Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hahahaha.

That qualifies as A) inexplicable, B) comedy gold, and C) worthy of an endless barrage of abuse and mockery for such a crash. :D

I'm going to sit here rewinding it continuously for the next 30 minutes trying to figure out what went wrong and chortling. Bit of advice though since I'm such a factory team pro gravity pilot UCI champion...the rumors are false, off the back is horrible for descending. Just stay centered, maybe 60% rear weight, and roll it no brakes or a little rear brake to control the speed.

EDIT: Upon further viewing it looks like the front tire slid on the last rock, hit the dirt with some lateral accelleration, bent and/or popped the tire, bottomed the fork, and sent him flying.

Was the wheel toast after that?

Like I said, comedy GOLD.

·
Just another FOCer
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What you can't see are a couple of the guys standing in the trail down below. That might have messed Fergus up, causing him to take too much of an angle on the rock face.

It is an easier than it looks roller with plenty of soft dirt down below to pad mistakes.

Fergus said after, "If you are gonna crash, find some soft dirt." He accomplished that. :D

The wheel must have been fine. (In the video it does look like it bends momentarily.)

HBT - I hear you. I know I fight the urge to lean way back on the steeps these days. Old habits.

·
...In the meantime.
218 Posts
It's nice to know I can make somebody laugh these days.:rolleyes:

In retrospect a coupla of things went wrong all at the same time, mostly it was rider error magnified by loose dirt...live and learn.

I'm also going to blame my now blown 5th Element (though it probably had nothing to do with it). It gives me an excuse.:D

BTW the front wheel is just fine...straight and true as ever (I know how to build a good wheel)

·
Registered
313 Posts
this video makes me not want to buy a iron horse hollowpoint mkiii :eek: . Do you think a fork with a slacker head angle would have helped not eject you like that? And how about those folks that have put slacker angle'd forks on the mkIII? how much did it help if you liked it? :skep:

·
Just another FOCer
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Evilbkr's MKIII is one of those "slacker" versions with him running the 06 Z1 Light. (150 mm.) He seems to like the Z1 better than the Pike it replaced.

He blames this OTB on rider error.

I think he is just getting used to riding steep rollers like the one in the video.

dejacky said:
this video makes me not want to buy a iron horse hollowpoint mkiii :eek: . Do you think a fork with a slacker head angle would have helped not eject you like that? And how about those folks that have put slacker angle'd forks on the mkIII? how much did it help if you liked it? :skep:

·
...In the meantime.
218 Posts
dejacky said:
No single-crown fork currently available would have helped me in that situation.:eek: Like I said I made a number of mistakes all at once.:yikes:

Like Winston said my MKIII is one of the slacker ones around, the HA is about 69 degrees with the Travel set at 150mm.

Don't let my stupidity discourage you from purchasing what is a very good frame, this bike has totally redefined my experience with FS designs.

·
Registered
313 Posts
From the looks of it, something with your bike is preventing you saving yourself from that face plant. Either some bike compnentry, like your fork, or some settings are off (possibly your rear blown shock). A properly setup bike with the right components wouldn't have bucked you forward like that imho.

·
...In the meantime.
218 Posts
My rear damper is straight-up f#cked, no rebound damping whatsoever...Even when I have the rebound knob run all the way in. The set up on the bike is good (you'll have to trust me on this)...the fork is great. It comes down to compounding mistakes + rider error + not having been in the saddle for seven weeks (injury) + equipment failure (blown 5th element) = me OTB.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts