Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. Just wanted to share some of Salsa's experience from Sea Otter. I also thought I would post some of the cool and notable things. I know there is a thread for this, but it turned into a jeff jones and patent discussion. So here goes.....

Thanks to all of the folks at Sea Otter using Salsa Frames and Products. Wow. This was my first visit to Sea Otter working for Salsa and I saw way more Salsa frames and products than I expected. A sincere thank you to each of you. Check out our Blog to get more information and check some pictures out of Salsa riders at the event.

Our Dos Niner was our big hit at the event. The bikes were constantly being test ridden by both consumers and industry folks. Sea Otter was a great course for this bike. I rode the 18 or so mile CC course on Thursday with it and had a blast. Fast. Damn, I just wish I was as fast as this bike.

I saw 29" bikes everywhere. Salsa knew the 29" market was strong (based on our Dos Niner sales), but I couldn't believe the number of 29" bikes I saw being ridden and raced. I spoke to two small frame builders and one of them told me that 40% of his business is now 29" and one other told me that he had already built more 29" bikes in 2005 than he did in all of 2004! This is exciting. Honestly, I think the 29" market is gaining some needed momentum that could result in some new and exciting products.

I'd like to point out a few products that merit some attention. I scanned the other Sea Otter threads and didn't see them mentioned. Sorry, no pics.

First, the new Paragon sliding dropout with sliding disc tab. This isn't a new concept, but these dropouts are really nice. Soulcraft had two 29" bikes built with this dropout.

Second, a suspension corrected, true temper tubed rigid 29" fork. I saw this in the Spot booth. It was the first one they had built and while the fork wasn't perfect and the tubing had some issues, it was nice to see. The market needs a lighter alternative to the suspension corrected KM fork. It was mounted to a bike, but I expect it will be lighter than the KM.

Lastly, it was great talking with all the vendors about new 29" products. Sherwoods 4" bike was sweet. The new Niner bikes were well received. I rode a van dessel w/Rohloff (pretty nice set up). Nokian was talking about the 2.2 29" NBX LITE. Schwalbe was talking about 29" stuff.

I know I am missing something, but overall, I want you to know that from inside the industry, people are talking about 29" bikes and products. Be careful what you wish for, because pretty soon, more and more folks will be on 29ers and each of us will lose our competitive advantage!

Thanks again,

Jason
Salsa Crew

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Salsa Cycles said:
Hey folks. Just wanted to share some of Salsa's experience from Sea Otter. I also thought I would post some of the cool and notable things. I know there is a thread for this, but it turned into a jeff jones and patent discussion. So here goes.....

.......I know I am missing something, but overall, I want you to know that from inside the industry, people are talking about 29" bikes and products. Be careful what you wish for, because pretty soon, more and more folks will be on 29ers and each of us will lose our competitive advantage!

Thanks again,

Jason
Salsa Crew
Great news. Keep those great products coming. Now, how about joining us 29ers in boycotting Mountain Bike Action magazine. Tell your Marketing Dept to use Dirt Rag instead. :cool:

·
paintbucket
2,825 Posts
Padre said:
Good to hear Jason.
keep those pro moto flar bars coming too...many 9er riders need a flat bars to keep their cockpits set up right....

I'll be ordering a couple this week myself....
Word up on that. Saw an add for them in DR #113 and I'm saving my pennies as well. Wide flat bars, who'd've thunk I'd ever need them? :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.