Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been playing with the set-up on a 05 Trek 8500. I ride 12 miles a night (street) to help control my diabetes. Been having lots of hand cramps at about 10 mile mark but a shorter head set seems to have helped a little. Today's question is I feel like I'm riding on my tail bone. Really not a bother until about 8 to 9 mile mark. After that I'm sliding all over trying to get comfortable for the last few miles. Bike is stock other then the head set change. Any suggestions on which direction I should be looking for a longer comfort level.

I have over 600 miles on the bike so you would think my b*tt would be getting used to riding a little!

PS: Please don’t tell me that a Fuel X9 will fix everything as I rode one this weekend at the bike shop and really liked the feel.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I don't think you mean headset, as the differences among headset stack height aren't all that great (headset is the bearing set on the top and bottom of your head tube, through which your steerer tube from the fork extends up and to which your stem is clamped)...did you change the stem, either with a shorter one or one with a higher rise (angle)? Did your lbs recommend that based on your hand complaint?

How are you positioning your saddle--is it pointing down, up or level?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wsd

I had horrible saddle problems too, until I tilted it down and got a saddle designed for women (Specialized BG MTB Saddle). The design for women seems to make all of the difference and they make ones designed for road biking too.

Natalie

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
You might visit your local bike store and see if they'll let you take a saddle for a test ride. A good long rid is the only way to tell if works for you. Any decent shop should let you return a saddle that isn't comfortable after a couple days, as long as you haven't damged it. Best to ask about that before you buy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.