Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
mbtr member
Joined
·
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
changed to some aztec pads after the stock hayes pads wore out after only 300 miles(is this typical?) these pads overheat- blacken the rotor and don't stop so good after a little use. Should i just throw these pads on the back and just get oem hayes pads for the front in the future, or is my 225lb lardass just more man than they can handle? Maybe i should opt for a bigger front rotor? I'd love some wisdom, internet.
 

·
Meh.
Joined
·
17,508 Posts
Don't brake like a soccer mom would be my first suggestion. Don't just wail on the brakes.

If you're experiencing fade, a bleed may help. All my brakes are bled with DOT 5.1. After a while, brake fluid gets old and nasty, and absorbs moisture from the atmosphere. And thus the boiling point lowers.

I have no experience with Aztec pads. Pad wear is dependent on what type of terrain, what sort of weather, and how the rider brakes.
 

·
mbtr member
Joined
·
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
Don't brake like a soccer mom would be my first suggestion. Don't just wail on the brakes.

If you're experiencing fade, a bleed may help. All my brakes are bled with DOT 5.1. After a while, brake fluid gets old and nasty, and absorbs moisture from the atmosphere. And thus the boiling point lowers.
so... i should ride slower? :skep:

change pads and fade appears, so i should check my brake fluid? :skep:

so, is 300 miles a normal lifespan for front pads, and would it make sense to change to a larger rotor?

tia!
 

·
Meh.
Joined
·
17,508 Posts
scottzg said:
so... i should ride slower? :skep:

change pads and fade appears, so i should check my brake fluid? :skep:

so, is 300 miles a normal lifespan for front pads, and would it make sense to change to a larger rotor?

tia!
No, you should brake better and more effectively.

Air in the system or old DOT fluid can really hinder the performance of the brakes. And IMO, it is worth checking.

As I said, lifespan of the pads is dependent on all sorts of things.

If you feel as if the smaller rotors simply cannot dissipate the heat fast enough, then yes, a larger rotor would help. You are a bigger guy too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Try this...

Try our Sintered metallic pads, they're the ones with the copper colored backing plate, sounds like you might have had our semi metallic pad with the black backing plate. Make sure to bed them in properly. If your fork can handle a 7" rotor (check with fork mfg.) that will also help (15%) more power.

FYI, We don't recommend the use of DOT 5.1 fluid in our brakes.

Randy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
Try our Sintered metallic pads, they're the ones with the copper colored backing plate, sounds like you might have had our semi metallic pad with the black backing plate...
Second the sintered metallic pads. A set sintered metallics, while they maybe noisier, will last 2 years for me and the semi-metallics will last 4 - 6 months.
 

·
Meh.
Joined
·
17,508 Posts
Try our Sintered metallic pads, they're the ones with the copper colored backing plate, sounds like you might have had our semi metallic pad with the black backing plate. Make sure to bed them in properly. If your fork can handle a 7" rotor (check with fork mfg.) that will also help (15%) more power.

FYI, We don't recommend the use of DOT 5.1 fluid in our brakes.

Randy
Not arguing with you, but most DOT 5.1s are compatible with DOT 3 and 4 systems, and can be mixed with either fluid.
 

·
mbtr member
Joined
·
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Try our Sintered metallic pads, they're the ones with the copper colored backing plate, sounds like you might have had our semi metallic pad with the black backing plate. Make sure to bed them in properly. If your fork can handle a 7" rotor (check with fork mfg.) that will also help (15%) more power.

Randy
so there is a 'hotter' pad available- perfect! really, i didn't have a problem with the original pads, just looking at options.

thanks a lot!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,854 Posts
scottzg said:
so there is a 'hotter' pad available- perfect! really, i didn't have a problem with the original pads, just looking at options.

thanks a lot!
There is a +2 option too, EBC reds.
I have the Hayes sintered pads, and swapped in a set of EBC Reds (DH race oriented) in the front for lift-access last year, and they do have a bit more grip. The description says they actually heat up less than metallic pads too, and I didn't notice any fade during runs. I expect them to wear quicker though.
 

·
Meh.
Joined
·
17,508 Posts
fsrxc said:
There is a +2 option too, EBC reds.
I have the Hayes sintered pads, and swapped in a set of EBC Reds (DH race oriented) in the front for lift-access last year, and they do have a bit more grip. The description says they actually heat up less than metallic pads too, and I didn't notice any fade during runs. I expect them to wear quicker though.
EBC Reds are like bubble gum on hot asphalt.

I ran Kool-Stops with lasercut aluminum rotors for a while. Worked pretty well.

Galfer pads are excellent as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,854 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
EBC Reds are like bubble gum on hot asphalt.

I ran Kool-Stops with lasercut aluminum rotors for a while. Worked pretty well.

Galfer pads are excellent as well.
Are you saying you like or don't like the Reds? They seem fine to me but I'm light and not a DH racer.

I've found the Koolstops good too, seem as good as the Hayes sintered pads (and they're about half the price round here anyway).
 

·
Meh.
Joined
·
17,508 Posts
fsrxc said:
Are you saying you like or don't like the Reds? They seem fine to me but I'm light and not a DH racer.

I've found the Koolstops good too, seem as good as the Hayes sintered pads (and they're about half the price round here anyway).
They're nice, very grabby.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,645 Posts
yeah dog, if your 230 pounds then a 160 mil rotor is just too small...you need 8 inch rotors front and back (you'll have to get the larger mounting brackets too)...i've used aztec pads before, they work just as good as any other brand
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top