Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(cross post from what bike to buy)

My FS is slowly dying and I feel no great need to replace it with another FS frame.

So, with lots of decent parts, who makes a hardtail frame to hang them off of? I will use the Santa Cruz Chameleon as the standard. Frame has to be disc ready and cost no more than $450 (price of Chameleon) and be able to handle a 5" travel fork. I want something to use for heavy duty XC (yes, that probably falls into the freeride category but I'm not really very aggressive), maybe some lift served. This is a frame NOT for xc racing. I have and love one of those already.

What is out there? The less expensive the better.
Thanks
REV

·
Shreddin the Cul de Sac
488 Posts
Jamis Komodo fits your criteria

I have a 19" that I bought from Jenson last fall, and started building it up, but never finished. It's never been ridden. I'm trying to raise money to re-suspend my fully. If you're interested I'll sell it too you cheap. I can send you pics and stuff too.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Too bad but nice thought

My custom HT frame is based on a 17". All my other bikes are mediums. For a bike I "might" use for DH, I don't want to go for a big frame but thanks anyway.

·
Banned
83 Posts
Rev Bubba said:

My FS is slowly dying and I feel no great need to replace it with another FS frame.

So, with lots of decent parts, who makes a hardtail frame to hang them off of? I will use the Santa Cruz Chameleon as the standard. Frame has to be disc ready and cost no more than $450 (price of Chameleon) and be able to handle a 5" travel fork. I want something to use for heavy duty XC (yes, that probably falls into the freeride category but I'm not really very aggressive), maybe some lift served. This is a frame NOT for xc racing. I have and love one of those already.

Thanks
REV
How about a Cove Stiffee? Jenson has some '03's for $495.00.

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Rev Bubba said:

Thanks
REV
Rev, maybe Im missing something but why not just get the Chameleon. Seems like you might be overthinking this one a bit. There isn't a single negative review and the bike flat out rocks.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was actually hoping to hit the $300 range

Steel, aluminum, made in China by convicts or out of work poets. Not letting political correctness stand in the way of my wallet at this point.

·
Banned
83 Posts
On one Inbred?

·
Card Carrying Member
2,032 Posts
Rev Bubba said:
My search is coming up blank.
jensonusa.com

Coming from someone who has had two old style Chameleons (one still), I'd either get a newer one with the improved disc mount or get something like the Stiffee. There's also the Banshee Scirocco... VERY cool frame with an even cooler warranty. :)

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I want options and a lower price

The Chameleon is what I know of. I'm interested in finding out about what I don't know of. Plenty of low cost frames out there, I just have to find one that is a great buy. Not totally interested in a used one though.

Just never got sold on the whole FS gig. Have one now and do ride it but when the frame goes, I may write them off as something I just don't need.

·
Banned
83 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
My Take

I would personally go with the Banshee Scirocco, I think it is one of the nicest bikes out there to compare to a chameleon. I am not overly impressed with the quality on the newer chameleons. I have both a 2002 (old style) and and 2003 New Style in my garage (the old ones mine the new one belonged to my brother and now my wife) and comparing the two side by side the workmanship has just slipped tremendosly imho. (the yoke that links the chainstay to the bottom bracket has changed from a nice machined peice to a piece of poorly cut tubing with sloppy welds, and similarly the welding and tubing surounding the wishbone look shoddy. These are the most noticable just looking at the bikes quickly, but if you take a closer look at the frames you notice quite a bit more, but I wont bore you with the details. I in no way want to start bashing santa cruz, I have had nothing but a pleasnt experince with the company, its employees and their products, just noting the changes I have noticed) Ok with that said, that is why I would lean to anoother manufacture. The on-one inbred is a great bike, rode a friends when I was in londong and was really impressed specially for the money, great steel ride, and the geometry is spot on up to 100mm of fork travel, beyond that I think it suffers, so depending on what fork you are running on your dully this may be an option. (you can also get an adaptor for a rear derailleur for the single speed frames which I know web cyclery carries, I do not know anyone stocking geared inbreds in the US) But the only ones that I can think of that come close to your price pint are Banshee, Cove, On-One, Plantet X. YOu might want ot check out Endless Bikes, and Goatbike to as they amke some interesting bikes. Good Luck

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Rev Bubba said:
The Chameleon is what I know of. I'm interested in finding out about what I don't know of. Plenty of low cost frames out there, I just have to find one that is a great buy. Not totally interested in a used one though.

Just never got sold on the whole FS gig. Have one now and do ride it but when the frame goes, I may write them off as something I just don't need.
Gotcha! If weights not an issue, look at the Azonic Steelhead. Well under $300 and built like a tank! Stealth black looks cool and the welds are actually really nice. It's just heavy, thats all.

·
Inbred Homebrewer
847 Posts
DMR Trailstar LT

Steel. I.S. Disc tabs. Geometry centered around a 5" fork. Good tire clearance. A solid frame that's right up your (latest) alley. 255.00 GBP (sorry, but I don't know the exact exchange rate today, but I'm guessing this is still in the ballpark for you, pricewise.) Check it out: DMR Trailstar LT.

You could also check out the Planet X new jack flash

Rev Bubba said:

Thanks
REV

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Weight is not a major concern

My FS runs about 29 lbs against 23.5 to 24.0 for my race hardtail. This would be a frame and bike to abuse with all those heavier existing parts thrown on. I.E. Psylo fork, Rhyno Lite wheels, discs (either Magura Louise or Avid Mechs) etc. I think the current FS frames runs near 7 lbs alone. Don't figure it would be hard to save a pound or two with a hardtail, even a heavy one.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts