Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just mounted a first set of UST tires, some 2.4" Continental Mountain Kings. When you spin the wheel, both have a definite 'dip' as they spin, even though the wheels are true and round. I haven't noticed this as much on the past dozen sets of tires, although these are a bit fatter than anything previously used.

Is this typical for big UST tires? Seems like it wouldn't be noticed on the dirt, but might on flat, hard ground at speed.

Whelen

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Are you certain that the bead is fully seated at those points where you notice the "dip"? (Try reseating the bead using soapy water...)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did use soapy water to seat bead. After spinning the tires for a while, I determined that both have a dip in the same place on the tire relative to the raised printing on the tire. The lowest point is right where "max luftdruck/inflation" is found on side wall. While this leads me to conclude it is not a seating issue, I may redo it anyway. On pavement, you do feel a bit of a 'thump-thump-thump'.

Whelen

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Whelen97 said:
I did use soapy water to seat bead. After spinning the tires for a while, I determined that both have a dip in the same place on the tire relative to the raised printing on the tire. The lowest point is right where "max luftdruck/inflation" is found on side wall. While this leads me to conclude it is not a seating issue, I may redo it anyway. On pavement, you do feel a bit of a 'thump-thump-thump'.

Whelen
One thing you could try - mark the tire and rim where the low spot/bump is, then remount the tire in a different position, and see if the low spot happens at the same point again. At least that might tell you if the tire has a flaw.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Whelen97 said:
I like fsrxc's suggestion.

Do let us know how it turns out. (It's useful to know what tires not to buy...)

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
KevinB said:
I like fsrxc's suggestion.

Do let us know how it turns out. (It's useful to know what tires not to buy...)
interesting that several people have posted seating problems with Mountain Kings, UST and Tube versions, so they might have quality control issues, which is too bad for the "made in Germany" claims...

·
Prez NMBA
719 Posts
ive mounted a bunch of UST mountain kings for myself and buddy and never had an issue with any "bumps" but could be a bad batch i suppose. not a fan of the 2.2, but the 2.4 really seem to work and wear well

·
lazy rider
11 Posts
I had the same issue with some junk Specialized 2bliss Fast Trak LK 2.0 tires. The front mounted fine, the rear was hopping, enough to make the buzz from my CK hub change pitch on every rotation. I swapped the tires front to back and the same tire exhibited the hop. I was about to go crazy in my various efforts to re-seat the tire before I decided it must be flawed manufacturing. I tossed both tires for some Conti Race King 2.2 Supersonics and the problem was resolved.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
sfbacc said:
I had the same issue with some junk Specialized 2bliss Fast Trak LK 2.0 tires. The front mounted fine, the rear was hopping, enough to make the buzz from my CK hub change pitch on every rotation. I swapped the tires front to back and the same tire exhibited the hop. I was about to go crazy in my various efforts to re-seat the tire before I decided it must be flawed manufacturing. I tossed both tires for some Conti Race King 2.2 Supersonics and the problem was resolved.
Because one tire out of two was flawed, you replaced them both?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't tried reseating tires in different position. I did put about 20 miles on them over the weekend, and, as expected, didn't notice anything out of the ordinary except on a short stretch of asphalt connecting two trails. There, you sort of lope along...bump...bump...bump

I like the tires.

Whelen

·
lazy rider
11 Posts
fsrxc said:
Because one tire out of two was flawed, you replaced them both?
I rid myself of the bad one and the good one is banked in the closet with the other abandoned tires and assorted parts; the race king's were my dream tires, so I put them on.

I'm not sure if any of this will help, but the steps I've gone through one time or another with problem tires (tubes and tubeless) include:

-Talc on tubes
-Change tubes
-Inspecting valve stem
-Shoving the valve stem on tubes into the tire before/while inflating
-Persistent over-inflating, deflating, re-inflating
-Spraying bead with soapy water
-Scrubbing the inside of the tire with an abrasive
-Inspecting bead visually/with fingers for abnormalities
-Inspect rim tape for bumps, and sections with varying width
-Inspect rim strips for abnormalities/consistency
-Mount tires on different rims

There are probably 50 effective ideas I've never thought about, surely someone else can add more.

In my case, rotating and moving the tires revealed the true nature of the problem for me, it's a frustrating situation :madman:, so definitely try fsrxc's marking suggestion if they're annoying. Definitely let us know if you figure this out.

·
1,113 Posts
Should not happen with UST tires that are true.

Did you try a tube? Or different rim with tube.

That will ensure it is the tire and not the rim or tire being properly seated.

With my conti's. I had to use alot of soap in the water really lube it up and go up to 60psi to get em to seat.

It is possible they are defective. I really like maxxis ust interface, you can see where the tires is seating on the rim as you inflate it.

The conti are kinda harder to seat. I would double check em. Keep in mind, the higher volume of the tire will exaggerate if your rim is not true or out of round.

Hope that helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts