the next two weeks of either no riding at all of 3hrs/week max, and no racing.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
3 stage days of long riding (it lasts many days, and is very long, I only followed it for 3 days)
On the 1st day, I was racing uphill with some guys, and it was very long, the dinner they gave us was crappy, no real breakfast. 2nd day, i got bored because those friends had left, so I would sprint a lot (mostly flat). I didn't like the food that day (picky eater), so I regretted it the next day. I was mostly at the back, extremely tired for the whole ride.
I was very tires for the next 3 or 4 days, and I was fine by the next week (with a noticeable fitness loss)

·
Still learning
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For anyone curious, a bit of an update: Took December off, so early January had to be used (carefully) to re-build fitness.
Did a crit on Sautrday - 45 minutes at 95%MHR, and came second overall.
Then did another crit last night - Normally I'd be doing 10 minute flat laps, with the fastest guys doing 8:45s, and the back C graders doing 13s... 11:25s every lap. I was absolutely wrecked, nothing in my legs at all. I was able to hold the fast B-graders through the singletrack, but as soon as we came to anything that required spinning the pedals and/or producing power, nup, gone.

Not good :(
This is 3 months on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.