Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not really a bad injury, but I got pictures, so...

I don't have any pictures of my right hand, since my left couldn't move to hold the camera and wouldn't stop shaking.

Took the new-to-me cyclocross bike out for a quick ride during a break in the rain. I just wanted to adjust the seat posts, pedals, and handlebars. 500 feet down the road, I turn the street, hit a patch of water, and lowside.

My stupidity for thinking my quick ride wouldn't warrant gloves or a helmet.

Like a pansy, I freaked out thinking I might get infections and that I couldn't wash it thoroughly enough. Went to urgent care, canceling the massage and fancy dinner with me and the gf. Good job, self.

Incidentally, they gave me a shot of penicillin and tetanus, just to be safe. They said they needed to do it on my butt, which is fine. I got no issue with needles. I dropped trou - like full buttocks, shorts wrapped around my thighs. The assistant proceeded to inject me just below my waistline. Gave the assistant some freebie looks at my crack. Fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
15 stitches, and a broken finger. My pinkey touched the side of my hand before they adjusted it and I took this picture. And the cut goes all the way through my hand to the other side... It actually didnt hurt, it was weird.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I broke my wrist last weekend. Might have borken the other as well, but to afraid to have them look at it. Dont want to have a cast on both arms!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts

MRI one year after the injury. I was playing paintball without knee/shin pads and took a running jump off an embankment with the intentions of sliding on my shins over the fallen leaves. Left knee impacted with a hidden tree stump about 2" in dia. I weighted 300lbs. :rolleyes: Not long after I tore my PCL and sprained my ACL's. :madman:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was riding down a fire road that is covered with broken off shale from the adjacent cliff side. My tires washed out and I landed on my side. In a brilliant flash of genius I decided to use my forearm as a brake pad against the rocks to slow me down from about 20 mph. Needless to say, this wears out brake pads really fast. 60 stitches later, they closed this hole in my arm up.

Attachments

·
high-fivin' your nipples
64 Posts
I love showing my scars!

This injury didn't occur on a mtb, but it was on two wheels, and it is specifically the reason that I'm getting in mtb.

Tibial plateau fracture with severed fem artery and torn ACL, PCL, LCL - July 13, 2008

Outside of my right calf- ~19" faciotomy (cut to relieve pressure of compartment syndrome). Wicked awesome skin graft!

inside of my right calf - another faciotomy ~ 21" (same story as above). I have a new scar since then, branches up from the down-turn in the mainline scar, making a "y" towards my kneecap

My "landing strip" where they took the graft skin from

6 surgeries down, and we still haven't fixed the ACL/PCL/LCL! My medical insurance is michigan's financial bailout plan :D

·
high-fivin' your nipples
64 Posts
whos that guy said:
15 stitches, and a broken finger. My pinkey touched the side of my hand before they adjusted it and I took this picture. And the cut goes all the way through my hand to the other side... It actually didnt hurt, it was weird.

The cut is almost enough to overshadow the cheeto-pinky. That's a pretty brutal hand injury!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Ruckus said:
LOL.... that's when the nerve damage comes into play. I hardly feel a thing ;)
I've got a very mild case of nerve damage from a crushed foot 25 years ago. The top of my left foot... feels sort of strange, because I've got a spot about the size of a silver dollar that has zero feeling and then the surrounding area for about an inch out has a constant tingling feeling like my foot has been asleep for 25 years.

Does your nerve damage feel anything like that? Is there a chance it may heal? Best of luck with that.

·
high-fivin' your nipples
64 Posts
Mickey650b said:
I've got a very mild case of nerve damage from a crushed foot 25 years ago. The top of my left foot... feels sort of strange, because I've got a spot about the size of a silver dollar that has zero feeling and then the surrounding area for about an inch out has a constant tingling feeling like my foot has been asleep for 25 years.

Does your nerve damage feel anything like that? Is there a chance it may heal? Best of luck with that.
Yeah, it's a little like that. The tingle only happens on occasion, the rest of the time it just feels like a stump. The whole top side (foot, ankle, shin) from where my toes meet my foot up to my knee cap is totally without feeling or muscle control. When something hits it or I bash it into something, I feel it somewhere inside my leg- maybe the bone?- but nothing on the surface. I don't feel shots, tape ripping hair out, stitches being removed, anything! I had an EMG test on the nerves a few weeks back, doesn't look like there's much chance of recovery. I've seen enough happy 3-legged dogs to know an enjoyable outdoor lifestyle is still attainable, it's just going to take some adjustment.

·
high-fivin' your nipples
64 Posts
nachomc- that's a pretty intense x-ray! They take all that out, or leave it in?

And really... I'm sure I'll regret asking, but you can't post the penis ointment pic without the story behind it!

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
The Ruckus said:
nachomc- that's a pretty intense x-ray! They take all that out, or leave it in?

And really... I'm sure I'll regret asking, but you can't post the penis ointment pic without the story behind it!
Hardware is all still in. I went in to see if we could/should remove it, and the doctor said he would but recommended against it as it's not causing me any problems. I don't want another surgery if I can avoid it.

The penis ointment thing was a mix up in the pharmacy. I was supposed to put the bacitracin on my 'pin-sites' and they got it goofed up. I showed my doctor and he got a good kick out of it :lol:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just had a crash of a jump (clipped a pedal on a tractor tire laying near the takeoff i think) and i got all skinned up but coming to this thread has made me feel like nothing really happened. Thank you, broken riders:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts