Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I quit WoW (World of Warcraft) on November 2. For those of you who don't know what it is, it is the most addicting game on the market. I quit one week before the expansion, I deleted all of my gear sent all my gold to my friends (and yes they were real life friends lol) and uninstalled it from my computer. But just recently since i have been inside most of the time due to the cold weather, I have been getting the urge to play again. I cannot go back because it consumed my life. I logged 5 days of played time in 3 weeks...this game almost destroyed my relationship with my girlfriend. I have been having dream about playing wow and I keep waking up with the urge to get on. I woke up one day and thought i had it back and my life seemed better until i found out that I had a dream that i got it back. Has anyone else recovered from WoW and have a story to tell about it. I really don't want to go back but it is getting difficult to fight the urge to play again. Also all of my close friends play wow and constantly tell me to get it back and talk about it in front of me

·
MTBiker
988 Posts
I used to play a similar game in high school. Probably like 5 hours a day and all night on the weekends. It went on for a few months and it's all I could think about and dream about. Eventually my dad said to quit by a certain date, and I did, but signed on once or twice afterward to just see how things were (with hopes to play again in the future). Eventually I realized how dumb it is, and I haven't even played video games at all since (aside from 10 mins or so at a friends house a couple times a year). I just don't get any enjoyment out of them...

Looking back, I could have done so many more social or educational things in that time...as I (and you) have nothing to show for playing that game.

Just find something else to do (like building a bike light :p) and eventually you'll realize how retarded the game was

·
Registered
269 Posts
I never got into WOW, but I was addicted to Counter-Strike for years. I played in leagues and at one point, was ranked in the top 100.

I uninstalled it from my computer. Anytime I got the urge to play video games, I'd hop on and play Xbox for an hour and that would kill the urge. You could also take a walk or go clean something, etc to get your mind off playing the game.

·
knock-knock...
577 Posts
i have a friend that's pretty addicted. From someone who doesn't know what it is like, but gets frustrated with the addicts don't go back man, even if they don't tell you some will really appreciate you for it.

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
I had a friend at work who used to play Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield 2 regularly with me online. We had such a great time.

Then a new guy was hired on who was a huge WoW addict and got my friend to buy the game to play with him. That was the end of BF1942 and BF2 for him, never saw him on those games again.

They tried to get me to get the game but my mind is too strong for their Jedi mind tricks. I like PC games but not to the extent that it takes over my life. 10 years ago, I was a PC game addict and now I am free of that addiction. I play every now and then but since I picked up biking in 2006, that is all I want to do now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CrimsonFox said:
You could also take a walk or go clean something, etc to get your mind off playing the game.
I play guitar. But ever since I quit wow guitar has taken up my wow time. so I have been averaging 3-4 hours a week day and around 8 on the weekends. It is a more productive but I'm usually sitting at the computer when I play and I still get the urge. And as for cleaning....lol I hate cleaning...maybe if I get a job I won't have the urge to play anymore

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Used to be an Everquest addict. It was known as Evercrack. Was one of the original players in many of the first massive multiplayer games (Warbirds, Ultima Online, Everquest) where I was often a beta tester first then player later. However I also had obligations such as school, so was not able to keep up with my online friends which frustrated me. Eventually I just walked away from games like that. Bought an Xbox instead and now i can log on and play something for 30min and be happy. No leveling up, no collecting equipment. I dont even play that anymore now that I have found mountain biking.

Dont go back...unless that is the life you want (ie no girlfriend, sedentary, overweight, and pale)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Dude, 5 days of played time in 3 weeks isn't too crazy. I have rl friends that could pull that off quite quickly. Regardless, WoW is best taken in moderation. I played casually over winterbreak and still stayed in shape and went out quite often.
Only go back to WoW if you know that you have the self control and motivation to not turn into what Okie said, which is actually quite true.

The other option is go out and ride some more regardless of the weather. Sitting at home without anything to do is prime addiction time, so make sure you have something constructive to pursue in your free time.

·
Registered
115 Posts
ArmySlowRdr said:
that'll just cause a better addiction:eek:
fixed :thumbsup:

I guess i got lucky and really lost my taste for those kind of games with diablo 2. I played that game because of friends in school at the time and waste a waste of time it was. Afterall, you can be the most badass player in WoW, but chances are the people who are weaker characters are getting laid more...so who really wins? :p

·
Registered
359 Posts
My brother is into that hardcore, not sure how he stays caught up with college. I'm satisfied with xbox360, I just play an hour or 2 here and there with friends, usually don't play by myself.(but sometimes I play with myself, although thats not an addiction:D )

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
I was addicted to online roleplaying games about 10 years ago. It pretty much consumed my life. I started out with text based MUD's and then started playing games like Ultima Online, and then FPS games. I don't think I made a concious decision to quit necessarily.. I just got involved in other hobbies that seemed so much more productive and fun. Now I dislike playing video games for the most part. I basically quit completely, which is the way I personally have to do it because I know I won't have the willpower to only play once in a while, or to play in moderation like a normal person.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I play WoW occasionally, 8 hours a week at the most. I just take my time, quest, do a pick up group dungeon once in a while... I don't have the best builds or the best gear, but I actually have fun and have a life.

For the Horde!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
middy said:
I play WoW occasionally, 8 hours a week at the most. I just take my time, quest, do a pick up group dungeon once in a while... I don't have the best builds or the best gear, but I actually have fun and have a life.

For the Horde!
That is exactly how I was. I was probably averaging 5-6 in a week. But then when i was 69 and wanted to reach 70 (this is pre lich king) I leveled all 20 bars in one night. That is when i got hooked and i quit for a couple weeks, came back for a couple months and spent wayyyy to much time on it and then quit in November. I was horde too lol

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.