Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to try the Midge thing out, and I'm wondering what high-rise stems people are using with them. I'm aware of the On One, Profile Designs and Ritchey offereings, any others? :confused:

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
moondoggy said:
I'm going to try the Midge thing out, and I'm wondering what high-rise stems people are using with them. I'm aware of the On One, Profile Designs and Ritchey offereings, any others. I'm thinking that I may need a stem shorter than 80mm (On One), any ideas? :confused:
I was wondering if a Syntace VRO stem would work with a Midge. Sure would be nice if it did considering all the positions one could mess around with. It might make fitting a Midge easier.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
29Colossus said:
I was wondering if a Syntace VRO stem would work with a Midge. Sure would be nice if it did considering all the positions one could mess around with. It might make fitting a Midge easier.
I have considered the Syntace. The issue I see is the stem itself does not have enough rise for my applications. I have thought about getting just the riser "peanuts" and clamping them to a cut off bar in a riser stem.

For setting up the drops the first time I keep a Zoom stem riser around

and I have a few other custom made options

The "stock" stems I use most often are the cheap $15-30 house brand 35-40 degree stems.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunatley, my parts bin is rather thin, due to a recent purge. My inventory of 30+ degree rise stems is nonexistent. I've checked out the Salsa's and they are nice. I'm thinking that I'll need something shorter than 80mm (their shortest).

Currently the bike has a 110mm X 5 degree with monkeyLite EA50's. They are a 9 degree back sweep with the 3/4 inch rise. By my calculations and given the 65mm forrward sweep of the Midge's bend, I'll need something in the ball park of a 60mm X 30 degree rise stem. However, I haven't accounted for the loss of length due to the extreme rise. How much is 30 degrees rise shortening the 60mm effective length ??? I realize I may have to try a few different ones to dial it in, but that should be close. I think .... Or no ?

I'm open to input from those more in the know on Midge matters.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the chart, that's very handy. I've been looking for something like that for a while. It looks like the effective length on a 110mm x 5 degree stem would be shortened by 15mm or so when it's rise is increased to 30 degrees.

My steerer tube is already cut, but I don't think it will be a problem. There are a couple of spacers on it still.

Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.