Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming that the trails will dry out over the next couple of weeks, I am looking for suggestions of overnight rides in the area. I was thinking Golden Gate Canyon SP, Buff Creek, and the CT... not sure which segments of the CT would be best for an out and back. I would be willing to drive up to 2 hours or so. I have the week of Memorial day off, so planning on some mid week adventures. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Also, is there a water source around BC? at the ranger station?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ok - I would suggest Buffalo Creek. There are a few campgrounds in the area. One is Green Mtn Campground which is right off of the CT. Lots of good riding on the CT and Buffalo Creek.

Golden Gate SP is a good place to camp, but the riding is no bueno compared to Buff creek.
Here is directions to Green Mtn campground.
From U.S. Highway 285 turn south at Pine Junction on to Jefferson County Road 126 for 13.5 miles to Forest Service Road 550. Travel west for 5.5 miles. Stay left for another 2.5 miles. Green Mountain campground will be on the left.

You can also camp along FR 550 for free and there a few good spots. We've had bad weather lately but Buff creek area dries out quickly.-- Good luck

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
Assuming that the trails will dry out over the next couple of weeks, I am looking for suggestions of overnight rides in the area. I was thinking Golden Gate Canyon SP, Buff Creek, and the CT... not sure which segments of the CT would be best for an out and back. I would be willing to drive up to 2 hours or so. I have the week of Memorial day off, so planning on some mid week adventures. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Also, is there a water source around BC? at the ranger station?
You talkin' bikepack overnight or car camp and ride a couple days overnight?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Preferably bikepacking. I've wanted to do an overnight on the CT, but not sure which segments would be the most fun. Also it is early for anything after the first few anyways...

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
Preferably bikepacking. I've wanted to do an overnight on the CT, but not sure which segments would be the most fun. Also it is early for anything after the first few anyways...
If I were you I'd drive the two hours.

Come up to Buena Vista and ride/camp the Colorado Trail between Cottonwood Creek and Highway 50. Stuff here below 9000 feet is either clear or getting there. I rode our lower section of Rainbow Trail the last two Saturdays. The wet weather last week and weekend was only an annoyance here. If I had chosen my timing more carefully I could have easily gotten in 4+ hour rides without getting wet. I got rained on some on Friday in the early part of my ride (beauty sunshine later), then Saturday got started too late and got snowed and then rained on around 2 PM and later (weather was fine at start of the ride). Sunday morning was really wet and overcast, with a couple inches of slush on the ground so I did a road ride. But if I'd waited until mid-afternoon I think I could have ridden some messy singletrack.

By Mammory Day there will be a ton of cool singletrack around here GTG. Some of the Colorado Trail (Raspberry Gulch) would be fine right now I'm sure, but you'd find snow on higher/shadier spots.

Go west young man.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Golden Gate has backpacking/bikepacking shelters that are Appalachian Trail style open lean-tos. I don't know if they can be reserved or not. Of course, they also have regular campgrounds and even yurts, but for Memorial Day, I'm sure they are all spoken for at this point.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've seen people bike packing before from the Indian creek trailhead and riding towards buff creek just as a suggestion
There is water avail for CT users at the volunteer fire station where the CT crosses hwy 126

·
SS in CO
613 Posts
x2 on GGC. it's a great place to ride, but it's not really a bikepacking place to ride. all the trails circle back on each other and you're never that far away from the roads. great riding, don't get me wrong, but just not that much actual mileage to get anything good for bikepacking.

unless you're ok setting up camp and doing loops back to your campsite. IMO

J.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys, thanks for all the suggestions. I am leaning towards the Salida area, as I have some friends there. Looking forward to adventure!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I were you I'd drive the two hours.

Come up to Buena Vista and ride/camp the Colorado Trail between Cottonwood Creek and Highway 50. Stuff here below 9000 feet is either clear or getting there. I rode our lower section of Rainbow Trail the last two Saturdays. The wet weather last week and weekend was only an annoyance here. If I had chosen my timing more carefully I could have easily gotten in 4+ hour rides without getting wet. I got rained on some on Friday in the early part of my ride (beauty sunshine later), then Saturday got started too late and got snowed and then rained on around 2 PM and later (weather was fine at start of the ride). Sunday morning was really wet and overcast, with a couple inches of slush on the ground so I did a road ride. But if I'd waited until mid-afternoon I think I could have ridden some messy singletrack.

By Mammory Day there will be a ton of cool singletrack around here GTG. Some of the Colorado Trail (Raspberry Gulch) would be fine right now I'm sure, but you'd find snow on higher/shadier spots.

Go west young man.
Hey Tom, I've been checking the Absolute bikes site for trail conditions religiously... Do you think there is any chance that the CT will be rideable from cottonwood to US50 by Wednesday AM?

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
Hey Tom, I've been checking the Absolute bikes site for trail conditions religiously... Do you think there is any chance that the CT will be rideable from cottonwood to US50 by Wednesday AM?
I'll see what I can find out. I put on a ride called the Salida Big Friggin' Loop that's June 6. It needs that whole stretch of trail. So I was planning to go do recon missions this coming weekend. I know a guy in BV. If the Cottonwood to Chalk Creek section is OK the next part south probably is too, and my friend might know about Cottonwood to Chalk.

I rode the Rainbow Trail from Silver Creek to 285 today. It was schweet. Except for down trees and what-all.

Expect that on the CT this spring by the way. If it is snow free now, that doesn't mean it's blowdown free. This interesting May we've had has wreaked a bit of havoc on the woods, at least round here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts