Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
461 - 480 of 1226 Posts

· Registered
644 Posts
Chris,
Sram oval rings were never "in stock" since we launched them as demand is big. Like I said we ship constantly backorders according to order date. By Monday all will be sent to old and current customers.
My eyesight might have failed, would not order if item status is "out-of-stock" as I will be away to NZ for quite a while. Don't think I will receive it before my trip.

Thanks and have a good day.

· Registered
746 Posts
My eyesight might have failed, would not order if item status is "out-of-stock" as I will be away to NZ for quite a while. Don't think I will receive it before my trip.

Thanks and have a good day.
As I recall, they never said In Stock. Just that they were accepting pre-orders with an original ship date of Nov 5th. That got pushed back twice by my fuzzy recollection.

Nobody can control how long US Customs hangs on to a package. ~2 weeks seems to be the average, but I've had one package I ordered from the UK sit for nearly a month.

1,535 Posts
whats up with this? it doesn't even come close to seating properly. like the teeth are too wide and prevent the chain from sitting down fully, and it creates a bigger circle and ends up short after ~8 teeth. and that's a chain with 300 miles on it (so slightly stretched).

didn't know i'd have to buy another chain after spending $85 on a ring.

this is a connex 7r8 1/2 x 3/32 single speed chain. and i don't want to use a different kind because i've broken everything else i've used.

Attachments

1,535 Posts
You sure that chain is stretched "only a little"? That chain is stretched a LOT.

At any rate, you should always replace the chain when you put a new chain ring on IMO.
the chain is too short, not too long. the bushings physically won't reach the next dip between the chainring teeth they're supposed to fall into....the bushing isn't falling too far down the line and hitting the next tooth as it would with a stretched chain.

and i just built the bike up a couple rides ago, and it's a beefy chain. no reason to replace it, imho. which, if anything, would only make the problem worse.

(and i'm aware it's a wide/narrow ring.....it's not positioned wrong on the chainring or one tooth off)

· Registered
746 Posts
Ah, my bad, didn't look close enough at the picture. I think this is the same problem the old KMC chains had. The roller is bigger diameter than standard. Tehan can comment if this was the behavior those chains had.

· manufacturer
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #468 · (Edited)
the chain is too short, not too long. the bushings physically won't reach the next dip between the chainring teeth they're supposed to fall into....the bushing isn't falling too far down the line and hitting the next tooth as it would with a stretched chain.

and i just built the bike up a couple rides ago, and it's a beefy chain. no reason to replace it, imho. which, if anything, would only make the problem worse.

(and i'm aware it's a wide/narrow ring.....it's not positioned wrong on the chainring or one tooth off)
This chain is stretched a lot already or out of spec. You should always put new chain with new chainring - this is a standard practise. I can assure you that chainring is fine. Just change the chain for brand new.

· Registered
914 Posts
whats up with this? it doesn't even come close to seating properly. like the teeth are too wide and prevent the chain from sitting down fully, and it creates a bigger circle and ends up short after ~8 teeth. and that's a chain with 300 miles on it (so slightly stretched).

didn't know i'd have to buy another chain after spending $85 on a ring.

this is a connex 7r8 1/2 x 3/32 single speed chain. and i don't want to use a different kind because i've broken everything else i've used.
that looks pretty odd. Looking at the picture, your crank arm is a 9 o'clock position and at 3 o'clock position the chain looks like it fits ok. at about 1 and 4 o'clock looks like it start getting out of sync.
What happens if you spin the crank arm to say 6 o'clock position? if the places the chain fit on and doesn't fit on stays at the same place then I would say it is a chain compatibility issue. If the places the chain fits/doesn't fit changes when you move the crank arm, then most likely that ring is out of spec.

1,535 Posts
This chain is stretched a lot already. You should always put new chain with new chainring - this is a standard practise. I can assure you that chainring is fine. Just change the chain for brand new...
New chainring will not accept stretched chain. Put new and you will see yourself that it works perfectly.
i'm not spending $40 to show you, when you can clearly see in the picture.

the chain is too short, not too long. a new chain of the same model won't solve it. i've attempted to install stretched chains on new rings before, and this is not what's happening here.

look from right to left as the chain comes over the top or through the bottom. the bushings fall further and further forward on each tooth, not further and further back.

· manufacturer
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #473 ·
i'm not spending $40 to show you, when you can clearly see in the picture.

the chain is too short, not too long. a new chain of the same model won't solve it. i've attempted to install stretched chains on new rings before, and this is not what's happening here.

look from right to left as the chain comes over the top or through the bottom. the bushings fall further and further forward on each tooth, not further and further back.
I can assure you that it is stretched chain. You have attempted to put worn chain on other rings - fine. Our rings are different to hold for longer and I am just saying that it will not be possible to put old chain on our new ring.

If you buy new one and it will not fit I will pay for one myself:)! We sold thousands of these rings and have 100% quality control. I know what I am talking about.

However you lok at it it is stretched chain. I hear your logic but I am telling you that chain is out of spec due to use. Chainring is fine.

1,535 Posts
Every chain now works perfectly fine. This is just good example of how stretched chain looks like on new ring and why there is always need to put new chain with new chainring. Otherwise you just damage the chainring from the start.
another closer pictured attached.

this ring doesn't allow the chain to seat down enough, which effectively makes it short.

i'm not stupid, and my legs aren't nearly strong enough to stretch a single speed chain that much in a couple hundred miles. not to mention it fits perfectly on a brand new new blackspire chainring that i have.

Attachments

· Lazy Overachiever
225 Posts
another closer pictured attached.

this ring doesn't allow the chain to seat down enough, which effectively makes it short.

i'm not stupid, and my legs aren't nearly strong enough to stretch a single speed chain that much in a couple hundred miles. not to mention it fits perfectly on a brand new new blackspire chainring that i have.
You said in your first post that you break every other chain you've had.

Your chain is stretched, plain and simple.

· Registered
8,724 Posts
On further examination, I think the chain is stretched. :)
Although it looks like the links that are raised are hitting short, if you look at the links that are meshed, they are hitting long, and eventually, too long to seat properly.

So, after the first link fails to seat it raises up and makes the subsequent links look like they are coming up short.

OP, even if you could get this chain to work on this ring or any other, you shouldn't want to do that. A stretched chain will wreck a chain ring.

· Registered
33 Posts
On further examination, I think the chain is stretched. :)
Although it looks like the links that are raised are hitting short, if you look at the links that are meshed, they are hitting long, and eventually, too long to seat properly.

So, after the first link fails to seat it raises up and makes the subsequent links look like they are coming up short.
This description of why it's rising up and looking short actually makes a lot of sense.

461 - 480 of 1226 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.