Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ridden the "Prescott Four" areas extensively: Spruce Mtn, Lynx Lake, Granite Basin, Thumb Butte and just looking for something different/new. Any suggestions? Have the trail maps, but hard to tell what might be rideable/worth riding from them. Have heard of trails leading from Copper Basin Rd through the golf course all the way to Thumb Butte. Mostly traversing of course, but that's okay if it's a decent ride. What about portions of the Prescott Circle Trail? Not looking for anything astounding, just a change of pace and location once and awhile. Oh, and given my bike and skill level I think I'll pass on the Mingus DH. (for now).

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Have you researched the Sharlot Hall maps yet?

My favorite outside the Big Four is the trail that runs along the ridge northwest of Thumb Butte. Hell if I can remember what it's called though. Too many trails in my head. It'll jump out at you on the map. I'm thinking maybe it's called "West Spruce Trail". Definitely a worthy ride.

p.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Paul. Is the trail you're talking about the one that drops down from the Sierra Prieta overlook? I'll look at the maps tonight (Sharlot). I also have a guidebook to Prescott and Central Highland trails. Written by a hiker, but useful combined with the Sharlot maps. Any other suggestions?

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Yes! It drops off that overlook and heads sort of northeast IIRC. Make a loop by hooking the ends together with forest roads.

There's also a ride called "Sandy's Loop" that Ed Furbush @ Southwest Sounds & Cyclery put together that is VERY nice, involving stuff over by White Rock and heading up toward Iron Springs Road. It's all on the Sharlot maps but impossible to explain.

Another worthy ride, although it's kind of hard to set up, is Yankee Doodle Trail. You have to go up into the Bradshaws to Palace Station, and then ride back up the road to loop it or else shanghai a shuttle driver.

Jim Howery, who posts here as Jm, has the whole area dialed in. I'd rely on him for directions.

Sadly, Prescott needs a LOT of love from me for the next edition. I know where pretty much all the good stuff is now, but really didn't back then. :-(

p.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
You can make a decent ride off of Aspen Creek, trail 48, going down to where it meets 260, climbing up 260 to Mr Francis road, and then back to the beginning of 48 and along 48 back to where you started. The first part of 48 that you ride will be an out and back, then you'll make a loop by doing the 260/48 thing, and then come back on 48. It's pretty fun and there's a couple challenging switchbacks down near where it meets with 260.

There's spruce mountain, it doesn't sound like you are riding that, and there's a very fun roller coaster descent on the 5.5 mile trail back down to Groom Creek. It's not a very long ride, but you could make it way longer by including some sections of the Potato Patch or trail 297 or 299.

There's obviously a lot of trails in Granite Basin, trail 40 is my favorite there and a blast to come down, do it if you have not already.

There's a fun loop that you can do by starting at the China Buffet near costco. Climb on trail 62 (it sucks, but this ride gradually gets better so most of the suckieness is at the beginning) to 7 mile gulch trail, then turn right here past the gate, then continue to the trail 299 junction, turn left here, then continue to Spruce Mountain Road, and continue up it for about a mile and a half, then turn left on trail 297 Smith Ravine, which is a BLAST. This drops you off at the top of trail 305, which is fun as well. Take 305 back to where you came from.

There's a few trails near the overlook on Thumb Butte Road. There's a short single track no longer than a mile that is opposite of the overlook, and you can link it with fire roads to get to another short peice fo singletrack that drops down to where the cattle guard used to be. I'll climb the road and do this route on my DH bike sometimes, but it's not very fun either way, kind of boring. There is also West Spruce trail that is about a mile before the overlook heading in a Northwest direction, this would have to be combined with some fire roads, but it's a good deal more singletrack than the short trail opposite of the overlook.

There's also the White Rock loop. Short and not very exciting, but you can loop it with some other trails in the area to spend a little while longer out there, it's not one of the "big" rides though, but it could be part of a "big ride" in Thumb Butte with the West Spruce trail perhaps.

There's also the Turley Trail. There's some cool sections of this trail, and it's not so damn loose like trail 62. You take Turley Trail to the UPPER portion of trail 62 (basically after all the sucky parts), and then you end up at that 7 mile gulch intersection. You could make a pretty mega ride starting from here. You start at 5500 feet behind the Theater in the Frontier Mall, and you could ride all the way to the top of Spruce Mountain (7700 feet) and then down and up Spruce, and back. This would be about 3500 of climbing, not counting intermediary climbs.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jm, thanks for the heads up re: Aspen Creek and the Turley Trail. I've looked at connecting to other trails via Turley with interest in the past so glad to hear it's a decent ride.

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
Some others

I don't know if you have gotten out of the Granite basin area to explore the Little granite trail 37. Catch this up Iron springs from the granite basin road. A very nice climb followed by a fun technical, steep descent. It is an out and back (unclimbable by me anyway on the way back). Great views of skull valley. You can also continue on this trail all the way around the Granite mountain wilderness for a huge epic ride. Part of this requires fire road riding. This is probably a 3-5 hour ride. LOTS of cactus.

You can also link a nice loop from 37 (climb) to 40 (nice downhill) (clark springs) to 349 in granite basin. Cut from 349 across the Alto off road area back to where you started for a nice 1-2 hr loop. This saves climbing 40 which verges on masochistic.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've only done up/down Clark Springs (know about the connection through the OHV area from 349). Never considered 37 past the 40 turnoff. What about 37 up to Blair Pass, west on 38, then back south and east to 37 on 39? Worth the little loop or is 37 better just as an out and back? Don't have much interest in taking 38 out to Contreras Rd and back on Iron Springs. Asphalt drains my legs and spirit much too quickly.

·