Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really- what exactly do you guys do with them? I know there`s a forum specifically for the topic, but they have no sticky and it was all Greek to me, so I`m trying here where I`m more comfortable.

My wife bought me one for my birthday- Garmin eTrex Legend and the only thing I know for sure it will do is pinpoint where I am on a map. I appreciate her thinking of me, but honestly I don`t know how to put this thing to use and I don`t want to hurt her feelings by stashing it in the closet until the end of time. Since I seldom have any trouble figuring out where on the map I am, are there other things they`re good for? Those ride reports that people sometimes post with neat maps and accompanying data- are those generated by the GPS receiver, a home computer, or some website you have to connect to? Would they be generated by a different type of GPS? If I take it with me on tours, should it track my elevation proflies and stuff without burning up batteries over the course of a several day ride? That one is probably in the instructions somewhere, but I haven`t gotten to it yet.

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, yes- Motionbased. I went to their website and it looks like that`s what I`ve seen posted here on mtbr. Cool stuff. I know that different recievers have different capabilities and features depending on what kind of use they`re designed for- hopefully mine will be able to generate those cool profiles and reports. I`m leaving Saturday on a four day tour and don`t have time to play with it yet, so that`s going to have to wait until I get back. Anyway, that`s pretty much what I was asking about, C.K. Thanks.

Redmon, I take it you had an iterresting navigation challenge at Little Creek?

EDIT: It supposedly comes with a preloaded map, but that particular map seems to be very rough- when I turned on the unit and it found a signal, I could see a "you are here" kinda symbol and a chunk of Hwy 395, but when I tried zooming it in all I got was a nicely zoomed blank. Comes with a map CD too, but my computer didn`t recognize the CD, so I`ll try on my brother`s computer and see what that gets me. It looks like I`m definitely going to have to wait for the next trip to try it out.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I use one on occassion...

I have a Garmin 60csx, it's a pretty good unit for general purposes but is not bike specific. I only use it when I'm riding an area that I have no idea where I am at, or if I want to find or mark a specific trail or feature.

I usually just turn on the "track back" feature, it leaves a line or "track" on the GPS map screen of where you have traveled, so theoretically you could follow the track back to where you started from. I also first mark a waypoint at the trailhead (car) whenever I am in an unfamiliar area, that way you will always know where you started from even if you take a different trail back to the TH.

If you are going to ride a new (to you) trail that you can find a GPS route for somewhere on the internet, Moab comes to mind, you can download that route to your GPS reciever using free software like EasyGPS. Then when you get to the trailhead you just bring up the saved route and the GPS will show you the way. This is handy if you dont know where you are going, but you have to find a saved route somewhere, which is not always easy.

I keep the reciever in my jersey pocket and when I want to use it I stop and grab it. It recieves fine in my pocket and is there when I need it, the rest of the info. my cycling computer tells me.

If I know where Im going, I dont bother with GPS.

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Norris_Hanna said:
If you are going to ride a new (to you) trail that you can find a GPS route for somewhere on the internet, Moab comes to mind, you can download that route to your GPS reciever using free software like EasyGPS. Then when you get to the trailhead you just bring up the saved route and the GPS will show you the way.
Oh yeah- now that you mention it, I`ve seen links for that kind of stuff and read people on the forums offer GPSified routes to other guys. It`s sounding cooler all the time- I`m glad I asked. Good idea about marking the trailhead too. Thanks for the tip.

·
Single Malt
958 Posts
Bread-crumb Trail

A group of @ 7-9 riders were being lead by 2 riders who were the only people in the group who know the route. 4.1 miles into the ride my wife takes a fall on the slickrock and breaks her arm. Not only do we not know the way back to the truck, there really is not even a trail to follow, since we were riding in this giant valley of slickrock!!! I was not paying much attention to the route, because I was caught up in the moment of being on an awesome ride with a bunch of good people! Jen could not ride her bike so Matt,(thanks Matt), and myself had to navigate 3 bikes, 4.1 miles back to the truck. Our Forerunners have a bread-crumb feature that lets you retrace you route back to the start. Even with this feature it was not completly simple, since there were several areas where we had stopped to "session" a particular feature over and over. On the way back we kind of had to re-create the route to allow the bread-crumb feature to unwind itself and move on!!! If we did not have our Forerunners with us that day one of the group leaders would of had to bail on the ride and get us back to the truck. We were in a very remote area. I won't hardly ride without mine, especially in an area I've never beenbefore!!

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
Great example ^ ^ ^

It is amazing how easy it is to get lost on slickrock, even when there is a "trail" to follow. It's easy to get lost anywhere that you don't ride all the time. It's also nice if you ever do need emergency help you can tell them your exact position, this makes rescue alot faster and easier for everyone. I've taken some flak from people in the past for "taking too much time fiddling with that GPS", the funny thing is that those people were following and had no idea where we were going or how to get back on their own :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.