Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my quest to keep my kid involved in sports, specially mountain biking I'm at the point of offering a new bike if he brings good grades at the end of the semester.

He has some speach/learning disabilities that make him work extra hard at school but his grades have been going down recently and his passion for riding has been going the same way. Everytime we talk about cycling you can see the fire on his eyes but recently he doesn't want to ride at all and it's gaining weight.

During the christmas break he asked for a new FS rig but I couldn't find anything affordable small enough for him and he asked me if a road bike small enough for him existed. I didn't knew but after receiving the latest issue of Bicycling I saw the Trek KDR 1000.

Will it be worth the expense?

If I go this way, I'll be needing one for me too, any recomendations on a affordable (less than 1k) 50cm rodie for daddy?

Thanks

·
Registered
630 Posts
In my experience...

The most important thing is to find what he's interested in. Road bikes, mountain bikes, barbie dolls, whatever. For me it was Motocross.

I would get him the bike now to get the ball rolling and let him continue to ride as long as he improves on a weekly basis. Obviously, there is a consequence of not improving and the effect is immediate.

I hope it works out for you.

C

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Hotrock FSR was a candidate last year but it looked small for him, he test rode one. We looked for a XXS 26" mtb but the choices were not many and on the expensive side (Titus Racer X, Kona Stinky Jr. or custom).

He's been riding a Diamondback Octane 24" for the last 2.5 seasons, he has shown good overall skills and wants a shot at DH too and that was the reason we were looking for a FS MTB. Jamis was a good choice but we decided to wait a little more.

Here's a pic of him in action

The road bike is for training, his heart is on the trails.

We just arrived from a short road ride on our mtbs and all he was saying on our way back was "I want the roadie".

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
"I want the roadie"

I can't let my eight year old see this thread. She is already gunning for a Specialized HotRock. We did our first singletrack ride together today! I am one proud Daddy!

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Frozenspokes said:
I can't let my eight year old see this thread. She is already gunning for a Specialized HotRock. We did our first singletrack ride together today! I am one proud Daddy!
The Hotrock is a sweet kids bike and the suspension really works, its a bit heavy but all kids bikes are the same way.

Congrats on the singletrack ride, they get hooked for good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.