Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy -We about to leave on a road trip out to New Mexico and we're planning on going by way of Hot Springs and then heading west on 270. Any advice about good places for family-friendly car camping that is adjacent to decent riding? My wife can't ride right now, but fortunately I have a pass to bring my bike along for a few 1 -2 hour rides, but I obviously can't just dump her at the trailhead. I've looked a some of the trail guides, but frankly I'm a little overwhelmed by how much good riding is out that way.

Thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
332 Posts
One option is to go north on 27 off 270 a few miles and camp at the Hwy 27 Fishing Village. There you have the lake and swimming etc. and access to the Womble. The area north of the river will be the ride you want!

·
Victim of Saddle Rage
620 Posts
funny

My wife and I are leaving NM next tues for the long drive to Jersey to visit the folks and escape the heat. If you are heading out I-40 stop at Palo Duro Canyon in Amarillo!! Very hot, but very fun.

I too am overwhelmed by the choices of riding in Arkansas and am trying to decide between the Ozarks: Lake Leatherwood, Syllamo or Ouachita Mnts: Womble, Blakely. I am thinking Leatherwood and Eureka Springs might be a better choice, but am still uncertain. When are you heading out that way? I also don't want to drop my lady at the trailhead and then disappear so I was thinking Eureka Springs would give her a chance to stroll or sit by a lake while I ride.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Both areas offer great trails. Blakely is pretty rough however Womble with the new Vista trail is a great duo! Vista is just out of Mt. Ida as is Womble and is right on the edge of Lake Ouachita.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'm going to take THenne's advice and hit the womble / vista and camp at the fishing village. We're heading out this week, so looks like we won't cross paths. Have a good trip. We're also hoping to hit Palo Duro.

·
Victim of Saddle Rage
620 Posts
the key may be swimming

We may also take THenne's advice. The swimming sounds great. I just can't wait to get out of here for six weeks as the weather is really unbearable. Palo D. is really a lot of fun and is open until 10pm. Go as late or early as possible. It is very humid and hot. Also watch for snakes .

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
My wife and I camped down there a couple of years ago. We stayed at Lake Ouachita State Park -- great campsites. We did a "hike-in" site that was on a peninsula and still only 100-200 feet from the car. Nice showers and bathrooms and the sites had tent pads.

We biked the Womble trail a couple of days and the Little Blakely Trail. Womble was great but we still laugh about that blakely. First we had to drive through a controlled burn and the trail itself was really rough (head-sized rocks, steep climbs straight up hills). Near the end it was okay, but I rolled my tire off the rim and wrecked the tube (my second flat of the trail) so I ended up hike-a-biking back.

We loved it down there, even made a day trip to Hot Springs and had a nice dinner there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts