Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ready to make the switch to tubeless and have decided to get Stan's wheels (likely Crests) with UST Racing Ralphs (for a little more reliability). I keep getting talked out of the UST tires by locals saying they are overkill for where we ride / race - especially when matched to Stan's wheels.

I am now considering getting Crests with non-UST Ralphs. Here is the question: would having the wheels built with the yellow tape AND the rubber rim strip reduce the chances of burping or should I just go with the yellow tape only?

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
pop_martian said:
Yellow tape only.
+1.

Been racing yeller tape only for years. Have yet to burp a tire, and I've found that I descend faster then most. I have blown a Conti Twister SS off the rim twice, but I blame the tire(1 tire did it both times). The bigger issue to me, is them sometimes not airing up(yes i use a bigarse compressor) as reliably without the strips.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I got a set of Crests w/ AC hubs 3 weeks ago. Yellow tape only, a 2.1 Crossmark in front and a 1.95 UST Ignitor on the rear ATM (because I had those 2 in my garage).

After 175 miles I haven't had any problems, no pressure loss or anything weird. They weigh <1400g for the set.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
You will be fine with the yellow tape. Honestly though, don't get the UST RR. They are SO much heavier than the regular ones. If you want something a bit more durable, you can get the snakeskin version, or double defense... I forget which they offer in the 26" Ralphs. The supple sidewalls and rubber compound in the regular ones is what make them work so well.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
+1

briscoelab said:
You will be fine with the yellow tape. Honestly though, don't get the UST RR. They are SO much heavier than the regular ones. If you want something a bit more durable, you can get the snakeskin version, or double defense... I forget which they offer in the 26" Ralphs. The supple sidewalls and rubber compound in the regular ones is what make them work so well.
Exactly. Yellow tape. For my durable setup I run a Racing Ralph snakeskin up front and double defense in the back. That combo has done my well on 100+ milers and everything in between.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts