Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short. Went to D'ville this past Sunday with four buddies.
First run was easy. Skipped Sunrise so down into Butcher right away. Then on to Second which was great as always. Then to upper and lower 1st. Divide. Goodness all around. No mechanicals, nothing.

Had a nice hour and a half break to grab lunch and chill before getting on the next shuttle out of Yuba.

The group decided they were up for an adventure and that "the snow on Sunrise can't be that bad."

Wrong. Still too much snow. Made it onto the fire road and headed to Pauley Creek nonetheless.

Pauley Creek was super smooth. I swear there's way less rocks on that trail in the past two years....

Got into Butcher without incident. Then it happened. One of our guys had taken a cool video of his buddy last year in this section on Butcher where the river is roaring 100 feet below as you ride by. So after cruising through much of Butcher he finally yelled and said he'd go ahead and then give a shout for us to come riding by once he was set up.

Five minutes later he yells.

Steve takes off with my behind him, Pedro behind me, and Marc taking up the tail gunner position.

We all zip past Cliff videoing us and then stop around the next corner on a slight rise. Steve stops. I stop. Pedro stops.

Then Cliff starts hooting and hollering. Well, not to panic, he's been doing that all day.

Still hollering.

IT takes about 30 seconds until I realize that Marc is not with us. Uh oh! Turn around and head back.

We find Cliff standing at the end of the trail yelling down hill "Hold ON! Hold ONNNNN!!"

Marc was being lazy, sitting on his saddle. Clipped a rock with his left pedal, and KAPOW....over the edge he went. 80 feet down, luckily stopping above a sheer rock cliff of 15 feet covered in moss before dumping into the river. Which is where his bike landed. In an eddy of a nice big waterfall.

We do the human chain thang and get Marc back up to the trail and tell him to sit there and we'll get his bike. Somehow he escaped with nothing more than scratches!

Lucky Steve is a rather skilled Mayan who likes to scamper around hillsides as he was able to get down the last 15 feet and retrieve the bike and buck it up to PEdro who then hauled it up a few feet and handed it off to me and so forth.

About this time I see some riders pull up way up there on the trail. They chat with Marc and then keep going. "WTF?? Why aren't they staying and helping get all of us up this steep loose hillside?!" grrrr.....guess they asked if we needed anything and Marc said a Rope. Which they said they didn't have one so they continued on down the trail.

Man, even if I can't be helpful I'd at least wait it out and make sure everyone made it back up!

So, we get up back on the trail and I assess Marc's bike. Taco'd front wheel. So I'm pulling that off to beat it on the ground so he can ride out on it at least when these two ER nurses happen to pedal on down the trail.

We tell them the story. Show them the video. They look over Marc. Then proceed down the trail.

20 minutes later we're all ready to roll. It is now 5:30-ish. Still about 2 miles from the bridge at the bottom of Butcher.

I take the lead. Go about 500 feet. Come over a rise to find the two ER ladies hunched over some rider who's screaming in pain periodically. We all roll up. Take a fender off Marc's bike that we just rescued from the river, and use that to brace his leg. Get him situated so he's somewhat comfortable.

He, who turns out to be a "Nate" from Downieville Outfitters", had a buddy with him. So I ask his buddy if he wants us to race into town and get some help. he said that his other three guys had already taken off for town.

Hmmm....turned out it was those five guys that had rolled past us earlier. Karma? Maybe....

Nate jumped the rise, got a little too far left and smacked into a rock face. The nurses said it was a Tib/Fib fracture. It looked nasty!!

So we take off after the ladies tell us they got it handled and the friend was going to stay with him.

We make it about halfway into upper 1st. Divide and come across three guys taking pictures of one another. One guy turns to me and asks, "Did you see our friend with the broken ankle back there? How's he doing?"

"Uhhhhhhh....WHAT?! You guys are supposed to be getting help." I said to them.

They replied that they had called 911 on their cell phone already. Oh ok I thought. Then asked them how they were going to get him out? They replied that the phone was kinda brown up but they thought rescuer was coming from Sierra City. gaahhhhhhh you THINK??

At any rate, at that point I just continued on and left them there to take more pictures of one another.

Here's a video and photo.

Attachments

·
Weird huh?
2,283 Posts
Whew!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Marc was being lazy, sitting on his saddle. Clipped a rock with his left pedal, and KAPOW....over the edge he went. 80 feet down, luckily stopping above a sheer rock cliff of 15 feet covered in moss before dumping into the river. Which is where his bike landed. In an eddy of a nice big waterfall.
Just as a crash analysis, yeah, by sitting down on the saddle, he can't keep his feet parallel to the ground comfortably, which is why he had his left foot down.

That's why I think having your saddle all the way down on a 45 minute descent is a bad idea. It is fine for short runs, but I can't stand on the pedals the entire time.

If you don't have an adjustable height post, which is the best solution, lowering your post less than 2 inches for the average height man, will give you more confidence on descents without throwing off your normal pedaling motion.

·
Wēk Sôs
3,210 Posts
wow, damn. that's my worse nightmare, of course i've had **** like that happen to me but with much less penalty.

i'm glad he's ok.

edit: insert rant against clipless. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
wow, damn. that's my worse nightmare, of course i've had **** like that happen to me but with much less penalty.

i'm glad he's ok.

edit: insert rant against clipless. :thumbsup:
Clipless might have exacerbated the problem, but it was one foot too low.

I've hit rocks with clipped in or flat pedal.

·
Super Moderator
8,633 Posts
oh man that's sketchy!....glad he's he's OK.

had a close call once on 2nd divide a while back...exactly where Plim crashed minutes before...

in front of several friends...

who were laughing...

fuggers.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Holy crap. I do stuff like that all the time, but so far without falling off a cliff.
I tend to hit pedals more when I am riding platforms than when riding clipless--maybe because the clipless are smaller.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Whoah-Whoah.....dang over the cliff like that could have been it. I can even hear his pedal smack the rock hard. Usually when I try to just cruise singletrack is when I eat the big ones.
Aggressive and looking way ahead is the way to survive.

Glad everybody survived.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,019 Posts
Almost on par with the video of the guy who cart wheeled his way down in San Diego some years ago. Glad he's okay.

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Glad your buddy is ok, I wonder how many times he has watched that video :D

But crap, heal up Nate!!!!

Here is Nat in better times up at the Bench on last New years eve

·
Registered
885 Posts
Holy crap! Glad to hear your buddy Marc is OK. And that guy with the tib/fib fracture, hell those things heal also.

Last, of course Pawley Creek was perfect!!!!

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Did he try and bunny hop a snake or some poison oak?

Crazy story and glad everyone came out of it relatively unscathed

1 - 20 of 48 Posts