Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone pull the trigger? So rad & I've been hoping for a 183bb fat bike... Otso enginerds pulled it off.

·
Human Test Subject
1,347 Posts
I'd upgrade frames but after spending 4 years salary on a 197 Onyx hub I'm stuck.

·
Premium Member
9,119 Posts
I'd upgrade frames but after spending 4 years salary on a 197 Onyx hub I'm stuck.
Come on, you know it was only two year's salary ;)

I'm thinking about buiilding a third set, but the sticker price is staggering.

Honestly, when I was looking to upgrade frames, I felt stuck with 177hubs as there seems to be more frame choices that are 197.

To the OP, the 83mm bb and 177 chainline are going to be great, BUT nothing over a 3.8-4" tire will work, so take care picking rims so you don't grow your tire too much and have chain suck issues.

I'd direct you to a Wozo or a Blizzard.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I think you can send it back to Onyx and have the guts put in a 177 shell for cheap money. Like $100. Not 100% on this, but I would reach out to them and check

To the OP, the 83mm bb and 177 chainline are going to be great, BUT nothing over a 3.8-4" tire will work, so take care picking rims so you don't grow your tire too much and have chain suck issues.
Not true. You can run 4.6" tires on 70s. My Bulldozer fit on the closest setting (430mm) on a 80mm rim. There is 117mm of clearance. OP give them a call or email, they will tell you what tires they have run on the bike without issue, I was shock at some that fit. They did race the bike in the Iditabike after all.

The bike is awesome, it is a absolute blast to ride and the company is great to work with. Very happy with mine

·
Premium Member
9,119 Posts
I think you can send it back to Onyx and have the guts put in a 177 shell for cheap money. Like $100. Not 100% on this, but I would reach out to them and check

Not true. You can run 4.6" tires on 70s. My Bulldozer fit on the closest setting (430mm) on a 80mm rim. There is 117mm of clearance. OP give them a call or email, they will tell you what tires they have run on the bike without issue, I was shock at some that fit. They did race the bike in the Iditabike after all.

The bike is awesome, it is a absolute blast to ride and the company is great to work with. Very happy with mine
That needs proving, pics?

My Wozo with 100mm bb, 177mm hub, GX 1 X 11, Sunrace 11-46, RF Next SL, Blackspire 26t Oval NW, Minion 4.8, Large Marge 65mm.

I have a small 1/4" of chain clearance in the large cog. An 83mm bb would have chain interference unless you put all your spacers on the drive side, not ideal in my book.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
That needs proving, pics?

My Wozo with 100mm bb, 177mm hub, GX 1 X 11, Sunrace 11-46, RF Next SL, Blackspire 26t Oval NW, Minion 4.8, Large Marge 65mm.

I have a small 1/4" of chain clearance in the large cog. An 83mm bb would have chain interference unless you put all your spacers on the drive side, not ideal in my book.
I didn't take any pics when that tire was test fitted and I gave it to the guy that bought my Blizzard. Otso sells the bike with 45nrth Dunders and Flowbeist or Wazia 4.6.
The custom offset ring allows wide tires to fit

How about pics just generally. What's all the fuss about?

Show us lusty.
Here you go

·
Premium Member
9,119 Posts
Nice bike. It figures you'd have to use the offset ring for clearance, I'd have the same issue on my Wozo if my bb was narrower.

How's the chainline in the two innermost cogs? Can you backpedal?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Backpedaling isn't an issue. I even have video proof for you

[video]https://photos.smugmug.com/Fat-bikes/i-rX8vnvr/0/1280/20161227_163928-1280.mp4[/video]

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
My sack saw the frame and found the closest hiding/safe spot, which is exactly where they will be when they collide w/ that top tube. ouch

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm running D5s on 65mm inner width whiskey rims too.

Chain is very close but no issues so far.

Really liking the bike so far.

Note - comes with the *tuning chip* that allows for 430mm and 450mm by flipping 180 deg. but does not come with the *tuning chip* necessary to achieve the center position (440mm). That would be my one minor nit...

Looking forward to the custom frame bags (available soon they say) - they will use the mounting holes on the under side of the top tube.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts