Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Rigid in Evergreen
1,538 Posts
I'm very much against any carrier-locked Android phone since Google seems incapable of convincing the carriers to update to newer versions of Android (apparently Microsoft is already having the same problem with Windows Phone7 updates)... the carriers seem more interested in selling you a new phone, rather than updating your existing phone to a newer version of Android when Google releases it (the other part of the reason seems to be that the handset manufacturers and carriers don't want to have to update their crapware for every device / Android version combination, they would rather focus on their "new" models).

I have a Google Nexus One that I use on AT&T (bought from Google, so no AT&T restrictions on what version of Android I run or whose SIM I use in it), but until Android gets decent media player capabilities, cleans up their app store (which they are supposedly doing right now) and makes some UI improvements, I'll keep using my iP4.

·
Registered
450 Posts
If I had to choose between those two, I'd go Thunderbolt. I'd recommend the HTC Incredible instead though, the 4g data packages are going to suck from verizon, and their 4g system won't really be available everywhere for another 2 years, when better phones will be out anyway. Get an incredible for free, its almost the same phone as the Thunderbolt, I love mine.

I am not a hardware/software maven though, I don't care about having the latest version of android...can I make phone calls, can I send/receive e-mail? Thats pretty much what I need, along with Angry Birds :)

·
Now with 20% more fat!!
2,031 Posts
I have to support all the smart phones you can think of in corporate environments... What are you using the phone for - do you need to connect it to your work email (is it Exchange and which version?) - do you travel abroad much - do you run Mac or Win or Linux at home - how techie/nerdy are you - will you hack your phone?

I switch phones a few times a year for work. I've had several HTC phones at release (Touch pro - touch pro2 - etc) - and lately have been running the Epic 4G (work phones are on Sprint). I'd take the Android over the HTC offerings. I've had most iPhone versions for personal use on AT&T.

Phone to phone and apps to apps, I'd say the iPhone still is way more friendly and usable than the HTC and android phones. If you are a Mac person, then iPhone hands down. If you are a Windows/Linux person, then it would be between the Android and iPhone - I'd still probably go iPhone, but there are good arguments for Android (depending on your answers above)...

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I have been using an iPhone for about 3 1/2 years and just recently have been using a droid (HTC Incredible) for work (about 4 months). I know that there are a lot of fans of both, and I like a couple of things the droid can do that the iphone can't (voice search for navigation, for instance), but the iPhone is by far a superior device and software- I find it to be much more intuitive to use, cleaner, and more robust. Just my experience.

·
..ouch
2,028 Posts
JSD303 said:
I have to support all the smart phones you can think of in corporate environments... What are you using the phone for - do you need to connect it to your work email (is it Exchange and which version?) - do you travel abroad much - do you run Mac or Win or Linux at home - how techie/nerdy are you - will you hack your phone?
^ That... I rooted my Android phone the day I got it and upgraded to a custom Froyo ROM the moment it was available. If you lean towards geekiness then the Android platform is far more extensible and useful than the iPhone by a long shot. If you don't want to screw around with your phone and like easy, out of the box functionality then the iPhone is the ticket. My wife had the iPhone 3G > 3GS > 4 and then finally moved to Android when she saw what I'm doing with mine... but she would not be an Android fan if she didn't have built-in tech support at home.

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
SylentK said:
Apple iPhone 4

HTC Thunderbolt (due out Feb 14 from Best Buy only)
This isn't for you, is it? I thought Verizon didn't work at your house.

Denver is one of the first 4g cities, but the fruity phone is 3g only til the next release.

I'll probably be getting a TBolt when my upgrade comes up in March...

·
Registered
744 Posts
I just got a Droid-x after having an Iphone since they came out. So far I like it more, it's faster (than my 1st edition Iphone) I get better service, much bigger screen, and better camera. Maybe it's just because it's new but I really feel like the android allows me more choices in how to do things. My wife got the Incredible and she loves it so far, very similar to the droid only smaller and the buttons are easier to use.

I haven't used the Iphone 4 so can't compare side by side, but my iphone kinda sucked after a while, it stopped ringing, and vibrating, so I always had to call people back. I also could never hear anything because it was so quiet. I'm sure that is something that they fixed in newer models but I hated mine.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I love my Droid X.

Check two apps: Swype and Google Sky. Not available in the Jobs limited world.

