Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Rode Otter for 12 years or so,but it closed in 2009. There is talk of reopening it, but I haven't heard of any official opening as of yet. There are doing trail work and maintenance at this poin,t so I'm sure until they get signed off from Park manager the trails will be closed. You might try Ft.Duffield down the road or Waverly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Otter creek park is now Otter creek outdoor recreation area, going to be ran by the state fish and wildlife. the local mba has been clearing and fixing new trails the last month. We have another trail day scheduled for the 26th of this month. The plan is to open May 11th this year and we are working hard to get the trails to better then ever status once the park opens. it will be a pay to play park. if anyone would like more info pm me. or contact Vince, here is more info about up coming trail work from Mr hainey on this forum.

Hello again trail enthusiasts,

First off let me thank everyone who came out for the last trail work day. We were able to reclaim almost five miles of trail from the 09 Ice Storm. That leaves about 2/3rds of the trails left to open We have some reroutes and more trees to get out of the way in the next few trail days. Here's the dirt on the next trail work day.

When: Saturday, March 26th at 8:30 am SHARP! The park gate cannot be left open. We will be working as long as possible so bring a lunch if you want to stay all day.

What to Bring: Work gloves, sturdy shoes, water (bottled or in a camelback), lunch, loppers/trimmers , chainsaws with PPE and lots of energy.

Do not to Bring: Your Bike, the trails need much more TLC before they can be ridden.

Contact Vince Carman for more information: [email protected] or 502-442-9692
Or visit the KyMBA website at http://kymba.org and Louisville Mountainbikers Meetup at http://www.meetup.com/Louisville-Mountainbikers/

Where: Otter Creek Park Gate

From the North:
• Take I-65 through Louisville, and exit at #125 onto the Gene Snyder Freeway (841) West.
• Take the Fort Knox Exit (Exit 1).Turn left at the stoplight.
• Follow this road (31W or Dixie Highway), for 13.5 miles, to Muldraugh KY.
• At the stoplight in Muldraugh, turn right onto KY Highway 1638 and continue to Otter Creek Park (2.8 miles on the right).

From the South:
• Take I-65 North to Elizabethtown KY and exit at #91.
• Get on 31W (Dixie Highway) North and go 22.1 miles to Muldraugh KY.
• At the stoplight in Muldraugh, turn left onto KY Highway 1638 and follow this road to Otter Creek Park (2.8 miles on the right).
From the West:
• If you are coming from the west on I-64, you can get off at Corydon IN (exit 105) and avoid the Louisville traffic.
• Turn right (south) onto IN SR 135 for 16 miles. Cross the Matthew E. Welsh Bridge over the Ohio River.
• Continue going straight for 4.8 miles, until the road ends in a T. Turn right onto KY SR 448 East, and go 1.2 miles.
• Turn left onto KY Highway 1638 and go 6.5 miles. Turn left into the main entrance of Otter Creek Park.

From the East:
• Follow the Gene Snyder Freeway (841) to the Fort Knox Exit (Exit 1).
• Turn left at the stoplight. Follow this road (31W South or Dixie Highway) for 13.5 miles to Muldraugh KY.
• At the stoplight in Muldraugh, turn right onto KY Highway 1638 and continue to Otter Creek Park (2.8 miles on the right).

look forward to having my playground back.

·
Life is Short...Ride Hard
181 Posts
Otter Creek is ok at best. At $10 per rider it just doesnt appeal to me at all. There are several trails with in a very short driving distance that are much better and a lot more fun to ride and are FREE to ride.

