Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just signed up for the Ouachita Challenge 60 miler. I did the 80 geared last year but am planning on doing this one single speed. What kind of gearing would you run? I normally run a 32x18 or 17 for normal trial riding but usually bump it up to like a 19 or 20 in back for the long distance stuff.
 

·
Dirty South Underdog
Joined
·
1,752 Posts
If I remember correctly, most of the SS guys in that area run a 30x20... or maybe it was 32x20. One of those :D

Edit- send a PM to THenne... he rides a SS on those trails.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh yeah, THenne...he loves his rampage tires. I talked to him at the race last year. I think he runs 32x20. My only oposition to that is that in the 60 last year there was a decent stretch of road, and I hare spinning out...especially when walking some parts is pretty much unavoidable anyways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
amblake50 said:
I just signed up for the Ouachita Challenge 60 miler. I did the 80 geared last year but am planning on doing this one single speed. What kind of gearing would you run? I normally run a 32x18 or 17 for normal trial riding but usually bump it up to like a 19 or 20 in back for the long distance stuff.
I've done both the 80 and 60 milers on a 29er SS. Did the 60 with a 34x19, 80 with a 34x20. I've signed up for the 60 this year. With more trail added, I'll probably go 34x20.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
amblake50 said:
oh yeah, THenne...he loves his rampage tires. I talked to him at the race last year. I think he runs 32x20. My only oposition to that is that in the 60 last year there was a decent stretch of road, and I hare spinning out...especially when walking some parts is pretty much unavoidable anyways.
Yep 32-20 for the OT but your right about road sections and Womble needing more. Also I am an old guy so 32-18 or 34-20 sound about right for you guys!
 

·
Dirty South Underdog
Joined
·
1,752 Posts
THenne said:
Yep 32-20 for the OT but your right about road sections and Womble needing more. Also I am one of those old guys who can whoop up on a lot of the younger guys so 32-18 or 34-20 sound about right for you guys (snicker)!
Fixed it for you. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
I really wanted to do that race but I'm running the Hogeye Marathon in April and there's no way I can train for both really... next year should be a go though... Are there any 50-100 mile mountain bike races in the fall, in or close to, Ar?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
noah19692000 said:
I really wanted to do that race but I'm running the Hogeye Marathon in April and there's no way I can train for both really... next year should be a go though... Are there any 50-100 mile mountain bike races in the fall, in or close to, Ar?
Berryman Epic in the end of October in Missouri. Check out btepic.com for more information. They probably don't have 2010 info posted yet.
 

·
29er zealot
Joined
·
729 Posts
noah19692000 said:
I really wanted to do that race but I'm running the Hogeye Marathon in April and there's no way I can train for both really... next year should be a go though... Are there any 50-100 mile mountain bike races in the fall, in or close to, Ar?
You might consider the Brown County Breakdown in southern Indiana, great trails and environment. One of the best run events I've been to, though not really a "race" :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Well I was not sure if I should ask this question here or not.

I am planning on going on a 3 Day bikePacking trip and want to take the 80 mile Ouachita route from last year. I have a map of it and would like some more info on it from people who have been on this trail. Could you tell me the conditions and how much is single track and how much is fire road. If you could tell me what direction is best to go that would be helpful. And maybe what sections are the best (mile marker would be helpful). Also if the camp grounds are within biking distance from the trail. If anyone has the gps locations of the camp grounds that would be great. The more detail I can get the better I think my trip will be. Thanks for your help.

Mike
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top