Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
left Phx thursday at 3:30, got in to Pagosa Springs at midnight, saw some of the Geminid meteor shower during the drive, up at 6:30 for 1st chair. ride til close, hot tub, eat, crash at 9, repeat, repeat and drive home. very tiring 3 days, but can't beat the conditions and only $350 each for 3 days of waist-deep powder.

Wolf Creek has an awesome, unpretentious vibe. the lodge side is fun with "traditional" layout. the far side of the mtn is only steeps, paths and cattracks with no runs per-se just pick your way through the trees to the bottom. it can be hard on boarders and new\intermediates skiers, you have to really think about your momentum and run-outs and enjoy tree skiing. powder was so deep, the steeps totally did not scare me but the flats were absolute death if you lost momentum. 1st tracks on anything but steep pitches buried the board. i flipped so many times i lost count, just had to keep clawing my way back up to being vertical and point downhill again. the churn stayed soft and was great riding if you stayed low and got aggressive.

1. 1st chair on Friday - snowed all day long and was about 10 degrees
2. 10 feet in the 2 weeks prior
3. bluebird day on Saturday
4. hiking Knife Ridge to some near-vertical dropins that were very very humbling. Alberta Peak in the background.
5. just before dropping down Alberta Peak into waist deep powder. hard 20 minute hike for 30 seconds of bliss, a short shot through the trees, to an even steeper 2nd pitch, then a tight but mild path into a final pitch called the Waterfall Area. the whole run took about an hour.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Dang it, Chollaball! I had to go to IT to get a new keyboard, cuz my drool just fried the old one.

It looks like you had the mtn all to yourselves.

And it I gotta admit there is nobody having more fun on the mtn on a good powder day than the snowboarders, but the flats certainly do suck! (That's how we correlate mtn biking and snowboarding - "flats suck!").

That leeward side of Alberta looks dreamy!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,947 Posts
Nice, one of my fellow flight instructors went to wolf creek over the weekend too.

Here are my pics from snowbowl;

Attachments

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
Sweet!

I hate you.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,947 Posts
and,.

Attachments

·
livin' the dream......
1,945 Posts
I had a few super deep powder daze at Wolf Creek about 12 years ago. It was absolutley amazing. I remember skiing the waterfall area and getting towed back to the base by a snow cat dragging a really long rope. It's been waaaaaay too long since I've been there. Great pics!

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
chollaball said:
left Phx thursday at 3:30, got in to Pagosa Springs at midnight, saw some of the Geminid meteor shower during the drive, up at 6:30 for 1st chair. ride til close, hot tub, eat, crash at 9, repeat, repeat and drive home. very tiring 3 days, but can't beat the conditions and only $350 each for 3 days of waist-deep powder.

Wolf Creek has an awesome, unpretentious vibe. the lodge side is fun with "traditional" layout. the far side of the mtn is only steeps, paths and cattracks with no runs per-se just pick your way through the trees to the bottom. it can be hard on boarders and new\intermediates skiers, you have to really think about your momentum and run-outs and enjoy tree skiing. powder was so deep, the steeps totally did not scare me but the flats were absolute death if you lost momentum. 1st tracks on anything but steep pitches buried the board. i flipped so many times i lost count, just had to keep clawing my way back up to being vertical and point downhill again. the churn stayed soft and was great riding if you stayed low and got aggressive.

1. 1st chair on Friday - snowed all day long and was about 10 degrees
2. 10 feet in the 2 weeks prior
3. bluebird day on Saturday
4. hiking Knife Ridge to some near-vertical dropins that were very very humbling. Alberta Peak in the background.
5. just before dropping down Alberta Peak into waist deep powder. hard 20 minute hike for 30 seconds of bliss, a short shot through the trees, to an even steeper 2nd pitch, then a tight but mild path into a final pitch called the Waterfall Area. the whole run took about an hour.
Awesome, I'll be there two months almost to the day today. Spending an entire week up there (with a sidetrip to Purgatory).

·
3,049 Posts
Damn Jason!

You got M all psyched to go skiing early next month; the one outdoor sport at which she utterly kicks my butt.

Have a good end to the rest of the year, holmes. :thumbsup:

·
Yay! Bikes !
1,761 Posts
you guys must be mistaken ... that isn't Arizona.

AZ is all hot and dusty, with lots of rocks and cactus.

;)

(j/k)

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
one more pic

Skinny-Tire - email me if you'd like some beta about the hill and a few good places in town.

Ionsmuse - it'll be good for ya to have your girl crush you :p. keeps balance in the relationship, and makes the rest of us feel good that you are, in fact, mortal.

thanks all for helping keep my stoke going!!! :thumbsup: hope everyone gets their fill this season.

and, a bad picture of a bluebird...it was cool to see it flittering around against a very grey sky

Attachments

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
2 weeks ago at WOLF

I was there 2 weeks ago. On Friday I experienced a white out on the slopes and a black out in Pagosa Springs! As a powder hound, I didn't mind the white out as I just stayed in the trees. Hotel room in the dark!
On Saturday an avalanche closed the Pagosa side of the pass so I hit the wonderful hot spring in town, best anywhere I've found. The South Fork side of the mountain rarely closes but much smaller town for food and lodging.
On Sunday there was 2' of dry sweet powder that I trashed all day. Whooohoooooo!
Visibility can get bad here at times, one day years ago, I couldn't see my red ski boots thru the fog. Driving was trecherous, having to put my right side tires in the drainage ditch to follow the road for 3 miles before I could see.
Another time I tried mountain biking the nearby Tewksberry Trail on the east side of the mountain. It's an ATV trail that was all dust, not a fun ride. Hear there's a trail network near the new part of Pagosa.
Skied Wolf Creek many times as I'm a powderhound and they get the most snow in the southwest.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts