Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to go to B-ham for business. I'm staying downtown at the Embassy Suites (And I don't want to eat at Ruth's Chris, even if it IS on the company) so can anyone suggest a good place to get dinner.

Things I like:
Local (Something I can't get in every city in the USA)
Also, if there is a local specialty
descent scene to maybe drink a good beer or watch a game or something
etc...

I'm not a night owl, not really into clubs and stuff. Just looking for a good place to get some food and kill a few hours after a busy day of working.

Thanks.

M

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
If you like really good Southwestern cuisine, go to Cocina Superior in the Brookwood Village Mall. Not just your standard taco's and burrito's but really good food. Or you could try Flemings (Expensive) on Hwy 280

·
Registered
102 Posts
You may wanna try Dreamland BBQ on southside. The original is actually in Tuscaloosa but hey its darn good barbeque. But if you're looking for something a little high class Highlands and Botega are both very good, and owned by the same chef. Or if you want good pizza you could try Jim Davenport's pizza palace, which is about 5 minutes from ruths chris. I like my food almost as much as I like to ride.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I will second the Dreamland. I have never been to the one in Bham but go to the one in Tuscaloosa when I am there. Just beef ribs and white bread.

Jitterbugs in the Holiday in in Homewood is a good place to get a beer or 12. If you get there early it won't have the nightclub feel. After 10 it will be packed. They have tv's and stuff. That is where I stay if I am in Bham just because I don't have to drive anywhere once I check in.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, that creates quite the cunundrum...

BBQ
Southwestern *
Pizza

Three great foods, only two nights to eat!

* Southwestern food is my absolute favorite. I was a chef in a Southwestern Restaurant in the late 80's and early - mid 90's. The Coyote Cafe craze was in full swing, and we were doing fusion food every night on the specials board. Still love to cook it, and still love to eat it. Really like mixing oriental ingredients with SW themes... (You shoulda had our SW-Roll Sushi, MMMmmm).

Check out my "OT: Pepper Passion" thread on the Passion Board...:D

So, is Cucina Superior a place that puts chef's specials on the board each night? Or is it mostly ordering from the menu?

Also, what is BBQ in AL?

Again, thanks, this is already plenty to think about, keep the good ideas coming.

·
Registered
453 Posts
bmateo said:
Also, what is BBQ in AL?

Even if it is lunch try Dreamland. the ribs are cooked on an open fire (you can see it in Tuscaloosa). You get the ribs, a stack of white bread, and a cup of BBQ sauce for dipping the bread. The sauce is pretty damn good. All of this comes on styrofoam plates. They have good sweet t and cold beer.

FYI, if you order the rib sandwich it is not really a sandwich, it is just a smaller portion of the ribs.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Dreamland has great ribs, but if you like regular BBQ, you might want to check out Jim-n-Nicks. They have really good bbq.

There are some good pizza places in Homewood (very close to the Embassy Suites).

There are some other good restaurants around, just let us know what you're looking for.

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
The food at Cocina Superior is kind of a fusion. It has some very unusual combinations that combine foods not normally associated with Mexico. And their salad dressing is the best. I have the spinach tortillas with chicken, It is absolutely the best. Very fresh and more than enough to fill you up. They also have extensive wine and beer selections as well.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MtBkrJoe said:
Dreamland has great ribs, but if you like regular BBQ, you might want just let us know what you're looking for.
Anything special, eclectic, or what I can't get here.

I'm not a vegetarian by any means, but don't mind eating in cool little hippie places.
I love any form of BBQ and/or Pork, but don't want to just eat a 32 oz steak and feel gorged.
I have absolutely no issue whatesoever being the token white-guy in a soul-food place, or the token ****** in a good Mexican place where they serve authentic food, but don't care for the mexican places that all have the same 53 different combo meals for under 6 bucks.
Love me some Asian (thai, vietnamese, etc) but don't really care for a standard chinese menu and absolutely HATE the japanese steak-houses where they juggle your food and give you that crappy pink-sauce (for Goodness sake, just serve it, don't play with it...:) )

And while I don't really care for national chain restaurants (because I can catch those at home any time) I don't have any problem going to a regional chain if it's good.

So, the main thing is good, unique, and a laid-back atmosphere...

Wow, I just babbled a lot.... :nono:

·
Not Smart Enough to Quit
644 Posts
scmtbiker said:
Even if it is lunch try Dreamland. the ribs are cooked on an open fire (you can see it in Tuscaloosa). You get the ribs, a stack of white bread, and a cup of BBQ sauce for dipping the bread. The sauce is pretty damn good. All of this comes on styrofoam plates. They have good sweet t and cold beer.

FYI, if you order the rib sandwich it is not really a sandwich, it is just a smaller portion of the ribs.
Oredering at Dreamland;

Waitress: How ya'll doin?
Me: great!
Waitress: what can I get you?
Me: do you have a menu?
Waiterss: You want a whole rack or a half rack?
Me: Uh, Do you have any sides?
Waitress: We got ribs, beer & bread.
Me: Is that all?
Waiterss: That's all you need

She was right! Like they say, Ain't nothin' like 'em no where!

BTW this was arounf 1 pm on a weekday & the places was PACKED!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure if you have been to the Bonefish Grill but they have great seafood. A little expensive but well worth it in my opinion. For an appetizer, you have to order the Bang Bang shrimp. Locaated across the streeet from the Wynfrey Hotel.

Brooks

·
Registered
216 Posts
Downtown near UAB, maybe 7th ave. south is The Burly Earl where you can get the "MacArthur". It's a sandwich with cheese, pastrami, and beef that gets entirely beer-battered and deep fried. Combo it with onion rings and beer. It's like a sore d1ck....hard to beat.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cleve Lansteamer said:
Downtown near UAB, maybe 7th ave. north is The Burly Earl where you can get the "MacArthur". It's a sandwich with cheese, pastrami, and beef that gets entirely beer-battered and deep fried. Combo it with onion rings and beer. It's like a sore d1ck....hard to beat.
Now you're talking (and believe me, I may have to go to every restaurant in the Southeast, but I'll find a way to beat it, I always do... hahahaha)

Me: Is that all?
Waiterss: That's all you need

She was right! Like they say, Ain't nothin' like 'em no where!

BTW this was arounf 1 pm on a weekday & the places was PACKED!
This place is on my list too. That is set!

Not sure if you have been to the Bonefish Grill but they have great seafood. A little expensive but well worth it in my opinion. For an appetizer, you have to order the Bang Bang shrimp. Locaated across the streeet from the Wynfrey Hotel.
Thanks, it sounds good, but there's at least three or four of them right here in RDU, so I'll just wait for another time. I'm really excited about ribs and beer, and deep fried pastrami.

My apologies right now if you happen to be flying beside me on Wednesday!!!:madmax: :D

Thanks all....

·
Registered
218 Posts
ROJO'S... the best Maji Maji tacos in town and reasonably priced too. Nice laid back location with some outdoor parks all around. Draws a half hippie crowd, and they have good drink specials if you get there before 7. One side of the menu is Mexican and the other is american. Burritos and burgers, you can't go wrong. But, then again I did just get back from Jim-N-Nick's... that beef brisket is hard to pass up. CK

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This thread is AWESOME. Now, when I get to town I'll just fire up the internet, read this and see how I feel. Plenty of options. (The fish tacos are really creating a canundrum for me, but that's good!)

Thanks, and keep em coming....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.