Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, heres the delimmia that I am hopeing some computer expert can shed some light on. I am trying to use and old windows 98 laptop for e-mail/web surfing at local free wireless hotspots. I believe windows XP and 2000 automatically seached for available wireless signals which you can easily connect to. However the windows 98 does not search and you have to know details about the wireless signal. Anyone know if there is a patch or update or something that enables a windows 98 computer to automatically find available wireless connections? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Wizard of the Trail
912 Posts
yeah, i would ditch 98 if your laptop can do it. I have no idea what your specs on that machine are. You must meet minimum req. to install it or it will run slow. Also, you can use the software the comes with the wireless adapter to find signals. Another program is called net stumbler that will give you the details so you can plug it in. It will tell you if the signal is encrypted or not. You can google it or go to majorgeeks.com

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. The computer is too much of a dog to upgrade to XP or 2000. I just want to be able to check email and the web. I will look into the net stumbler. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.