Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,
New girl posting again. I have had a blast riding all week since getting my new bike.
We spent the first couple of days doing roads, just getting acquainted the the bikes.

Saturday, we spent the entire after noon on a good trail. (Anne Springs Close Greenway, for those of you in the Charlotte area)

Because of rain Saturday night, we did a paved greenway on sunday.

Now my butt hurts!
I know this is a silly sounding thread, but I'm not sure what I need to fix first.

1) While trying to find cycling shorts that fit properly, I am just wearing Novarra cycling briefs. They are padded but they probably don't have as much padding as regular pair of bike shorts.

2) My bike saddle: The saddle is what came stock on a Giant Yukon. It is a lot cushier than my husbands'. But do I need a 'women's seat'? I have a rather large rear. . . How do I know if my saddle is right for my shape?

3) Is my riding technique wrong? Do I need to be off the seat more?

4) Or, do I just need to suck it up? I've heard that my butt muscles need to get acclimated to a bike saddle.

Thanks

Catherine

·
"She has the oak"
43 Posts
Girl!! =)

1) Terry Shorts!! http://www.terrybicycles.com/detail.html?item_no=1852&c=Apparel These are my absolute favorite!!!!! I've tried them all.. I wear size 9=11 and I am in a small. (they are made by WOMEN for WOMEN!!! They know what's up)

2) I have been riding a test saddle forever.. I hate it. I bought the Terry butterfly for my cyclocross bike and it was an instant love. You should check that seat out.. http://www.terrybicycles.com/saddles/detail.html?item_no=2113900

3) Sucking it up? leave that for the rocks =) You should be comfortable first and formost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ordered a pair of terry shorts last week. They came in super-huge (accept for the rear). So I fear that a size smaller will fit everwhere but in the seat. Sigh... Like I said, I'm pretty much all butt. Maybe by the time they arrive, they will fit (she hopes out loud!)

Has anyone had clycling shorts altered?

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
two comments - are you wearing panties under the padded briefs? Panties are a nono, they contribute to chafing

With mountain biking, you should not be sitting on the saddle all the time. It's a pretty dynamic sport, you might be off the saddle as much as you are on it.

That being said, there is a butt breakin period if you aren't used to riding a lot, but the right saddle and shorts combo is essential.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Yes, it does take awhile for your "sit bones" to become accustomed to riding, but a quality saddle and chamois go a very long way.

Find out if Selle Italia offers test saddles near your location.
http://www.selleitalia.com/eng/index.html
If not, check with your LBS to see if they offer anything similar.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Both. Obviously you want shorts with a decent chamois and no underwear, and a saddle that fits you.

My two recommendations are:

1. Don't get a big, squishy saddle. That usually makes things worse. You don't want no padding, but you also want to be able to move around on the saddle, get behind it, etc. Your "sit bones" should line up with the padded part. That's how you know it fits. Whether you want a cutout our not is personal preference. But don't go with one of those enormous squishy contraptions.

2. Stand up more. If you're riding over rocks - stand up. If you're coasting or descending - stand up. The only time you should be sitting is when you're pedaling uphill on something relatively smooth. If you're going up something smooth and see a rock in your way that you're going to roll over, lift your butt up an inch as you roll over it so you're not smacking the saddle into your butt bones. All of the above is just plain going to make you ride better - the fact that your butt won't hurt is secondary. That said - I find it helps a lot even if I'm riding on the road for an extended period to stand up and pedal for even a few seconds every once in a while. Do it before you get to the numb/painful stage and it keeps the circulation going and will make you feel a lot better. That part doesn't have anything to do with riding technique - that part is just comfort for your behind. :) You do have a little bit of "breaking in" to do with your butt, but technique is huge. Don't just sit on the saddle and bounce over things though... you're never going to get your butt conditioned to that.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yes, padded shorts, no undies, good seat, stand-up... it's all good and true, but you will have a break-in period on your sit bones for the first couple rides. :ciappa:

Keep riding, girl! If you do the above, you will be enjoying your ride more in no time!

PS. Hi Connie! It's your twin-diva. . :yesnod:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
connie said:
i

You do have a little bit of "breaking in" to do with your butt, but technique is huge. Don't just sit on the saddle and bounce over things though... you're never going to get your butt conditioned to that.
Thanks for that advise. My previous bike experience has just been cruisin': either to my friends house in elementary school, or around campus. I have definitely been sitting on the saddle too much.

·
Registered
17 Posts
buffgato said:
Does anybody have any recommendations for a good women's saddle? I'm in the market for such a thing...
i am not a woman so my take on saddles is obviously a bit different, but the selle an-atomica is an amazingly comfortable saddle...its a bit pricey, though no worse than any other higher end saddle...and i do not hesitate to recommend this saddle as it is offered and sold (link below) on a website specifically about and for women bikers

https://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=22574 ...womens biking site which sells the seat (thought it appropriate to list as it is the womens' lounge)

https://www.selleanatomica.com/ ...product site with a ton of info regarding the seat

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=167789&highlight=Selle+AnAtomica
https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=412624&highlight=Selle+AnAtomica ...two discussions regarding the seat, the later being a modification of the seat, both authored by Rainman...both contain a good amount of information

just my suggestion...and it even comes in ostrich :thumbsup:

hope this is helpful:D

·
Seeker of Dirt
100 Posts
stripes said:
Test ride everything. I like the Specialized saddles. I used to like the Terry's but they're too hard for my booty. The Specialized saddles have a bit of flex to them.
x2 I love the specialized saddles. I have one on each of my bikes. I found my latest one in the bargain bin at the LBS. Some times the specialized dealers will have spares lying around from changing out the seats on new bikes. (I suppose this could go for any of the dealers.)

I have to concur with the fact that there is a break in period. After the snow melts here it always takes me a week or two to get my sit bones back in biking shape. I've found that it helps to take a day or two off after the bruised feeling flares up. Good luck, and keep up the good work! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.