Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a little taste of heat stoke today, or the early stages of it at least. I didn't even figure out what had happened until about 30 mins after I stopped riding. Today was about 95 and muggy. I had in mind to ride at the end of the day. I was running around all day, not paying attention to the temperature. Got everything wrapped up and threw the bike on the rack and went to a place called Saw Nee Key Forest preserve in Yorkville, Il. This place has a lot of 5-15' steep roller coaster hills. You work really hard, but don't go that fast, hence not a lot of air to cool you.

I rode good for about 25 min. and then in the span of about 5 mins, I hit the wall hard. Nearly complete lack of energy. Had to sit down on the trail at one point. At the time, I just thought I was having an off day. Got back to my car; was lightheaded and very tired. Heart was beating 120 at rest. It took about twenty minutes to drive home and my HR stayed at 120 the
whole time. When I got home I saw in the mirror that I was a fairly well developed shade of red. The skin on my torso was hot to the touch. This is what finally clued me in as to my condition. I stood in a cold shower for about 15 mins. and my HR dropped to 90.

Moral of my story is, overheating can come on fast, and you may not realize what is happening. In retrospect, it would have been a good day to run on the treadmill underneath an AC duct...

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
Always make sure to hydrate VERY well before a ride in that type of heat. Also, try to keep it in the back of your mind to take a drink at least @ every 15mins. The feeling of thirst is actually a later stage of needing hydration.

Be careful out there.

:cool:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Reminds me of an article that I think was in Outdoors or Men's Health or something similar about what happens as you die from various traumatic events (falling off a cliff, drowning, stung by deadly aussy jellifish). The article used hypothetical situations to tell the story behind each one. The section for heat stroke involved a fictional mountain biker in a race on a hot day who simply bonked going up a hill, rolled off the course into some tall weeds and died quietly as other racers went by close by. The imagery stuck with me.

Keep telling your story to your friends and anybody else you meet on the trail. It may stick with them.

Ron in SD

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
reminds me of an attempt to do the "express" Half Dome climb in Yosemite a couple years back while not in the best physical condition. made it 99% of the way and just dropped to my knees half way up the stairs near the top. could not move for 30 min, then finally came down off the steps only to sit in the shade for another 45 before i could start the trek back down. while on my knees i felt like i was on my last breath and for all i know i was pretty damn close. scary.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I had a similar experience on the 4th. Went out for a long road ride at almost noon. I had had a busy morning, and hadn't hydrated well and hadn't eaten much. I brought plenty of water with me and refilled along the way, but I think it was too late. Heading home in the hottest part of the day, no shade, hot and tired, I really started to feel like crap. Lightheaded, upset stomach and no gas. The only thing that got me home is how p!ssed my wife would be if she had to come get me...

The lesson for me is that you think you know better, but it's easy to forget. Either that, or I'm an idiot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
heat cramps - bad
heat exhaustion - worse
heat stroke - can be fatal or result in permanent damage

Do some homework and learn the symptoms for each stage of a heat related injury. If you find yourself in a situation like you describe, knowing the symptoms and what to do can save your life. Please get this info from a valid medical source and not some dude on a forum. :thumbsup:

If you really want to get proactive, get CPR certified. You can learn the difference between a heat related injury and a heart attack, as they can appear to be very similar. In the right circumstances, this can be very handy to know, as I'm sure you can imagine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.