Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Oey12
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 Giant Trance 3 29er that I was looking to put a oval chain ring on. It’s a 1 x 12 Shimano Hyperglide so Absolute black is not compatible. It has a Sram compatible Praxis Cadet crankset which makes no sense to me… Are there any alternatives? Thanks!

· Oey12
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wolf Tooth also says the correct chain ring is not compatible with a Shimano 12 HG chain. And again this is where I am confused. The bike is compatible as is with technically a Sram specific chain ring….

· Registered
14,400 Posts

· Oey12
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good god this is ridiculously confusing…I contacted Praxis and OneUp. OneUp has a 0mm offset that works (great) but Praxis says to use a 3mm because the bike is a 148 Boost. And on OneUp’s website it says that the 0mm offset is a super boost…WTH! And I have confirmed the bike currently has a 0mm offset.I never thought this would be so convoluted to get a replacement oval chain ring.

· Evolutionsverlierer
3,094 Posts
I got a swift response with my chain ring quest from wolf tooth.
Just send them your crank info and what you are up to and they will take care of you I am certain.

· Oey12
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First off I would like to give a HUGE shout out to Praxis and OneUp components! Their customer service has been excellent and useful. Especially Finn from OneUp…seriously a big hat tip from me! (y)

Praxis confirmed what direct drive to use and not use. Additionally they recommended the 3mm for the Trance. INTERESTING TIDBIT HERE Some Trances are being shipped with the 0mm offset (incorrect size) which are causing chain drops. I have had no problems with that but I trust the advice I was given by them and OneUp who both said 3mm is correct. And my 2019 Giant Fathom 1 with a 141 QR rear also has a 0mm offset.

I am glad both companies took the extra step to me through the confusion. I will be a repeat customer!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.