Even if you don't root, you can get apps according to YOUR rules and not Steve Jobs.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
topmounter said:
I'm very much against any carrier-locked Android phone since Google seems incapable of convincing the carriers to update to newer versions of Android (apparently Microsoft is already having the same problem with Windows Phone7 updates)... the carriers seem more interested in selling you a new phone, rather than updating your existing phone to a newer version of Android when Google releases it (the other part of the reason seems to be that the handset manufacturers and carriers don't want to have to update their crapware for every device / Android version combination, they would rather focus on their "new" models).

I have a Google Nexus One that I use on AT&T (bought from Google, so no AT&T restrictions on what version of Android I run or whose SIM I use in it), but until Android gets decent media player capabilities, cleans up their app store (which they are supposedly doing right now) and makes some UI improvements, I'll keep using my iP4.

Not sure that is their real motivation. The carriers make money on the plans, but not really the phones.. The carriers give you a good deal on a phone and subsidize them. They only do this to lock you in for two years. If they know they have you for years to come, they couldn't care less if you buy a new phone.

They put these "Skins" on your phone to keep you from doing things like free tethering, taking advantage of the real power of the phone without their control. Plus it keeps you from deleting the installed bloatware that they get kickbacks from.

One can root the phone and do whatever they want.

I like both the Android OS and Apples OS..and I do like the UI better on the Iphone. But the one thing I like about my droid is that I can use my GPS mapping app with it in airplane mode. No burning battery when the phone has no service but I can have the GPS on.

Oh yes, and Skype is the new paradigm in text entry. I can't imagine a touch screen using anything else. Sad it's not on the Iphone.

skiahh said:
....Google Sky. Not available in the Jobs limited world.
Actually, The iPhone has a really good equivalent, might even be better ....But it's a whopping $5 ;)

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I've seen the iphone's sky program and it's a good planitarium program that shows you the sky... but the sky doesn't move with your phone and show you what you're pointing the phone at, azimuth and elevation-wise!

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
skiahh said:
I've seen the iphone's sky program and it's a good planitarium program that shows you the sky... but the sky doesn't move with your phone and show you what you're pointing the phone at, azimuth and elevation-wise!
Either I was tricked, or it was another app. Whatever I saw seemed like Google sky to me--but with better graphics. It worked exactly like Google's. We even held our phones side-by-side comparing.

But why should I even care, I have a droidX.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Jdub said:
How many apps are available on the iPhone and not on Droid?
Not a lot. You can always find an equivalent on the droid. But there are a couple really clean and well done apps on the iphone I wish I had on my droid. I found similar ones but they were just not as good as the iphone versions.

The BS is that when there are hundreds of thousands of apps, it's meaningless in a sense. Some apps, have hundreds of the same concept. Some are simply sound bites. Some are photo galleries. There is a lot of noise in the app world. This can be a negative since it makes a user waste time trying apps and getting malware.

There might be a lot of apps, but there are not a lot of good ones in either case.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
I just went from my venerable Samsung flip phone (that I've dropped regularly, open or shut, for years and it still worked perfectly) to an HTC EVO Shift 4G. It's got Android 2.2. And it's on Sprint, not Verizon. I've read that Sprint's "customer service" rating is now #1 after lagging behind everyone else for years. Like, you call them for a problem and most likely the person answering the call knows the answer and you don't get transferred around from Bombay to Manilla to Caracas till somebody knows.

So far all I've needed to do is make/receive phone calls, check my business email and calendar. I use my car's GPS. I spend so much time at my desk using a real computer/keyboard that I haven't tried doing much with the slide out keyboard on the Shift. Haven't used 4G yet, either, although apparently 4G is all over the Denver area for my phone.

So if you're looking for an expert's opinion on the Shift you won't find it in this reply. Sorry. :D

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dbabuser said:
This isn't for you, is it? I thought Verizon didn't work at your house.

Denver is one of the first 4g cities, but the fruity phone is 3g only til the next release.

I'll probably be getting a TBolt when my upgrade comes up in March...
You are correct. It isn't for me. You know I have the EVO. Which is awesome. This is for a buddy who is fed up with ATT. He just pre-ordered the Tbolt. Interesting since he's been a non-geek, Mac/iphone lover for quite a while.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, some real phone techies on the forum. Nice!

So what are the main benefits of hacking/rooting your phone? Apparently I'm late to this party...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.