Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a little video I put together from the event. I was working the demo so I didn't get out on all the shuttles but we did get some cool stuff from the Bar M trails as well as our after hours ride on Sovereign.
Enjoy! :)

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still doing a bit of road work but I'm getting back on dirt as much as possible. Just can't do anything very demanding yet, got a bit of work to get the knee built up.

·
Registered
190 Posts
haha me and ahh couple of my friend are at 1:04 I'm wearing the green beanie black jacket and biggg black sun glasses. I remember seeing you ride your bike around that morning filming haha. I was lucky to get to the front of the line and I got to ride a 5.7 at slick rock,Such an awesome bike! Outerbike was an amazing trip!

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I was hoping to get more video but it didn't quite work out. Saturday was kinda rough for filming :eek:
Can't wait for next year!

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,267 Posts
Cool vid. I rode a Mach 429 (XL) at Slickrock and was impressed. These aging bones still like the plushness of my '09 Turner Sultan slightly better (I also demoed a 2012 XL Sultan). For the younger folks, the 429 is a livelier ride for sure. I did the Thursday "half" enchilada ride (too much SNOW to do the "full") and all of the shuttle rides Fri, Sat and Sun; plus Bar M and Lazy EZ with every bike I demoed eheheh.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Since the Mach 5.7 Carbon was my favourite bike I will post this report I wrote for my local forums in here as well.
I tried to make the pictures imbedded but I could not get it to work, sorry=/

Outerbike 2011-10-17
Some of you may have read the few posts I made about Outerbike before I headed down to Moab. Here is a little description of my experience and my personal reviews of the bikes that I rode.

Outerbike itself took place from 7 - 9th Oct with shuttle runs and bike camps taking place before Outerbike on the 5th and 6th. I flew down to Grand Junction from Victoria on the 5th which is about 6 ½ hours with lay-over's and then an hour and a half drive from their to Moab. There are tons of hotels in Moab but for anyone who is interested in going to this next year I would book in advance. Outerbike, the Moab 24hr race and a few other smaller events were all going on so all the hotels in town and most campsites were full.

On Thursday I woke up nice and early and grabbed breakfast and headed over to the River Canyon Lodge to pick up the rental bike I booked for a shuttle ride on Hazzard County - Kokeplli trail - UPS (Upper Porcupine single track) - LPS (Lower Porcupine single track) - Porcupine Rim. Once at the lodge there was a registration desk set up by the organisers of Outerbike, Western Spirit Cycling. After about 10 mins I was registered and given a bracelet to wear for the whole weekend tat would allow me into the Outerbike venue as well as the Star Hall where movies were shown.

IMG_1484 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I had booked a Large Ibis Mojo HD for the shuttle run and had spoken to the Owner of Uranium Bikes before hand to have the suspension pre-set and he also asked for my height and inseam and reach to see if I may need a different stem. Once picking up the bike he rechecked the PSI in the shock and forks and set the shock with a little extra sag as he mentioned that the Mojo rode a little high in it's travel and it worked well with a little extra sag. (Turns out he was right and the set up was perfect) The weather had been in the 30's the week prior to Outerbike but was 12 and raining this morning so we were told due to the clay on Kokopelli trail we could only be taken up to LPS - Porcupine Rim. The shuttle ride up took about 40 mins to get to the trail head and once up there we saw it was lightly snowing, very surreal considering we were surrounded by pretty much desert. We started off down the trail and started to separate into groups based on our speed and skill level. I ended up hooking up with 2 guys from So Cal and 3 other guys from Calgary. The snow drifeted away to light rain after 10 mins or so and then faded away to nothing within the first 30 mins which allowed us to lose the jackets and made for a comfortable temperature. The trail is beautiful as you flow in and out from the edge of the rim.

IMG_1488 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMG_1490 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMG_1533 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
The other beautiful sight was the Ibis Mojo HD, the bike is a thing of beauty. It was set up with a Dropper post and an X9 build, the bike weighed in around 29 pounds, so 6 pounds lighter then my current build on the Rune. It was set up with Kenda Nevegals and I had never ridden them before this but they were great tires on the wet rock and sand, not sure how they would perform on roots but they worked great there. Keep in mind though that most of the rock there is porous sand stone and grips like sand paper. The Ibis was a great bike it pedaled very well and was very responsive to changing lines. What I also liked was for a person like me who cannot manual it actually was fairly easy to get the front end up. There were lots of little drops and bumps to launch the bike off of and tons of rock gardens and the bike was at home either ploughing through them or being thrown around to pick lines around the bigger rocks. The trail was 20 miles and took 2 hours with a few breaks and a stop for a small lunch, so I probably had a good hour and a half on the bike, mostly down hill but there were a few ups to test the bikes climbing. I found it to be just as good at climbing as the Rune, maybe a bit better due to the weight and it was more nimble then the Rune on the way down and popped off little jumps better but this could just be my shock set up.

