Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding on my local singletrack yesterday arvo. I specifically went to get some photos to show you guys what nice tight Aussie singletrack looks like.. :)

Unfortunately, a few things went wrong. I ran out of battery on my Canon after taking a few pictures... then I pulled a shoulder muscle after my pedal got caught up on a wire-like vine going down a nice little shute and I got pitched into a tree trunk.

Then on the way out to the start of the trail I got sliced by razor grass as I went a bit too close to a big clump of it.

Luckily, the drop-bears and wild dingo's were asleep, and I didn't run into any wild kangaroos... :)

Never fear, I will return with photos soon.. :)

R.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah, the trails got me today as well.

I fell about 2m down a bank and found my left arm in a blackberry bush. My left arm now has uniform lacerations running laterally across the arm from mid forearm to mid bicep.

I'm keeping an eye on it, I washed it out with water on the trail and when I got home I washed it out with surgical alcohol and iodine. My tetanus shot was some 9 years ago, and I hope I don't get that.

On a better note my Cateye computer worked pretty good.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blackberry bushes..yep, can be very nasty.. :(

I'm so sore today..damn shoulder..I can hardly move it.. :(

Ah well, it's all part of the "fun" :)

R.

·
Registered
353 Posts
It's going around

Hmmm. There seems to be a theme going here. Were the planets aligned oddly yesterday? Here's a x-post from something I just posted on another site.

I went riding after work yesterday. Generally a nice easy, somewhat fast ride on very non-techical multi use single track (hikers, horses and bikers).

I went around a sharp right turn that you have to stay tight to the inside because the middle of the trail has been eroded away from the rain over the winter. Well, my front wheel dropped into the trench and hit a rock the size of a bowling ball. I went over the bars faster than I have ever gone OTB before. As I was coming down, and looking at where I was putting my hands on the ground, I watched my left pink finger dislocate :eek: . I immediately rolled over and looked at my finger which was pointing to the side (eeewwww!), and figured I'd better do something before the pain hit. So I grabbed it with my right hand and straightened it out. Sub-Of-A-Nich that smarts!! I sat there on the ground swearing like a sailor for a few minutes as my riding buddies extracated me from my bike and letting the adrenaline slow down a bit.

Of couse, this happens exactly in the middle of the ride, and I figure I don't really need my left pinky for riding, so we continue on. The pain actually mellowed out a bit by the time we got back to the cars.

I decided not to go to the hospital, because all that would happen is to wait around for 4 hours, then get an xray, then have them tell me there is nothing they can do (if it were broken), and tape it to the next finger. I don't think I broke anything because it had full range of motion right away, but I am keeping it wrapped and taped.

Today it's slightly swollen with only minor discoloration, and it's just sore/aching and doesn't want to move around much. I figure I just pulled some ligaments pretty good, and it should be back to normal in a few days/weeks.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guital2 said:
Few questions...

Whats razor grass

How are kangaroo's are they pretty cool & friendly or do they kick people's ass a lot?
Razor grass grows in large clumps and can reach heights of 7-8 feet tall. Each strand or "leaf" has very sharp 'barbs' all along each edge which can literally cut you like a razor. If you brush by too close to the strands they will slice you open.

Vampire Vine grows in some areas here and sucks the life out of everything it comes in contact with. It is like very strong wire and can grow to be four inches thick. It was this vine which caught my pedal and slung me into a tree trunk causing my injury.

Kangaroos are normally afraid of people, but if cornered can become very aggressive. They can rip you apart with the large claws on their feet. They balance on their tails and lift their two very strong back legs off the ground and wield those big claws like scythes.

Drop bears hide in the gum trees and drop onto unsuspecting 'animals' who pass beneath. they look "cuddly" and cute, but are really deadly.

Dingo's hunt in packs and can strip a mountainbiker to the bare bones in about five minutes.

Feral sheep are the worst though. They attack in packs and are especially bad at lambing time. New Zealand mountainbikers have literally almost been wiped out by the feral sheep.

R.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.