Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a bachelor living in Canada. I wonder if I get married in the future, will the prospect of raising a family dampen my MTB activity? I hope that I won't become like Ted Bundy from TV show or Homer simpson with beer belly. I dread of that image in the future.

There are many, many bachelor in Canada whom are very much afraid getting married since the economy had deteriorated significantly over last decade. It is already expensive living as bachelor. Alot of them are hesitant of finding a wife because of future financial problems that may arise.

·
Gittyup!
528 Posts
Picard said:
There are many, many bachelor in Canada whom are very much afraid getting married since the economy had deteriorated significantly over last decade. It is already expensive living as bachelor. Alot of them are hesitant of finding a wife because of future financial problems that may arise.
No problem Picard. Just get married and live the DINK life - Dual Income No Kids. It'll be just like having a roomate and splitting all your expenses... you'll pay 50% of what you do now! All for the small price of a marriage licence, you'll be able to save twice as much as you do now. Nice theory, eh?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Picard said:
I am a bachelor living in Canada. I wonder if I get married in the future, will the prospect of raising a family dampen my MTB activity? I hope that I won't become like Ted Bundy from TV show or Homer simpson with beer belly. I dread of that image in the future.

That doesn't make sense. I thought everything was better in Canada?? But you have my sympathy. Yes your activity will slow down temporarily if you have kids. But if you marry a woman MTBer then you can count on getting out again later when they are old enough to ride. Don't overlook road riding and bike commuting to stay in shape.

My husband is my riding buddy, though he's been down and out for a couple years due to bad knees then complicatiosn from a knee-replacement operation. He's just now coming back to where he can ride 10 miles or so of jeep trail. Kids are grown, so no hassle there. One nice thing about getting old. :cool:

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
economy gone down the sewer !

MTDirtGirl said:
That doesn't make sense. I thought everything was better in Canada?? But you have my sympathy. Yes your activity will slow down temporarily if you have kids. But if you marry a woman MTBer then you can count on getting out again later when they are old enough to ride. Don't overlook road riding and bike commuting to stay in shape.

My husband is my riding buddy, though he's been down and out for a couple years due to bad knees then complicatiosn from a knee-replacement operation. He's just now coming back to where he can ride 10 miles or so of jeep trail. Kids are grown, so no hassle there. One nice thing about getting old. :cool:
Situation has worsen for past decade. I can't place blame on a single factor but a University grad in any field has extremely bad time looking for jobs. They will be lucky if they find a job in their field. Many Engineering, IT grads now don't have jobs period !! Graduates are paid McJobs wages. I am serious. Alot of pro veterans in the IT field are upset too. Their salaries have drop by 70% with no or little benefit. Car insurance rate sky rocket to unbelievable rate despite your good record. Car insurance, employment, healthcare have become a very contending issues in Canada. Many people are reluctant to drive their car because of fear of accidents which will drive up insurance rate.

Old people in Canada now worry that pension are disapearring too due to high cost basic goods. Somebody in the gov't has certainly screwed up royally. The gov't is in bed with the insurance industry. Everyone knows the former premiere of Ontario, Ernie Eves, drafted the new bill for insurance industry after they made very large contribution to his election campaign. The system is turned upsidedown. Honest politicians are actually being blacklist and expelled from office for their brave work in protecting the public. What the system needs is a fumigation to clean out the crockroaches.

·
nobody
490 Posts
Picard said:
I'm married and we have 2 boys ages 4 and (almost) 6. My wife rides with me occasionally but understands that if I go for a long time (read more than a week) without riding, I become a total pain in the a$$ and as a result I end up riding the same amount, if not more than when I was single. She's real supportive of me that way. In fact sometimes she makes me go! But it works both ways so sometimes you gotta give and let her do the things she wants to do. I also commute by bike to make up for time I might not get in the saddle on the dirt. Riding so much on the road makes me appreciate single track a lot more.

With the kids, you just gotta get them involved in riding and be creative. When they were small (1-2ish) I bought a bike trailer and I'd haul them around town to different parks to let them play and most of the time we'd end up going for ice cream on the way home. Let me tell you, that's not a bad way to spend a Saturday. Last year when my oldest turned 5 I bought an Adams Trail-A-Bike and rigged that thing up to my Single speed after dropping a gear and we did some serious biking together. He'd be fine going up to 10 miles with me. Plus, doing 10 miles with him worked my legs more than I normally get on an all day epic and made me a much stronger rider.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that there's ways you can find to ride. Money is sometimes tight and I've had to choose between spending money on my kids so they can bike with me and upgrading my wheels or fork but I think it's totally worth it to skip upgrades and get your kids out there with you.

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
it depends on a lot of things, like who you marry, where you live, how much you want to ride, how much you work,etc,etc...i have 2 kids and a great wife (i mean great) and i ride quite a bit still, 3-4 times a week..but i have a great work schedule that helps too

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
As we all know, the universal determining factor of whether or not to get married is its affect on mountain biking. It's right there at the top of Chapter 1 of the manual "So You Wanna Get Married"

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
actually..

..it doesn''t seem that much differnt from politics in the US where Bush brand is in bed with rich corporations.

Eh--let's get back to ridin' talk. I think a S.O. helps the biking cause. If'n they wanna be wid a bikin' fool they'll be whether they bike or not---SOs make great support teams:)

Picard said:
Situation has worsen for past decade. I can't place blame on a single factor but a University grad in any field has extremely bad time looking for jobs. They will be lucky if they find a job in their field. Many Engineering, IT grads now don't have jobs period !! Graduates are paid McJobs wages. I am serious. Alot of pro veterans in the IT field are upset too. Their salaries have drop by 70% with no or little benefit. Car insurance rate sky rocket to unbelievable rate despite your good record. Car insurance, employment, healthcare have become a very contending issues in Canada. Many people are reluctant to drive their car because of fear of accidents which will drive up insurance rate.

Old people in Canada now worry that pension are disapearring too due to high cost basic goods. Somebody in the gov't has certainly screwed up royally. The gov't is in bed with the insurance industry. Everyone knows the former premiere of Ontario, Ernie Eves, drafted the new bill for insurance industry after they made very large contribution to his election campaign. The system is turned upsidedown. Honest politicians are actually being blacklist and expelled from office for their brave work in protecting the public. What the system needs is a fumigation to clean out the crockroaches.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
You can look at it both ways: Non-mtb spouse can pick up the slack at home while you're out riding; MTB spouse won't complain that you never spend time with him/her. There are pros *and* cons.

·
Registered
649 Posts
shiggy said:
Based on your posts here, you do not have to worry about finding a wife.
Hehehe, funny cos it's true!!! :D
I think he should worry about crossing his bridges when he actually gets to them.

Plus i can't imagine most guys thinking that 'Gee, i can't go out with this chick or even marry her because the economy is bad!!' :rolleyes:

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
I started riding after getting married and having kids, 2 btw. I started riding with some folks from work early Saturday mornings and by noon I'l be back, that's was fine with her. Then the riding buddies went away and new ones were found and that's when the problems started, I was riding twice a week on a trail near work and most of the day on Sunday. She started to complain about the time I was spending on the bike, I reduced my riding time then and things got better with her.

Then the club and racing fever arrived, I raced for 2 seasons and the weekday rides started again plus a short ride on Saturday and all day Sunday. She noticed that my mood was changing and that the time we spent together was better (seems that riding helps deal with stress and temper). After those 2 racing seasons I decided to get away from the club and racing and decided to just ride for fun (have lost the passion) and to get my son involved.

I eventually joined the local mtb comission and I'm in charge of their kids/youth program. I desing courses, register and perform kids races plus attend all the comission meetings and do trail maintenance with some of the teams. I keep myself involved because I love the sport and love to see the kids race, I ocassionally race XC on the SS and 24hrs once a year.

My wife realized how big mountain biking is for me and our son, accepts it, does all the statistical work for the comisson and does the registration for the kids races. My wife and daughter don't ride anything on 2 wheels but both have realized that the boys on the household enjoy cycling so much that they support us 100%.

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,326 Posts
SLinBend said:
Nice theory, eh?
Yep, only doesn't work that easy! though been married goin' on 16 years...pretty crazy. who would've though it would have lasted this long. Pretty fun ride so far might as stay on for some mo fun!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Picard said:

Picard
You are obviously from the east. We in the west have been trying for years to get a responsible federal government, but the eastern vote has more strength that ours. Glad to see that some of you are finally starting to see the results of poor government. The economy in the west is very strong and there are lots of jobs if you're looking (maybe not in your field, but a lot of engineering jobs are available)

·
Registered
353 Posts
shiggy said:
Based on your posts here, you do not have to worry about finding a wife.
LOL. I was thinking the same thing, then realized he's from Quebec. My guess is that English is not his first language.

As for real advice, do what I did (been married for 13 years next month). When you find the right person, you need to tell her, up front, that you love to bike (in my case, it was skiing), you have been biking for years, it's who you are, and you plan on continuing to ride a couple of days a week. That's who you are, and supposedly she would love you for who you are, and you don't plan on letting her change you. If she can't live with that, then you two aren't compatible and shouldn't get hitched. If she can live with that, then great. Maybe she'll take up riding to spend time with you, or maybe it'll give her time for her own hobbies while you're out riding.

My wife also knows that I am a much more pleasant person to be around if I can get out and ride/ski on a very regular basis. Especially if work or commuting is getting stressful. But right now, it's a problem getting any sympathy, because she's pregnant with triplets! :eek:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Tech support responds

Picard said:

Dear Tech Support:

Last year I upgraded from Girlfriend 7.0 to Wife 1.0. I soon noticed that the new program began unexpected child processing that took up a lot of space and valuable resources.

In addition, Wife 1.0 installed itself into all other programs and now monitors all other system activity. Applications such as Poker Night 10.3, Beer Drinking 5.0, Hunting and Fishing 7.5, and Golf 3.6 no longer run, crashing the system whenever selected.

I can't seem to keep Wife 1.0 in the background while attempting to run my favorite applications. I'm thinking about going back to Girlfriend 7.0, but the uninstall doesn't work on Wife 1.0. Please help!

Thanks

Many people upgrade from Girlfriend 7.0 to Wife 1.0, thinking that it is just a Utilities and Entertainment program. Wife 1.0 is an OPERATING SYSTEM and is designed by its Creator to run EVERYTHING!!!

It is also impossible to delete Wife 1.0 and to return to Girlfriend 7.0. It is impossible to uninstall, or purge the program files from the system once installed.

You cannot go back to Girlfriend 7.0 because Wife 1.0 is designed to not allow this. Look in your Wife 1.0 manual under "Warnings-Alimony/Child-Support".

I recommend that you keep Wife 1.0 and work on improving the situation. I suggest installing the background application "Yes Dear" to alleviate software augmentation.

The best course of action is to enter the command C:\APOLOGIZE because ultimately you will have to give the APOLOGIZE command before the system will return to normal anyway.

Wife 1.0 is a great program, but it tends to be very high maintenance.

Wife 1.0 comes with several support programs, such as Clean and Sweep 3.0, Cook It 1.5 and Pay Bills 4.2.

However, be very careful how you use these programs. Improper use will cause the system to launch the program Nag Nag Nag 9.5. Once this happens, the only way to improve the performance of Wife 1.0 is to purchase additional software. I recommend Flowers 2.1 and Diamonds 5.0 !

WARNING!!! DO NOT, under any circumstance, install Secretary With Short Skirt 3.3. This application is not supported by Wife 1.0 and will cause irreversible damage to the operating system.

Best of luck,

Tech Support

old_dude

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
old_dude said:
Dear Tech Support:

Last year I upgraded from Girlfriend 7.0 to Wife 1.0. I soon noticed that the new program began unexpected child processing that took up a lot of space and valuable resources.

In addition, Wife 1.0 installed itself into all other programs and now monitors all other system activity. Applications such as Poker Night 10.3, Beer Drinking 5.0, Hunting and Fishing 7.5, and Golf 3.6 no longer run, crashing the system whenever selected.\

I can't seem to keep Wife 1.0 in the background while attempting to run my favorite applications. I'm thinking about going back to Girlfriend 7.0, but the uninstall doesn't work on Wife 1.0. Please help!

Thanks

Many people upgrade from Girlfriend 7.0 to Wife 1.0, thinking that it is just a Utilities and Entertainment program. Wife 1.0 is an OPERATING SYSTEM and is designed by its Creator to run EVERYTHING!!!

It is also impossible to delete Wife 1.0 and to return to Girlfriend 7.0. It is impossible to uninstall, or purge the program files from the system once installed.

You cannot go back to Girlfriend 7.0 because Wife 1.0 is designed to not allow this. Look in your Wife 1.0 manual under "Warnings-Alimony/Child-Support".

I recommend that you keep Wife 1.0 and work on improving the situation. I suggest installing the background application "Yes Dear" to alleviate software augmentation.

The best course of action is to enter the command C:\APOLOGIZE because ultimately you will have to give the APOLOGIZE command before the system will return to normal anyway.

Wife 1.0 is a great program, but it tends to be very high maintenance.

Wife 1.0 comes with several support programs, such as Clean and Sweep 3.0, Cook It 1.5 and Pay Bills 4.2.

However, be very careful how you use these programs. Improper use will cause the system to launch the program Nag Nag Nag 9.5. Once this happens, the only way to improve the performance of Wife 1.0 is to purchase additional software. I recommend Flowers 2.1 and Diamonds 5.0 !

WARNING!!! DO NOT, under any circumstance, install Secretary With Short Skirt 3.3. This application is not supported by Wife 1.0 and will cause irreversible damage to the operating system.

Best of luck,

Tech Support

old_dude
great joke old dude. It lessen the stress I feele each day.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
If you think it will slow you down, it will.

To be sincere, yes. It will take you time and money from riding and all things bike related.

How much?? It does not depends on economics but rather more on who do you marry with.

My wife had been very supportive. She "allows" me to spend money on MTB stuff always we don't have any other "household priority". In layman's terms... ifthe kid needs diapers and she's wearing the same blouse since three months ago, I have no right to lust after a X.0 derrailleur...

OTOH... recently I got a raise and a bonus, some money is going to our moving and I was able to get a used ride (I was bikeless before) and by next month I'll get a nice fork.

Marriage is not the hell.. there are many wonderful things about it. Just think a bit about this... how would you feel if your father confeses that he didn't wanted to get married and have kids just to continue supporting his bachelor's hobbies???????

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.