Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Bikeoholic
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a set of H-bars on my SIR9 and I'm thinking of setting it up as a 1x9... I've already obtained an old school XTR rear derailleur so I'm set on that. Now I'm looking at the SL-SS95 (aka) the XTR remote shifter:

http://www.totalbike.com/cgi-bin/reference.cgi?part=SL-SS95&page=185z

Now then, on the page referenced above it refers to 2 possible kits that can be purchased... I am assuming kit #2 only differs in that it includes additional cables...

So it says that kit #1 replaces the stand alone shifter (sl-m950) ...

Would I be wrong in assuming that kit #2 can do the same and just have some extra cables left over??

So onto the question that is burning in my mind:
Do I need to purchase an XT or XTR shifter to use with the SL-SS95, or will the remote shifter work as a stand alone shifter?

Thanks in advance for any help / advice

·
Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
630 Posts
You'll need a rapid fire plus shifter with the little hole and plug in the Thumb Paddle. XT-XTR, if yours has one (the hole) you're all set. I have no answers for the Kit's though. I used one for a season and it was pretty cool.

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
One kit includes a remot and a right shifter pod, the other includes a remote and a right shifter pod that can be mounted to an STI (Brake/shifter) unit. Neither kit has been available for some time. I got one from Cambria a few years ago for like $40. I’m not sure how you are going to use this on an H-bar though. The shifter pod will be inaccessible or in the way and the remote will be pretty far away to mount it in a place where you have clearance to use it. Im not sure if the tiny cables that connect the two together would be long enough and as I remember they are different than normal shift cables. I’d suggest you look at some Paul thumbies.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.