Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure its the single speed or the 29in wheels (I jumped into both at the same time) but when im racing, I feel like I have an advantage over the other non-single, non-29er racers. Whenever you pass a geared racer they usually comment and say something like" dude, amazing and on a single speed" . I cant help but feel like a tough guy on the single and so I usually dont say anything but I am also thinking at the same time that its not any harder than on a geared bike its just different and maybe advantageous. Our little secret?

·
what a joke
2,280 Posts
32x20 here

I ran gears for a few weeks then went ss. When I cant get to the trail I do little hill session near my apt. I hit sveral hills but do the steepest 1 several times over and over. First time out did 3 laps on it second time did 5 laps 3rd time did 10 laps. This ss thing is really improving my cardio and strength. Its a great little secret :D

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
ozlongboarder said:
I ran gears for a few weeks then went ss. When I cant get to the trail I do little hill session near my apt. I hit sveral hills but do the steepest 1 several times over and over. First time out did 3 laps on it second time did 5 laps 3rd time did 10 laps. This ss thing is really improving my cardio and strength. Its a great little secret :D
If you really want to make it hard on yourself. Get a geared bicycle, put it in a high gear, and do the hills. Not only will you have to work harder, but you will have the extra weight of all the gears, shifts, wires and deraileurs to make it harder as well. A backpack full of fifty pounds of cement might help out with the workout too.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Riding a SS you quickly learn the "secret" it's all about MOMENTUM. You store up as much as you can on descents and the flats to carry you through the hills. As you get more and more fanatical about preserving every joule of kenetic energy, you find yourself blasting through the same corners faster and faster, and programming yourself to stay off the brakes at all costs. To the geared rider it makes you look almost super-human. secondly if you ride a rigid SS (as you should ;-) you learn how to pick better lines and be a smoother rider. You learn to absorb the bumps by letting the bike float over them beneath you rather than relying on your suspension to soak up you sloppy riding.

Most 26" riders use a 32:16, it seems to be the best compromise between grinding up the hills and spinning out ot the flats. Since I am a spinner by nature (out on the road, I can comfotably spin at 90-100 for an hour) My RedLine MonoCog is set up at 32:17 for most riding and I have a 18 wheel for days I'm going to ride hills.

I'm not quite sure how I'm going to gear up my 29" SS when I build it since the larger diameter wheel wil obvioulsy effect the whole scenarion, but I'll likely start at 32:18 and if I find myself spinning out too much on the flats I'll drop it down. All that is moot until On-One releases thier 29" Disc SS frame <holding my breath>

·
what a joke
2,280 Posts
Quasi said:
If you really want to make it hard on yourself. Get a geared bicycle, put it in a high gear, and do the hills. Not only will you have to work harder, but you will have the extra weight of all the gears, shifts, wires and deraileurs to make it harder as well. A backpack full of fifty pounds of cement might help out with the workout too.
what ever works I guess, maybe a geared unicycle would be even better :rolleyes:

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Hmmm...

....didn't work on the SS board so you figured you'd try it here huh? It's even less funny the second time around:)

Quasi said:

·
IMBA Guy
173 Posts
Singlespeeds and 29ers are a match made in heaven. Being fast on an
SS is all about preserving momentum, and nothing helps you hold on to momentum quite like the combo of 29er's big wheels, higher volume tires, and longer contact patch.

Mmmmm...now I really need a ride.

·
WAWE
1,432 Posts
DancingBear said:
Singlespeeds and 29ers are a match made in heaven. Being fast on an
SS is all about preserving momentum, and nothing helps you hold on to momentum quite like the combo of 29er's big wheels, higher volume tires, and longer contact patch.

Mmmmm...now I really need a ride.
Yup... good combo....

SS = blast through stuff
29 = blast over stuff

:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts