Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My FS is slowly dying and I feel no great need to replace it with another FS frame.

So, with lots of decent parts, who makes a hardtail frame to hang them off of? I will use the Santa Cruz Chameleon as the standard. Frame has to be disc ready and cost no more than $450 (price of Chameleon) and be able to handle a 5" travel fork. I want something to use for heavy duty XC (yes, that probably falls into the freeride category but I'm not really very aggressive), maybe some lift served. This is a frame NOT for xc racing. I have and love one of those already.

What is out there? The less expensive the better.
Thanks
REV

·
Registered
726 Posts
Rev Bubba said:
My FS is slowly dying and I feel no great need to replace it with another FS frame.

So, with lots of decent parts, who makes a hardtail frame to hang them off of? I will use the Santa Cruz Chameleon as the standard. Frame has to be disc ready and cost no more than $450 (price of Chameleon) and be able to handle a 5" travel fork. I want something to use for heavy duty XC (yes, that probably falls into the freeride category but I'm not really very aggressive), maybe some lift served. This is a frame NOT for xc racing. I have and love one of those already.

What is out there? The less expensive the better.
Thanks
REV
The Giant STP is one of the best Al frames in that class/price bracket. You can go for the STP2 if you need v-brake mounts or the STP1 if you want disc-only. It has oversized tubing all around, a forged HT, forged chainstay yoke, pierced TT, clearance for up to 2.5" rear tire, 4ish lbs, regular (14") or large (16") sizes, and great geometry. I'm riding a 14" right now and I'm 5'11" - I got it for mixed riding, but mostly for jumping/park. If you want it mostly for aggressive trail usage, go for the large if you are around my size. You might have a hard time finding the 04s - check with your LBS

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm exactly your size

Well, 5'11" anyway. What did the STP cost? I don't see it offered as a frameset in the Giant Catalog. I would run Magura Louise discs and a Psylo SL up front plus a mix of XTR/XT/LX drivetrain parts.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Rev Bubba said:
Well, 5'11" anyway. What did the STP cost? I don't see it offered as a frameset in the Giant Catalog. I would run Magura Louise discs and a Psylo SL up front plus a mix of XTR/XT/LX drivetrain parts.
Giant does offer framesets for the STP. Give your Giant LBS a call. I don't remember if they are offering both the STP1 and STP2 or just one of them. The only difference is STP2 also has v-brake mounts while STP1 is disc-only. The STP3 is their low-end HT for the line and is a different frame (I don't think it comes as a frameset either...).

Are you from NJ BTW?

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again

I'm from Rockaway, ride Mahlon Dickerson more than most areas and my main LBS is Whippany Cycle, a big Giant dealer. I've also purchased an IF frame from Marty's in Morristown and a Schwinn BMX for my younger son from Cycle Craft in Parsippany a bunch of years ago.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I highly recommend the Yeti DJ. Very similar to the Chameleon-I used to have one-but the Yeti has better tire clearance, replaceable dropouts, and a super thick headtube-same one as their DH frame. Check it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts