Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
like it says. I love the look of the bike but want to hear what you guys have to say about this bike. Anything i would need to upgrade or is it fine as it is. Anyone that has this bike give me your honest opinions. On sale for $1099. at RS is it worth it? I am completely new and this will be my first bike just been here for the last few months trying to narrow my decision.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Don't have any direct experience with the MkIII, but keep in mind that the frame has changed for '07. It's now lighter and some other changes too. May be a reason to hold out for the '07 model, although I guess it'll be quite some time before you'll see any screaming deals on the '07s. Search the boards or view the IH interbike video for details on the frame changes.

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Think at that pricepoint it would be a great purchase for your first bike.

For 2007 the changes are reduced weight, maybe .5 lb, Fox rear shock and a changed HA. But I think you should pull the trigger, I started with a 05 Comp bought at a good deal from RS and I am still riding it one year later, of course with some upgrades and my eye eventually on an '07

·
Registered
385 Posts
I just bought an 06 Mk3 Expert from RS cycle for $1599.

For $1099 the Comp is one hell of a first bike for not a whole lot of $$. If you can swing the extra $500 get the Expert, but leave $$ in the budget for a new rear wheel if you ride nasty terrain.

I was pondering buying the Comp for $1099 and upgrading the shock and fork and wheels (20mm is mandatory for me now :).

Either way you go, you'll probably be very happy.

·
gimme friction
1,139 Posts
Do a thread search, you'll soon be enlightened...

The 'issues', to wit:

(rear end flex, sh!tty OEM wheels, play in the shock hardware, precarious set-up from at least one dealer...)

BUT, once you get past these 'issues', the bike rocks.

I've been throwing my 06 MKIII Expert around NorCal trails for four months, and I'm still in the ga-ga stage of puppy love. Lots of that infatuation involves the Pike 454 with 20mm TA (spec'd on the Expert), but the dw-link is freakin' awesome climber and bombs through the rough stuff at will.

All FS bikes have their 'issues', it seems...Iron Horse is no different. The deals right now are fantastic...I say jump! I did, and have no regrets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.