Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a trip to the holy land with my teenage boys next summer. I've never been. Yes we will ride (a lot) but I'm looking for other things to do that will help justify the 3,000 mile journey and make the trip more of an "experience". These can be cultural, natural, outdoors, active, entertainment, etc. Anywhere within a few hours is in play. Just something to do on a couple days when we aren't riding. I'd also be up for an overnight excursion if there were something great to do but too far to day trip. Thanks!

·
Registered
507 Posts
My favourite non biking thing (in summer) is hiking, lots of different ones around but the easier ones would be the chief in Squamish, Joffre lakes north of Pemberton or the ones starting from the ski hill. Harder ones garibaldi park (black tusk/panorama ridge/garibaldi lake), wedge, russet lake. Amazing rock climbing in Squamish if you're in to that at all, good sport bouldering trad. Cultural depends what you want, could poke around downtown Vancouver being a tourist, could make a trip to Victoria which is super cool and adding whale watching over there would be sweet. In Whistler you could always zipline (sasquatch zipline is amazing), bungee, raft, sail, Atv, the list goes on there's tour operators for all kinds of stuff. Or just chilling at lost lake, swim to the tippy dock haha. There a lot going on around here, depends what you like I guess.

·
Registered
477 Posts
When we were in Whistler several years ago we went on a guided ATV tour, kayaking, white water rafting and jetboating up some river. All were very fun. But the best part might have been eating freshly caught salmon every night for dinner!

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,268 Posts
I ALWAYS plan at least one free day in the Village. Awesome food, beverages, shopping and people watching.

I have done the rafting thing there. It's ok. Class 3 rapids if I recall correctly. Nothing like Golden but not too bad. The zipline is fun. The guided hikes are just okay - a little on the tranquil and tame side. Probably best to follow Kevin267's advice above, blow off the guided tours completely, and launch out on your own, if a hike is of interest.

When I go, I bike (hill, trails or both) and hang out lots in the Village. That's about it. And it's awesome. Although the Village is a little better in winter people watching and vibe-wise, summer is incredible too.

All that said, I think it all depends who you go with. Your kids may not be all that amped to spend a day in the Village.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts