Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took a breather from the tasks at hand, much too many for old retired people, and went mountain biking and paddling far northern California.

Here's a short video I put together paddling on a spring early summer lake that is a meadow by labor day. We paddled amoung skeleton trees and lava piles on a cool morning with perfect reflections.

We always carry a boat when there's any chance of good paddling. We carry a kevlar canoe but there are a million different kayaks out there. If you have little room, there are now inflatables that rival hard shell boats in performance.

No names. Sorry, we've seen another boat here only once in many visits and I just don't want that info on a public forum. If you're interested, message me and I'll get back to you.

By the way, five paddles on four water bodies, six rides, one on a trail I just won't name here.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are two ways to align the blades. Feathered is when the blades are not parallel to each other. You twist the paddle when moving side to side. It is most popular because the up paddle is edge on to the wind.

Paddles are also paddled with the blades in the same plane. I do this because both wrists have been damaged repeatedly skiing etc and the twist doesn't go over well. Outside of a windy day, there is really no difference. On a windy day however, those very long double paddles are like having a motor compared to the traditional paddles.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Telemike! What a beautiful place! Is love to know where that is. Always looking for new adventures with my family. Thank you for sharing.
And you can hold your paddles any way you please!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
F*** it
1,277 Posts
That was really cool, thanks. I was going to guess Waldo Lake until I read that it's in Norcal--and that it's kind of like a big vernal pool, complete with fairy shrimp!

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,137 Posts
Man, am I behind the times. Since when did paddles used for Kayaking switch over to canoes?

Nice relaxing video and scenic spot, thanks for sharing.

·
Cycologist
10,359 Posts
Man, am I behind the times. Since when did paddles used for Kayaking switch over to canoes?

I don't think they really have, but maybe they work better in such shallow water? Or whatever floats your boat. Hey, you know where that line is going!

I was surprised at the end when I saw that there was a dog in the canoe the whole time! Maybe I missed that at the beginning?

And I never knew kayak paddles were feathered to cut through the wind, I always thought it was just for more natural hand rotation. And I am an occasional kayaker.

·
Rocks belong
5,371 Posts
Jealous you can get your dog not only in the boat, but to relax like that. Our two dogs would be an awkward mix of legs and tails and snouts.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
I don't think they really have, but maybe they work better in such shallow water? Or whatever floats your boat. Hey, you know where that line is going!

I was surprised at the end when I saw that there was a dog in the canoe the whole time! Maybe I missed that at the beginning?

And I never knew kayak paddles were feathered to cut through the wind, I always thought it was just for more natural hand rotation. And I am an occasional kayaker.
"Feathered to cut through the wind"?

Damn, how fast are you rowing???

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jealous you can get your dog not only in the boat, but to relax like that. Our two dogs would be an awkward mix of legs and tails and snouts.
She's thirteen years old now and has slowed down like us oldsters. She and her brother canoed from about six months on. I was quite insistent that they sit or lie in the boat, never stand and they got used to that pretty quickly.

When we had the two in the boat, we put a bag chair on each side of Freckles and two rolled mats, on on either side, of Emmy to keep their weight in the center, more or less.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

I always wondered why nobody tried that. As a kayaker and a rower, I always preferred facing in the direction I was moving across the water.
I noticed you got foot braces too, no?

·
Log off and go ride!
1,874 Posts

Depends upon how you attached the beer can holder to the shaft.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.