Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I appologise as this isn't a 29er question (although it's on a 29er bike). I have a Raceface X type crankset and BB and the BB is just pants and has lasted about five months. I'm loathe to throw the crankset away but there's no way I'm paying any more money for a cottage cheese BB. I've heared that the Raceface cranks will run on a Shimano outboard BB. Can anyone confirm this?
TIA.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
One thing

LJintheUK said:
OK, I appologise as this isn't a 29er question (although it's on a 29er bike). I have a Raceface X type crankset and BB and the BB is just pants and has lasted about five months. I'm loathe to throw the crankset away but there's no way I'm paying any more money for a cottage cheese BB. I've heared that the Raceface cranks will run on a Shimano outboard BB. Can anyone confirm this?
TIA.

I can say is that you can service the BB's on the Shimano and RF.

I just did my Shimano’s last week. It was easy.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Old Skool

This is why I stick to the good old reliable square taper.

For the OP, you could always buy ceramic bearings, ut I have heard they are a lot money:eek: .

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Naw

Ottoreni said:

For the OP, you could always buy ceramic bearings, ut I have heard they are a lot money:eek: .
The OB stuff is great. I have been running mine for almost three years and no problems. The issue is that from the factory there is not enough grease.

You can swap cranks from bike to bike and not have to worry about spindle length etc

Pull those suckers (bearing cups) apart, clean and repack with tons of grease and you are good to go.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Ottoreni said:

Square taper BB's rock until you start doing drop-offs and such, then you start going through spindles quick.

The earlier RaceFace X-TYpe BB's had issues with bearing life. try replacing the bearings and using some Phil Waterproof Grease (which is what RF now uses on the X-type BB's). External BB's are much more susceptible to external water and grit getting in than more traditional designs.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
LJintheUK said:
TIA.
You can also use Truvativ and FSA.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Oliver said:
You can also use Truvativ and FSA.
Truvativ makes two different kinds of external-bearing BB's, only one may be Shimano compatible. Howitzer BB's are not compatible with the RaceFace/Shimano stuff. Howitzer uses external bearings and a ISIS-style spindle, with conventional crank attachment while RF and Shimano use integrated spindles. GXP stuff should be Shimano-compatible.

MegaExo stuff from FSA may be compatible but FSA does not recommend trying (unlike RaceFace which is expicitly compatible with Hollowtech II Shimano stuff).

·
Registered
529 Posts
MadCowRider said:
+1

I run their BB & hub ceramic bearings on my 29er and CX and they're awesome.

9 months of use on my FSA Gossamer and RF Cadence crankset and they still spin beautifully. Same with my American Classic and WTB LaserDisc hubs.

The bearings are relatively affordable as well.

From a compatibility standpoint, I've successfully swapped my FSA crankset with RF on the same bearing w/o any issues.

·
Steel and teeth.
577 Posts
LJintheUK said:
TIA.
Better yet, get the Phil Wood bearings installed in the Race Face cups and you will cease to have problems. I have been running Phil bearings for just over a year in mine. Shimano OBBs will also work.

bb

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I'm running RF bearings right now with my HT2 XT cranks after the bearings got toasted. They did last about 1.5 years and over 5,500 miles so I'm not really too disappointed, when I get around to it I'll replace them w/ the Enduro ones.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies. Those Enduro ones look good but I'm trying to keep the spending down. I'll order up a shimano one.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Cheapest I've seen a set of the Shimano's for is around $50 US, the Enduro's aren't much more.
LJintheUK said:
Thanks for all the replies. Those Enduro ones look good but I'm trying to keep the spending down. I'll order up a shimano one.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LyNx said:
Cheapest I've seen a set of the Shimano's for is around $50 US, the Enduro's aren't much more.
Shipping to the UK plus tax, duty and handling charges will hike the price considerably. I've just slapped in a shimano BB. I'll see how long it lasts, if it doesn't hold up I'll cough up for some of those enduros though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts