Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
It's soil, not dirt!
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway to predict if this would be worthwhile? I've done some searching and am guessing it would increase whiteness/brightness and decrease bulb life...but is it possible to predict if it would just flash the bulb or decrease life to a point where it is not worth it?

I have an old Cygolight dual-halogen setup and am getting a new battery pack for it. Just wondering if going from 5 to 6 cells would be possible or practical.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Ran old my old Niteriders, vistalites, etc, at 7.2 volts. There is a decrease in lifespan from the overvolting, but not so much that you would notice. I have never blown a MR11 bulb.
Go for it. Replacement bulbs are extremely cheap and the whiter light is really nice.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi there.
From what I can see on the attached chart, you will reduce the expected lifespan of the bulb to about 10% of normal and brightness is up by 35%. I have run my Silva orienteering light at 7.2 v for quite a few hours and it seems to be doing fine. It would be better with 12v bulbs and over volt with 10% which would be easier and give you a reasonable lifespan. But like odtexas said, the bulbs are cheap so go for it. Check out this site http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/lights.html for more info.

Attachments

·
Lets RIDE!
1,548 Posts
dkvick said:
Hi there.
From what I can see on the attached chart, you will reduce the expected lifespan of the bulb to about 10% of normal and brightness is up by 35%.
The yellow line is showing "luminous flux" (brightness) is 185% of normal when you overvolt to 20% over nominal voltage.

The blue "power" line is power consumption.

These bulbs are typically rated at 2000 hours or more, so that's bringing bulb life down to 200 hours+. For what it's worth, my typical night ride is ~2 hours, so I can expect to get at least 100 rides out of a bulb. Not bad.

JZ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.