In fact I was at Duff not to long ago and met a guy that drove up from frankfort just to ride Otter. Paid his entry fee spent a half hour out there then left disgusted and came over and rode Duffield instead.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I would have to pass Waverly and Duffield to go pay to ride Otter Creek. As of right now, not going to happen. I just don't get how they can charge $7/rider extra to ride trails that are mostly maintained by volunteers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
um ok... I understand the prices are high, and have been part of the mostly 10 person crew that has been working and rebuilding the trails at otter since early this year, lots of hours have gone into it, if folks could have seen it back in feburay you would know.. The first stage of this project for us "Kymba and the folks at Outdoor Ventures in Radcliff" was to get the trails open, we did that. between our efforts still and some of the parks folks working to keep the vegetation back it has been a constant battle. the upper loop is in great shape and we just opened a new loop on the south end of the park, yes its new, so it needs to be used and beat in. alot of clearing of small debris took place recently for the running race soon to happen. but to bash the trails because they are not epic,, if more help would show up on trailwork days, last saturday of the month this process will go alot faster, but theres only so much a crew of 5 or 6 can do in one round, trailwork days there is no fee for you so all you loose is time and you gain a better understanding in what it takes to make an epic trail system. They dont build themselves. sorry for a bit of ranting, but yall need to give it some time this place WILL and frankly already is a rocking trail. Oh.. group ride friday night at 6:30pm.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just a few questions...the trails that are currently being ridden, are these new cut trails, or old existing trails that have been cleaned up?? I see other trails there that are overgrown, but look like awesome stuff. Are there any plans to have the old trails open again?? I have heard so many stories about how great Otter used to be and was saddened that it closed just before I moved here. I applaud the work of those that were/are responsible for getting us riding back there, but I have to agree with the other two post. With so many other challenging places to ride within the area, and at 10$ a day(plus no campground still) It's just a little too much pay for play. I really hope the trails will improve with time, and again thanks for the efforts of those who did the work.

·
Trail Builder
16 Posts
Here is what is going on at Otter Creek:

Phase 1: Reopen original trail system. We are 95% complete. The creek side trail is jammed up with drift debris but can be hike a biked. Some safety and flow reroutes were performed where necessary or opportunity allowed.

Note: Phase 2 and 3 will happen simultaneously as we get the opportunity.

Phase 2: Add new trails. There is a new extension of the Valley Overlook Trail and a connector between that trail and the Otter Creek Trail up top. Both need to be ridden in and some equestrian damage recovery. There will be at least two new sections of trail going in to provide more of a stacked loop trail system.

Phase 3: Make trail improvements: erosion prevention, safety and flow reroutes, improved log piles, bermed turns, rock gardens etc... There is a lot of work to be done here to up the "epic" factor of the park. We have a huge amount of potential in the park and management is letting us build and rebuild trails that mountain bikers would like to ride.

So how epic are the trails right now? Not very epic. The system was poorly designed to begin with, had an epic ice storm in 2009 and sat for over two years before any work could be done. Yes, the trails are being restored by KyMBA and other local volunteers. Our trail work days average about 8 folks at a time. Mostly hikers and trail runners. Those days are on the fourth Saturday of every month at 8:30. Entry for volunteers is free on trail work days and you can ride all you want after trail work. If the $10 is too much call Fish and Wildlife and tell them about it. Got ideas or gripes about the trail, PM or email me.

Will it be epic? Without a doubt, yes. We haven't even reached 6 months of trail work and have reopened about 12 miles of old trail and built 3 miles of new trails.

A note on camping. There is a ton of work going on right now to reopen the campgrounds and cabins. The park would like to have camping available this month or next.

See ya'll on the trail,

Vince
KyMBA Louisville President and Otter Creek trail leader

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think you guys are doing a great job. I rode there before the closing a few years ago when visiting from Chicago and was sad when it closed. The family I visit live very close to Cherokee so I ride there. I don't know if I would pay 10 dollars to ride Otter, especially with todays economy having me count every dollar leaving my pocket.

·
White Knuckle Rider
135 Posts
Not been out there yet (didn't ride when it was open the first time)... hoping to get out to one of the Friday night socials and to do some building on a trail day. Just trying to find the time.

I appreciate everything you guys do out there and at Waverly and Cherokee.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.