Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Turner Homer
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, ever since I have been riding in the winter, which has been roughly six years, I have always used a under armor short sleeve top for the base layer, and two cotton long sleeve shirts for the top layers. For the lower layer, I wear a pair of sub zero tights, and a pair of baggy mountain bike shorts. So I was wondering what you guys use for the top layer, because the cotton shirts and under armor keep me plenty warm, but they don't do all that great of a job keeping me dry when it gets wet out. They also don't wick moisture all that well. So I was wondering what you guys use, and I was planning to spend around $60 on something decent. I would also be interested in a nice winter long sleeve jersey. So let me know what you guys think.
Dave:thumbsup:

·
Registered
13,090 Posts
Yeah, that looks good if there's a soft or fleece lining as well especially if you're riding in the rain or while it's snowing. Anything would be better than cotton. Like you said.... no wicking.

I start with a long sleeve polypro (Under Armour-type) base layer, put on an fleece insulated long sleeve cycling jersey, then top with a Pearl Izumu fleece pullover. THis works great for my torso down to zero F and wicks well.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I do this

I start with a UA cold gear long sleeve, Then according to temp 1 to 2 long sleve polypropylene shirts a short sleve poly , a long sleve zip fleece and a fleece vest.On the bottom, China silk, expedition weight poly, and a set of fleece running pants, Smartwool sox, and outdoor research beanie. Add heat packs as needed. This is good to +10 degrees, which is my limit. Jim

·
Air Pirate
2,037 Posts
Baselayer (next to skin): Terramar Thermawool 100% merino wool crewneck top and bottom - campmor.com for $30.00 each

Next layer on top: Champion "waffle" weave poly multisport jersey w/ zip mock neck - Target for $17.00

Next top layer: Performance Bike Shop Sherpa fleece full-zip jacket. $20.00 on sale (actually came to $17.00 with an additional 20% off).

Outer layer on top: Endura Rebound Showerproof jacket - $29.00 sale at Nashbar.

Outer Layer on bottom: Midweight Performance Bike Shop tights - was a gift, don't know price.

Socks - Columbia Falmouth II Merino/Nylon socks - Campmor.com $15.00 for two pairs.

Pretty light weight setup, but very warm thanks to the characteristics of each layer.

·
The Notorious S.L.O
1,106 Posts
I try to use as much of the same gear...

as I do for other winter activities, not spending alot just for biking.
20 degress plus.
Performance lined tights, cotton t-shirt under a cold weather jersey.
I always carry a nylon water-resistant jacket in the backpack, as most of my rides are a climb up, and then down back to the car, I climb without the jacket, putting it on for a wind layer on way down.
Sub 20 degrees
same tights, with a pair of Columbia titanium light-weight snow pants. I add a cold weather UA shirt, under the cold weather jersey with a flece vest that has a nylon shell.
Same wind jacket added on the downhill

I also wear a pair of neopreme booties and choose between cold weather biking or full length snowboarding gloves.

·
Registered
794 Posts
For temps down to about 20 F
- UA coldgear mock turtleneck top, coldgear leggings bottom
- layer of columbia hiking pants if colder, or a pair of hoss ponderosa shorts
- top over UA coldgear I wear a nike long sleeve thermal top and a columbia heavier weight windbreaker

If colder than 20 F
- UA coldgear
- Nike long sleeve thermal top, columbia fleece, columbia windbreaker
- pearl izumi biker shorts under the coldgear leggings and a pair of hiking pants

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
I wear a base layer poly type jearsy then wool blend long sleave jersey over that. If it windy or super cold I put a hard shell wind breaker type jacket on as well.

The key is the wool. Wool does an amazing job of managing heat and moisture. It breaths and wicks better than anything out there. It's warm when you need it but never lets you overheat. It's even warm when it's soaked in sweat. A wool jersey is expensive (100.00+) but worth every penny.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.