After a few hours break for lunch I met up with the guys from Calgary and we headed over to the infamous Slick Rock trail. This is a 12 mile trail that is made up totally of porous sand stone and you can pretty much climb up anything that you would laugh at back home as being impossible. There had been rain, hail and some lightening and thunder about 30 mins before we headed out but the rock was pretty dry by the time we got there. I had ridden this trail back in march so I could tell the difference in weight between the two bikes in the climbing and the Ibis climbed excellent in and out of the saddle. It was a fun trail but not something I would want to do more then once per trip.
Latter that night I went down to "Star Hall" to catch the movie "Klunkers" it was put on by Continental tires and the rep was there asking question for free swag. The movie was a great introduction into how the Mountain Biking scene got it's start.

On Friday the 7th I woke up nice and early and headed out to the Bar M trail head where the outer bike Tents were set up.

IMG_1518 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The Island Mountain Rides van was in the parking lot, making the drive down from Cumberland.

IMG_1521 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Once at the Outerbike site I just had to show them the print out of my receipt and my wrist band and they gave me a card that had my information and CC tied to it. This card was used to get demo's, you would give them the card and they would give you a bike. Some of the larger companies also had Ipads with electronic forums you had to fill out but some just took the card. The weather was 14 and rainy but mostly drizzle not a down pour and it stopped by 10.

Once signed up I headed out to take a tour around while I wait for the demos to start at 9am. I grabbed an Osprey pack to demo, they let you keep the bladder when you returned the pack and I found that I actually prefer the Viper 10 fit over my Raptor 14 so I think I will pick one up. They also had water and sport drinks set up in a tent along with cliff bars and Cliff shot blocks for people to take on their rides. The Shuttle runs for this first day would be Magnificent 7 which is a group of trails that you can tie together. I had went out with the guys from Calgary the night before and decided to ride the trails around Bar M to get in more demo's and try to figure out what bike I would like to take on Saturday for the shuttle run to Amasa Back.

The first bike I grabbed was a large Intense Carbine. I brought the bike over to the Fox racing tent and had their technician set up the shock and fork for me. The first thing I noticed before taking the bike out on the trail was that it felt heavy compared to the Mojo HD, considering they were both Carbon bikes and pretty much equipped the same I was surprised. Once out on the trail I found it was very stiff, travel wise, it did not want to leave the ground as easy as the Mojo and just felt uncomfortable. As I am no expert I cannot say what else it was just that I did not enjoy it at all and a few other people I saw riding them over the weekend had the same response as me. Now possibly in the hands of a better rider this stiffness would have lead to the bike railing through corners better or something….not being great and cornering as it is I can't say!

IMG_1506 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The next bike I took out was a Large Devinci Dixon.
IMG_1507 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I took the bike around the same trails as the Intense and immediately liked it more then the Carbine, not as much as the Mojo but I did like it. It climbed well and it popped off of little jumps and cornered well for me. I switched up half way through the ride with one of the guys from Calgary who was on a Yeti SB66 Xl. It was a little long for me but still a comfortable ride. Two of them were riding the SB66 and they both said it climbed well but because of the way the pivot went one way in the beginning of the travel and then reversed it felt a little stiff on the smaller bumps and needed some effort put in to get past that first stiffness and reach the plush feeling. After this I went and grabbed lunch. They had a buffet style spread set out with bread, croissants and Pita's, 4 types of cheese, Ham, Turkey, Chicken and Roast beef. They also had a Pasta salad and vegetable salad along with an actual salad bar. There were also cookies and small bags of chips. Over all a nice spread.

Next I tried a Large Devinci Wilson SL for a run down one of the few DH trails in Moab called Daves trail.

IMG_1509 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I had ridden the Wilson and Whistler this summer for 4 days and loved it, this just confirmed for me that it is a great bike. I had also tried the Session 88 this summer and did not enjoy it at all, I thought maybe it was the Fox 40 but I had a chance to switch the Wilson for a Large Pivot Phoenix with a guy for 2 runs on Daves trail and it was fitted with a Fox 40 as well and it felt great. I think in the end I just found the session 88 a bit to tight in the cockpit for me. Knowing how much I loved the ride of the Wilson and finding the Phoenix just as comfortable I would say in my eyes they are equals. Both were extremely plush and easy to keep the front end up on drops and just very manoeuvrable for a big bike.

We arrived back at the Outerbike site around 1630 and the beer tent had opened up. I tried a nice Amber and just sat back and talked with the Calgary boys about what they rode and their thoughts. The beer was free from 1600 - 1800 and was provided by the Moab Brewing Company.

Friday night I went back to "Star Hall" for another Conti sponsored movie night, we watched "3 minute gaps". All I have to say is wow, my god it is amazing what a world class rider can do on a bike. The Movie was about Gee Atherton winning the 2010 World Championship but it had about 10 different segments on top level riders riding in their home Countries, No Smith though.

Saturday I showed up around 0815 to try and talk to Pivot early about riding a Mach 5.7 Carbon but they were not allowing us into the tent area until 9. By 0855 there were about 200 people standing by the gate waiting for the demo's to start and when they opened the gate it was like a gun went off and every one ran for the dealers tents. I was lucky and the 7 or 8 people in front of me at the Pivot tent were all around 5'7" or less. When I got to the front of the line they took my card and pedals to put on a Large Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon. Two of the Calgary boys were in the line with me and one got the 5.7 Carbon in medium and the other grabbed the non Carbon version in Large, the last one grabbed a Large Ibis Mojo SLR he had booked the night before. Here is a close up of the medium.

IMG_1512 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

We all jumped on the shuttle ride and headed over to Amasa Back. Once the shuttle dropped us off we all headed up to the trail head and started down. The first section is a bunch of drops maybe a foot high closely spaced and everyone was walking down them for some reason but the 4 of us just leaned back and went right through it, after the steps there is a small 3 foot drop which the bike handled easily. This was my first experience on a bike that had 32mm stanchion 150mm travel fork vice my 160mm 36 mm stanchion fork and I was leery but it turns out I really don't think I need anything bigger for the riding I do at the Dump or the Zoo but they may change as I learn to hit larger drops and jumps. After this little section we had about an hour climb up the trail. The trail mainly consists of single track riddled with small ledges to climb up with the odd larger ledge thrown in here and there. I had ridden this trail in March on my Rune and remembered the sections I had difficulty with on the climb and even though it was misty and the rock was a little wet the Pivot was much easier to climb with. The Pivot was set up with a X9 2x10 and no dropper post and weighed in some where around 26 pounds which was about 8 ½ pounds lighter then my Rune when I rode the trail last. Near the top we grabbed a photo of Jackson's Hole. Derrik, me, Shannon and Mikael. These Calgary guys could climb, I don't think they missed any of the steep climbs on Slick Rock, even after being out there for 2 + hours and it was hard to keep up with them on Amasa back.

IMG_1515 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

After maybe another 20 mins we reached the top and grabbed a quick bite. We had to get the bikes back so we decided to bomb back down Amasa back vice taking Rockstacker to Jackson's loop. This is where I thought I would have issues with the smaller fork but the bike handled every ledge and drop I could throw at it. What I loved about the bike, even more then the Mojo HD, was how easily I could keep the front end up for drops, I was landing pretty much all of the flat drops on my rear tire and both tires. The bike just manualed easy. There were a ton of people climbing up Amasa back as the shuttles were leaving every 15 mins from the Outerbike site and the Pivot was excellent at changing lines at speed, the only time I actually had to stop is when we ran into a section where 4 people had laid their bikes across the whole trail to put on their armour and were blocking all the riders climbing and descending. After getting back to Outerbike I had decided that the Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon was now in the lead as my next bike over the Ibis, though I still need to think about the 32 vs a 36. (the Pivot is not recommended to run a 36.)

I grabbed lunch again and tried to find a bike to demo around the Bar M trails. It turns out that close to 800 people had shown up for Outerbike, 500 of them pre-registering, so there were not many bikes left to demo. A few of the companies like Norco, and Cove were scheduled to show up but never made it and a few of the companies did not bring many bikes. Yeti played it safe and had 80 demo bikes in their tent. Specialized showed up with only two workers and were slow getting all of their bikes out. I finally found a Xl Santa Cruz Blur to ride and took it out around the trails close by. I am not sure which Blur it was just that it was Carbon and weighed in around 24 pounds. The bike was great for the trails around Bar M and was pretty damn fun to ride but did not have nearly enough travel for what I have been trying to ride back here on the Island lately.

Next I headed over to the Rocky Mountain tent and chatted with Ken for a bit. He had been riding quite a few bikes from the other companies and may have a more expert opinion on how some of them rode over my thoughts and experience. I grabbed a Slayer 70 to take out on a ride, I had over heard a guy earlier on Amasa back saying the bike climbed well and when descending felt like he was landing on a pillow so I wanted to check it out. This was my first time on a RMB and although I only rode it around the Bar M trails, I added on an extra loop which had a little more climbing but there was nothing really worthy to descend and check out the RM Slayer's suspension. It did climb well though and it felt really beefy for a bike that is only around 31 pounds.

Beer and lunch Tent
IMG_1510 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

After grabbing a beer in the beer tent I head back to clean up and head to the after party at "The Blue Pig" The food was good and they started to give out door prizes but I had arranged a shuttle ride to LSP and Porcupine rim again so I headed home early to get some sleep.

On Sunday the scheduled shuttle runs were Slick Rock but after riding Slick rock on Thursday I was not in the mood to pedal my but off and had made plans for a shuttle ride up to LPS. I hooked up with 4 guys from So Cal, 2 of who I had rode LPS with on Thursday, and we headed out. I had grabbed a Trek Slash 9 for this ride and it was set up with the Mino link in the 65.5% head angle. The bike weighed in around 31 pounds but the Rock shock dropper post had gotten a slice in the cable and was leaking oil so I had to ride it without the dropper post. Sitting on the Slash feels like you are sitting on a mini DH bike, the bike just feels freaking beefy. This was our first day that did not start out with rain and it was a beautiful day for our last ride. We started out on LPS and the first thing I noticed is that I really loved the Bontrager tires the bike came with. They gripped well and felt even better then the Nevegals I rode on this trail 3 days earlier. The bike itself though lighter then my Rune felt heavier in the front end and the bike overall was not as manoeuvrable as the Mojo HD on this same trail. I found myself struggling to climb up some of the same climbs I made on the Ibis and also I found it harder to keep the front end up on the same drops. The bike was a beast but it just felt almost too big to me, but this is just my opinion.

The mountains in the background here is where the Whole Enchilada trail would have started, this trail ended in the same place as LPS and Porcupine rim but added on 15 miles.
IMG_1529 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The largest drop I tried on the Slash was the Famous diving board which is about 4-5 ft drop to flat. The bike took the hit great but I landed slightly front first and hit the brake and washed out. But still it was the largest drop to flat I have tried yet, I was pretty damn excited that I even tried it! The Slash rode through the chunder as well as the Ibis but it did not pop off of the little lips as well as the Mojo HD. It was also not as easy to throw around but overall the ride was enjoyable but I really wish I had the dropper post. I am just to use to my gravity dropper now to ride with out one.

Outerbike seemed to be a huge success and I had an amazing time. I went down there thinking that I would like to pick up a new Trek Slash and left with dreams of a new Pivot or Ibis on my mind. Would I go back again? Hell yeah, even if you are not in the market for a new bike it is a great biking vacation. For $150 dollars we had 3 days of unlimited Demo's, lunch buffet's, sports drinks, Cliff bars, free Osprey bladders, beer, free hat and tee-shirts, a couple free water bottles and free unlimited shuttles. Plus we got to ride in one of the Mountain biking worlds Mecca's. I preferred flying but even the 20 hour drive in March was well worth the trip. Here is a link to all of the pictures I took and if you Google Outerbike there are many more pictures up as well as reviews.

Moab Outerbike Oct 2011 - a set on Flickr

·
Registered
75 Posts
Great write-up. Made me wish i was there.

Useful info about the Mach 5.7c. I am about to put a deposit on one, but intend to do some research before taking the plunge.

One of your buddies tested the alu Mach 5.7. Did you or your friend by any chance ride both the 5.7 and 5.7 carbon to compare?

I want to hear your thoughts of the performance difference between alu and carbon 5.7.

thanks

·
Registered
435 Posts
I don't think he did get to test the Carbon Version as he was riding clipless and I was on flats so we did not trade off and he rode the Remedy on Sunday. I did not get a chance to try the Alum version myself. I did however here the Pivot reps saying that the owner of Pivot has ridden both around his test track and said the only real difference is the nuances that come along with Carbon. (no idea what that meant....)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.