Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried the fixed gear when looking for a noise in the bike.
It took me a bit, but I kind of liked it.

I just learned what dinglespeed is ane was wondering if anyone done it to an outcast?
A dingle speed with 60 teeth so I could keep my 42 x20??

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
It will work fine. What gear inches are you looking to have? Are you wanting to do a dinglespeed fixed? Or are you thinking of doing one ratio freewheel and the other fixed with the same chainring?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dinglespeed

I would like to use a freewheel. I see on some other threads that there are freewheels with two gears.
If I keep the 42x18 , I would like to get as low as I can to try some more agressive trails.
I have not been on them yet so I do not know how much walking I will need to do.
Searching for an 18-20 or 21 ??? are there other sizes larger than 20or 21 with 18?
Your thoughts on this gearing?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
42x21 (2:1) is still a flat land gear unless you're a real brute.
Will you put on a tensioner, or insert extra chain links to make it all fit?

I once had a 14t and 18t on my SS, the horizontal dropouts took out the chain slack. 34x14 was sortof okay on the flat road, the 18t fine for the flat cross style mud race I rode the bike up to. Shifting involved dismounting and a 15mm ring wrench.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.