Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I have zero experience with a RS Monarch but wouldn't the debonair with spacers be effectively the same as the normal smaller air can?

Either way fixing pedal bob is ultimately an issue with the suspension design and/or a lack of low speed damping. Trying to use a firmer or more progressive spring rate won't make much of a difference.
Yes Dave but due to the way debonair can is designed it tends to sit lower in the travel even after setting sag at 30%. I never experienced it with the standard monarch plus aircan. Increasing pressure only creates a harsh, overpressurized shock.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I always found it interesting that all bike companies touted their own suspension designs as best ever right up until specialized’s exclusive use of the patent expired and all of them magically switched to horst link.
Anybody remember transition’s giddy up suspension
Gt’s idrive?
The list goes on...
Yet by general consencus its not an efficient system- I ve never ridden vpp or dw link.
All ive ever had was horst link Specializeds and single pivots Santa cruzes
Apparently Specialized revised their linkages on the newer bikes to be much more efficient. However, a lot of other brands use Horst Link with better results. I ride a HL bike that feels very efficient. It really depends on the implementation of the design.

For your bike, adding a fair bit of compression to the shock might help some, but it's not a very efficient design.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Apparently Specialized revised their linkages on the newer bikes to be much more efficient. However, a lot of other brands use Horst Link with better results. I ride a HL bike that feels very efficient. It really depends on the implementation of the design.

For your bike, adding a fair bit of compression to the shock might help some, but it's not a very efficient design.
yes curveball -adding compression will help but you eventually end up with a really heavy, bobby hardtail. i think a bike where I dont have to keep reaching down to the compression switch and then reaching down 20 more times during a ride would be great...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Little update- with help from my friendly LBS I got my old air can back back and swapped out the debonair - have not tried it on trails yet but parking lot confirms my suspicions- now there is actual damping and you can feel the shock working - before it felt wooden and dead - I think debonair may work for some but not all- must have something to do with suspension curve, leverage ratio.
Thanks for input.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,762 Posts
Little update- with help from my friendly LBS I got my old air can back back and swapped out the debonair - have not tried it on trails yet but parking lot confirms my suspicions- now there is actual damping and you can feel the shock working - before it felt wooden and dead - I think debonair may work for some but not all- must have something to do with suspension curve, leverage ratio.
Thanks for input.
Rocker ratio and valving is what makes a difference. Bagel count, hmmm...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got rid of my trail bike because a XC bike is just so much more fun for me.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Bit late but I have since replaced the Rs with Cane Creek Inline Air. Rear suspension seems to work more efficiently now. Still working on that 70lbs weight loss though...

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Agree with above ,I have ridden some Pivot DW link bikes and thought they climbed very well ,I own(ed) 3 VPP bikes ,they climb well also ,just not as well as the DW BIKES.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Agree with above ,I have ridden some Pivot DW link bikes and thought they climbed very well ,I own(ed) 3 VPP bikes ,they climb well also ,just not as well as the DW BIKES.
Yup, Im starting to come to terms that this may be the path for the future... Too bad there's no frames available.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts