Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was riding on my trails with a friend this afternoon when we both heard a metal on metal sound come from my Supercaliber. I looked down and saw the vertical tube below the shock cracked completely through.

A shock that won't hold air very long and now a cracked swingarm. Sigh. :sad:

Note: There's a photo posted here. If you see an 'X' and you are using MS Internet Explorer as your browser try hitting F5 to refresh or right clicking and selecting 'Show Picture'. Sorry.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dealer has been very good. I called the manager right after it happened and it turns out the GF rep will be in the store this week so I should be able to cut through the red tape quickly. I'll spend this morning moving my nicer components from the Supercaliber to the Paragon.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Sorry to hear about the broken Scal. Will have to keep an eye on mine. Hope mine does not break.

G

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hey G-Live. The funny thing about this break is that I think it broke under tensile (pulling a part) stress vice compression or twisting or shearing stress. It's almost impossible to manually force the two broken pieces to touch. My riding buddy commented that it was as if the vertical piece was cut too short.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
That does seem odd. At least the timing was close to the visit by the GF rep. They should take care of you quickly.

How have you been liking it to that point? I have been loving mine...even had an OTB crash last Sunday because I was getting overconfident on it. I really like how the suspension works. Climbs GREAT! Darn good everywere else. I did finally experience some of the flex others have talked about on an off balance landing on an 18" or so drop. Heard the tire buzz a bit but nothing serious. Soaked it up and kept on going.

Good luck with the warranty. Let us know how it works out. Hopefully they have parts available.

G

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm liking the Supercaliber. I got it for XC racing and it does fine. You know I've been complaining about the low bottom bracket. I'm pretty much just dealing with the pedal strikes although the dealer offered to sell me a Niner frame at cost. The Niner RIP frame is 6.5lbs. The SuperCaliber frame is 5.25lbs. Not sure I want to add a pound to my ride. Decisions, decisions. In the meantime, I'll be riding my Paragon for at least the next race. I took the Paragon out immediately after breaking the Supercal's swing arm. I was struck by how much better the Paragon steers, corners, and accelerates over the Supercal. Plus no pedal strikes. I miss the cushy ride though when cruising over rocks and roots.

Not sure why the swing arm broke. I'm not an aggressive rider by any means. I don't jump it and or treat it as an all mountain bike. Maybe that's the price one pays for such a light frame.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Wow!

That just sucks!

- I replaced a SCal swingarm under warranty for a friend and it took a whole 10 day's IIRC.
I'm not sure about Paragon stock though.....

Good luck, they'll take care of you. :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DMFT said:
That just sucks!

- I replaced a SCal swingarm under warranty for a friend and it took a whole 10 day's IIRC.
I'm not sure about Paragon stock though.....

Good luck, they'll take care of you. :)
A few questions. Where did your friend's SCal swing arm break? Are you with a LBS? I spoke with GF directly yesterday. They responded immediately to my e-mail so kudos to them. I guess they have some sort of expedited frame shipment program if I pay the the shipping costs. I need one of my bikes back asap for an upcoming race next weekend.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
srwings -

Yes, I work at a Trek Pro dealership among other brands too.

His swingarm broke in the exact same spot as yours. Sorry to hear about your badluck as of late with broken bikes.....as you already know from their quick response, you'll get taken care of.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have also had alot of trouble with gf 29ers. I first bought a x cal 2007 and cracked the seat tube. GF was very good about taking care of the problem by giving me a supercal 29er. But just last weekend I went over a 10 inch hill got a little air and broke the swingarm in three places just like the above picture. all 3 tubes in half.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.