Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about 550 miles the pads on my front M9100 caliper are shot. I had some spare pads from prior gen of dual piston XT/XTR brakes but found they were to large to fit the M9100.

Shimano part number for M9100 pads are K04Ti (metal) and K03Ti (resin). These aren't in stock anywhere near me so i went looking for other compatible pads.

This Shimano page: https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/service-upgradeparts/***-xtr.html
shows all the brakes the K04Ti & K03Ti pads are compatible with.

Looking at some of those brakes like the R8070 https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/ULTEGRA_R8000_SERIES_GENUINE_PARTS.pdf
show additional compatible pads such as the K02S (resin w/ steel backing plate).

I called Shimano to confirm. They said all are interchangeable (same size) except the finned pads can't be used in the M9100.

Hope this helps some folks needing replacement pads. Is 550 miles (in the mountains) fast pad wear?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I recently changed out of the Metallic Shimano pads for M615 brakes with about 800 miles on them. They lasted slightly longer than the resin pads they replace.

Can't say though how long they 'should' last. Riding conditions play a part in it. Riding mud all the time will wear a pad. Riding all steep shuttle runs will limit the amount of time.

On average though, the 550 sounds a bit premature but depends on your habits and conditions.

I ride a 2016 FSR if it matters.

·
Registered
696 Posts
helpful as I've been going through similar agony. new set of 9100's and I fouled a set of pads bleeding them. I've called so many shops, it's crazy...no one has K03ti or K04 ti in stock. I did find a shop with K02ti and K02s in stock so I'm going to try those. I did talk to a guy at Shimano's customer service line and he said any of the 'K' series pads will work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.